Which scope for which gun?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Which scope for which gun?

Post by Total_immortal » 23 Oct 2023, 7:51 pm

Hi, hoping for some opinions on what to do here. I currently have a Ruger American Hunter in 308 with a Meopta Optika5 4-20x44 SFP in MOA scope on it. So far only used to bench rest shooting but may be used for hunting one day if I can get over the weight.

Decided to upgrade it to a FFP so ordered an Arken SH4J 6-24x56 MIL and my plan was to then order a Ruger Precision Rimfire and plonk the Meopta on that for a bit of cheap long range fun. This would be use for range only as I have a CZ452 for bunny hunting already.

Will the Meopta be ok with the 30MOA rail on the Precision Rimfire? Their site says it has 60 MOA of internal adjustment but I assume that's 30 up and 30 down? Will I be able to zero the thing at 100m?

Or would you suggest leaving the Meopta on the 308 and use the Arken on the Rimfire?

I guess third and most annoying option is to sell the Meopta and get something else?

Or am I just over thinking it? Any advice would be great thanks!
Total_immortal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Which scope for which gun?

Post by womble » 24 Oct 2023, 3:04 am

You can just get it there with low rings by like a bees dick. That’s a nice scope I wouldn’t sell it.
Or you can replace the rail https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/products/ruger-precision-rimfire-0-moa-picatinny-rail

I love my rpr. For the price they’re great value. For hunting not so great unless you’re shooting from a vehicle, then they’re fantastic. They need a rest. And so do you if you’ve been walking the paddock with it.
Once you slap that 4-24 on it she will be a heavy little girl. But the 6x scope wouldn’t cut it for me. Only makes tiny little holes.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Oct 2023, 4:24 am

Total_immortal wrote:Hi, hoping for some opinions on what to do here. I currently have a Ruger American Hunter in 308 with a Meopta Optika5 4-20x44 SFP in MOA scope on it. So far only used to bench rest shooting but may be used for hunting one day if I can get over the weight.

Decided to upgrade it to a FFP so ordered an Arken SH4J 6-24x56 MIL and my plan was to then order a Ruger Precision Rimfire and plonk the Meopta on that for a bit of cheap long range fun. This would be use for range only as I have a CZ452 for bunny hunting already.

Will the Meopta be ok with the 30MOA rail on the Precision Rimfire? Their site says it has 60 MOA of internal adjustment but I assume that's 30 up and 30 down? Will I be able to zero the thing at 100m?

Or would you suggest leaving the Meopta on the 308 and use the Arken on the Rimfire?

I guess third and most annoying option is to sell the Meopta and get something else?

Or am I just over thinking it? Any advice would be great thanks!

Wind the elevation turret all the way down, then count the revolutions while you wind it all the way up, that'll tell you how much adjustment it has in total (then set it back to your zero). I would expect it to have a lot more than 60MoA of elevation adjustment. If the windage is adjusted more than a few minutes from centre that will restrict the total elevation adjustment, but not significantly. If you want to be able to use the full elevation travel you will need an adjustable mount, rings or rail to allow you to zero with the elevation all the way down.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Oct 2023, 7:12 am

Might I add. One of the most critically underappreciated properties of a rimfire package is parallax error. It's why they make those EFR style scopes for the rimfire close range of focus. Once you mount your big meopta on the 22, make sure you are across any parallex error by wiggling your head around, looking for apparent movement in the reticle. glhf
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics