Thermal zero

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Thermal zero

Post by Shootermick » 04 Aug 2023, 7:28 pm

I zeroed my new Hikmicro Panther, it worked well and was pretty easy with the freeze function.
But now the reticle is slightly off centre, although on target. It’s not really enough to notice, but when you put Picture in Picture on, you can see it.
Do other brands work like this? Or is there a way to put the reticle back in dead centre whilst keeping the zero? It’s not that much of an annoyance if it can’t be done. Maybe it’s just playing on my ocd.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Thermal zero

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2023, 8:01 pm

Shootermick wrote:I zeroed my new Hikmicro Panther, it worked well and was pretty easy with the freeze function.
But now the reticle is slightly off centre, although on target. It’s not really enough to notice, but when you put Picture in Picture on, you can see it.
Do other brands work like this? Or is there a way to put the reticle back in dead centre whilst keeping the zero? It’s not that much of an annoyance if it can’t be done. Maybe it’s just playing on my ocd.

Using an adjustable mount perhaps?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Aug 2023, 9:01 pm

Reticle maybe off-centre and especially with pip. It depends on brand and day night scopes suffer same problem
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Aug 2023, 9:37 pm

If it's still zeroed and its not ridiculously noticeable I'd definitely leave well enough alone.
But,,,, only after consulting the manufacturer and your warranty and be guided by what they say.
If they can't help by offering a solution, I wouldn't be tinkering with it.

Question,,, Was it something you've done that caused it,,,,,, or was it like it from new ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 04 Aug 2023, 9:44 pm

Die Judicii wrote:If it's still zeroed and its not ridiculously noticeable I'd definitely leave well enough alone.
But,,,, only after consulting the manufacturer and your warranty and be guided by what they say.
If they can't help by offering a solution, I wouldn't be tinkering with it.

Question,,, Was it something you've done that caused it,,,,,, or was it like it from new ?

If someone else looked through it, they probably wouldn’t notice. But I’ve since found out it’s normal. Reticle is centred from the factory, but when you zero it, the reticle moves to a new spot on the screen. So I’m happy with it. Was just trying to find out if I was doing something wrong. But in this case I wasn’t.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics