Nightforce eye relief on magnum

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Nightforce eye relief on magnum

Post by Ramin474 » 31 Mar 2024, 9:35 am

Hi all,
After a lot of research I’m about to pull the trigger on a Nightforce shv 4-14 x 50 f1, it’s to go on my tikka t3x lite 300wm, I am wanting something well built to do a lot of dialling with, it’s replacing my meopta optika 6, the only thing making me hesitant is the eye relief at 80mm the meopta has 100mm, has anyone got that nightforce shv and put it on high recoiling magnums? Any issues with eye reliefs? I’ve also looked up at their other models and some high end ones only have eye relief of 89 so not much different!
Ramin474
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Nightforce eye relief on magnum

Post by deye243 » 31 Mar 2024, 10:37 am

It's plenty of eye relief if you get a wetherby eye brow there's something wrong with your form especially with a 300 mag as they aren't all that bad in the recoil department unless it's in a 7lb rig .
And I hope you are willing to take a loss in the glass department as the optika has better glass but the SHV has better internals.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 01 Apr 2024, 11:05 pm

deye243 wrote:It's plenty of eye relief if you get a wetherby eye brow there's something wrong with your form especially with a 300 mag as they aren't all that bad in the recoil department unless it's in a 7lb rig .
And I hope you are willing to take a loss in the glass department as the optika has better glass but the SHV has better internals.

I think you will find it is sub 7lb.
Ive got one with a Leopold vx3 4-12x40, and it comes in around the 7lb from memory. Got a reasonable recoil.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Apr 2024, 7:31 pm

I have a Leupold 8.5 to 25x with about the same eye relief as the NF on my 300/378 Weatherby Mag which I mainly shoot prone. Not hit myself with it. I did have a 42x NF on the Weatherby but needed it for another rifle. No issues with that setup either.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics