Which brand ??

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Which brand ??

Post by flashman » 12 Aug 2023, 10:41 am

Hi all just a quick question :after a thermal monocular ,been on the internet im just confused ,it will be used for hunting any help will be appreciated.........THANKS
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Which brand ??

Post by Shootermick » 12 Aug 2023, 11:04 am

I’m after one too, just got my first scope and worked out pretty quickly that I now need a monocular.
My short list at the moment is Hikmicro falcon fh35 and Infiray finder II fl35r, which has a range finder. Both about 3k. Both 384 sensors.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 13 Aug 2023, 7:28 am

Very hard to get an objective answer to that question I think. Nearly all the people that will reply will have a bias for varied reasons. Best if you can do your own research by actually having a look at and through them. Not as easy as online research I know. I am getting close to the same point after being loaned a Pard night vision scope. I took it out the other night when it was very cold and all I could see was the cold white mist or fog even though it was not really foggy yet. Was wondering if a thermal would cut through that sort of thing.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by flashman » 13 Aug 2023, 10:15 am

Thank you both for your opinions yes research seems the way to go , big investment just hope get it wright or she will kill me "LOL' :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MRadd » 14 Sep 2023, 9:35 pm

Hello,
Just got a CZ457 in .22LR and going to shoot a paper target from the bench, a distance of ~200 meters.
Decided to go with 6-24x50 scope in a $300-800 budget.
What brand or model you can recommend?
Thank you
MRadd
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Larry » 15 Sep 2023, 7:36 am

MRadd wrote:Hello,
Just got a CZ457 in .22LR and going to shoot a paper target from the bench, a distance of ~200 meters.
Thank you

I would go with a Bushnell but that is just personal from owning one. The Athlon are ok but a little bulky and a bit heavier. I am sure others will give a much larger range. I tend to go for more expensive scopes just because you never know when it will come off one rifle and go into storage before being put on another rifle so its the buy once keep forever policy in my house.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Blr243 » 27 Sep 2023, 11:07 am

So many out now. More choices but that probably means more confusion. Don’t skimp that’s the best advice I can give. Even if it really hurts your wallet. Don’t skimp Because u will just be selling it , losing money on it and then it will take longer to save bucks so you can finally get one that has the specs to perform correctly in the field.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Sep 2023, 11:08 am

My binos cost 7200 in 2019
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Sep 2023, 12:10 pm

Larry wrote:
Thank you

I would go with a Bushnell but that is just personal from owning one. The Athlon are ok but a little bulky and a bit heavier. I am sure others will give a much larger range. I tend to go for more expensive scopes just because you never know when it will come off one rifle and go into storage before being put on another rifle so its the buy once keep forever policy in my house.

LOL, you seem to be suffering with a conundrum here,,,,,,,
Your recommending a "Bushnell" scope based on your personal reasons,,,,,, but then say,,,, "I tend to go for more expensive scopes"

I fail to see how you can couple those together.
Bushnell to me are little better than the crap coming out of China or off Ebay.

When you see ads for package deals from most firearms dealers,, they invariably have Bushnell scopes perched on top.
The reasoning being that they are what they are,,,,,,,, Cheap
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2023, 3:07 pm

Die Judicii wrote:LOL, you seem to be suffering with a conundrum here,,,,,,,
Your recommending a "Bushnell" scope based on your personal reasons,,,,,, but then say,,,, "I tend to go for more expensive scopes"

I fail to see how you can couple those together.
Bushnell to me are little better than the crap coming out of China or off Ebay.

When you see ads for package deals from most firearms dealers,, they invariably have Bushnell scopes perched on top.
The reasoning being that they are what they are,,,,,,,, Cheap

Like most manufacturers they do low-end and high-end gear. They offer $150 Banners as well as $2500 target scopes. The only package deal I bought with a scope was a Redfield Revolution, which I consider junk, but I know other people love them. Having owned about 15 Bushnells now, I quite like them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by safeshot » 18 Jan 2024, 9:52 pm

Thank you

As a rule of thumb, you spend on top what you spent underneath; or as a mate who was livestock experienced said to me
"scopes n rifles is like breeding horses you put the best 'on-top'." So go for the best you can afford. :drinks:

The 50 mm lens is a good idea as the bigger lens has a bigger light catch area.ie a 40mm objective has a square millimetre area of1257 mm. A 50 objective has 1964.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jan 2024, 11:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:So many out now. More choices but that probably means more confusion. Don’t skimp that’s the best advice I can give. Even if it really hurts your wallet. Don’t skimp Because u will just be selling it , losing money on it and then it will take longer to save bucks so you can finally get one that has the specs to perform correctly in the field.

I agree 155% on the "Don't skimp"

As for so many choices now,,,,,,,,,, it's a bit like trying to pick which yogurt,, in the supermarket.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jan 2024, 6:48 pm

Thank you

Go with a fixed power scope, a second hand Leupold 24x or 36x would be my choice. There are other fixed power 36x out there that will do the job.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics