Hik vs Pulsar thermal

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Hik vs Pulsar thermal

Post by Shootermick » 18 Jul 2023, 9:15 pm

I’ve got two 223’s and I’ve decided to put a thermal on one of them. Never owned a thermal before.
A couple of choices that I’ve looked at in my local are the Pulsar Thermion XQ 50 pro and the Hikmicro Stellar SH 50. Pulsar about $4500, Hik about $4700.
Anyone had experience with one of them or both?
Or what others are worth looking at around the same amount of coin?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Hik vs Pulsar thermal

Post by niteowl » 18 Jul 2023, 10:37 pm

Haven't used that Pulsar model, but stopped selling any of them a long while back. Never touched "Hiko anything" because of the complaints around the world with faults.
Nothing else in that price range. I / we use nothing but genuine professional / military products.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 19 Jul 2023, 10:29 am

Pro shooter mates have only ever PULSAR due to the ruggedness, reliability and back up support.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 19 Jul 2023, 10:52 am

There's pros, then there are pros.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Billo » 19 Jul 2023, 11:23 am

mchughcb wrote:There's pros, then there are pros.

Is 3600 deer in a season enough, 10,000 roo's, and running a chiller box full time for 5 yrs qualify :lol: :o :thumbsup:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by niteowl » 19 Jul 2023, 11:42 am

It would take pages to explain it all here and some commercial in confidence details that cannot be stated.
Pulsar, in the earlier days was good value for money but started having major problems.
As I indicated, unfortunately "real" gear would cost over twice the comparative amount. It leaves the Chinese and "other" brands far behind, but can be depended on at all times.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 19 Jul 2023, 12:25 pm

niteowl I guess its hard to give honest feedback when you work in the space due to plenty of sellers and concentration of distribution..

In your opinion who offers the best warranty and service right now ? and who do you think makes the No1 gear at an affordable price say sub $7K ?
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by niteowl » 19 Jul 2023, 12:47 pm

Billo wrote:niteowl I guess its hard to give honest feedback when you work in the space due to plenty of sellers and concentration of distribution..

In your opinion who offers the best warranty and service right now ? and who do you think makes the No1 gear at an affordable price say sub $7K ?

Unfortunately the pricing is a problem. The genuine professional devices we use are $3-4000 (and up) above $7K you suggest. I can't give you a lot of details here as I am not a "commercial" member on this site.
I / we only do Govt work these days and use expensive items, BUT, many recreational and semi pro people use the same devices as they are exceptionally reliable, available in Australia etc.
Like I said there is a lot more to the story than I can put on here.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Peter988 » 19 Jul 2023, 8:51 pm

I have the ATN MARS 4 4.5-18x THERMAL RIFLE SCOPE on my 223. Very happy with it. Mate and I have been using ATN MARS for a couple years now.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Billo » 19 Jul 2023, 9:16 pm

Yeah niteowl I had noticed my mates are moving toward the more compact and affordable Thermals for the Sub 200m work, and 1 thermal is never enough once you start using them. :thumbsup:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 20 Jul 2023, 7:03 am

Hello Mate
I have the Pulsar Thermion XQ50. Its a good thermal scope.
I also bought the Thermion 2 XP50 Even better.
I looked at other thermal scopes and the Pulsar was the one that was recommended to me.
I also did some research on line and found the Pulsar to be the one that suited my needs.
Every year (Just like computers) a newer one comes out with upgraded bells and whistles etc etc.
If you can borrow one or manage to try one for a while you will love it.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 20 Jul 2023, 9:05 am

Bello wrote:Hello Mate
I have the Pulsar Thermion XQ50. Its a good thermal scope.
I also bought the Thermion 2 XP50 Even better.
I looked at other thermal scopes and the Pulsar was the one that was recommended to me.
I also did some research on line and found the Pulsar to be the one that suited my needs.
Every year (Just like computers) a newer one comes out with upgraded bells and whistles etc etc.
If you can borrow one or manage to try one for a while you will love it.

What rifle do you have your Pulsar on? What do you shoot and at what range?
I’m leaning towards one, but I know it’s about to be an older model. Newer and updated versions will supersede it. But it’s still probably fine for my uses, mainly foxes and kangaroos.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 20 Jul 2023, 1:31 pm

Hi Shootermick
I used to have my Pulsar Thermion XQ50 on my 223. It was great for foxes, Grass hoppers and small pigs up close.
It has a base magnification of 3, so was good for what I did, at night its usually 100 meters or so that I shoot.

I took it off my 223 and put it on my 22LR for close fox ad rabbit work.

On my 223 and 308 I now have the Thermion 2 XP50 LRF, the laser range finder makes it SO much easier being able to get the correct distance in the dark.
I like being able to video my shots as well.

I would have liked it to have a higher base magnification, Thermion 2 XP50 has a base magnification of 2.
The Thermion 2 XP50 has a much clearer image as well.
Expensive but good.
I also bought a hand held Axion 2 XG35 LRF and that save me looking through the scope to find game. Its good and clear but not as clear as the Thermion 2 scope.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics