Rifle scope choice 300-800m target shooting, some hunting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Rifle scope choice 300-800m target shooting, some hunting

Post by dsbb » 01 May 2024, 3:47 pm

Hi guys, I am in the process of picking out a scope for my new rifle, which I use for 300-800m target shooting and maybe some hunting in the near future. I narrowed my choices down to three:
1. Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56mm F1
2. Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56
3. Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm

I'm very curious. The second model obviously has a higher magnification range than the first model, but its price is still $700 lower than the first model. Is it just because of the value of the brand? :unknown: They all seem to be top-notch riflescopes from their respective brands. Are there any differences in workmanship?

I would also like to ask about the third model. Its magnification range reaches 8 times, which I think is more versatile, but its price is one level lower than the first two, and the size of the objective lens is also one size smaller, so I'd like to know what's difference between this and the first two. If the quality difference is not big, maybe this one is a more cost-effective and more versatile choice. :drinks:
dsbb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Rifle scope choice 300-800m target shooting, some huntin

Post by Bello » 07 May 2024, 9:16 am

Hello dsbb
I have found good target scopes are more expensive and primarily used for target shooting. They tend to have recticles with markings to assist with target shooting. They are usually in the first focal plane

I have a March target scope, it is more expensive to buy, quit heavy, not something I want to lug around the field for hunting.
Target scope may have a high initial magnification like the 7-35x36. I think the seven starting magnification is too high for a hunting scope, you lose too much field of view for hunting.

For my hunting, I prefer nothing larger than 4 of 5 initial magnification.
Due to the expense for a target scope, I would be worried about possible damage if I went hunting with it.

If possible, try and talk to some target shooter of the discipline you want to do and see what scopes they are using for that event.
I have found the higher end scopes are clearer.
Look for a scope witch may give you the elevation you require for longer shots.

I don't hunt game over 200 meters. I prefer to keep within my capabilities.

m2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 07 May 2024, 9:22 am

The two nightforce scopes you have picked are more for field use than target shooting they are much more robust with the primary design feature being ruggedness. For target shooting have a look at the Nightforce BR or Comp the both have fine reticles and made purposely for target shooting. The BR 8-32 and the *-42 are both cheaper than the other models and good quality second hand scopes can be had for about $1000.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by in2anity » 08 May 2024, 8:54 am

Itdepends.You can win Sporter/Hunter class comps with a humble $1000 scope. How do I know? Seen it done many a time. Their bulleye is between 1.7 to 1.9moa. Read the wind right, demonstrate consistent routine, and you shall have your V bull, regardless of how pricey your scope is.

Meanwhile the best Target Riflers group into 1moa, with iron sights. #justayin

F class is a slightly different beast in that target is half that size. So that poses the question, are you going to be shooting F class?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darklazor » 08 May 2024, 12:12 pm

If I was choosing from your list Dsbb, I would take the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56mm F1. But that’s just me.

Some food for thought
From what you have said, FFP would be ideal, for using the markings on your recticle at any magnification. Being able to use your recticle will give you more overall adjustment both for windage and elevation. Moa or Mrad, Mrad it’s Metric based and you can make adjustments quicker plus the math will be easier. At 100 meters o.1mrad is 1cm. Hunting with a target scope is totally doable. The Same scope with Different recticles will have a different price tag. And FFP generally is more expensive the a SFP scope.

Vortex has lifetime no question asked warranty. So if it fell out of the quad and broke you’ll get replacement. Nightforce’s warranty is good but they don’t cover accidental damage. However Nightforces are top notch built. Have a look at this

https://youtu.be/0LwL-_RvDuc?si=GQ5DZlBYBROXNoYY

Another honourable mention would be Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 MRAD the magnification is pretty much perfect for the ranges you listed. It’s a crisp scope with amazing optical clarity, it’s one of my favourites. The Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 would be worth looking at too, it’s basically a hunter target crossover very lightweight. But you can’t really go wrong with what you have on your list they’re all top notch.
Aim small, Miss small.
darklazor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 10 May 2024, 8:37 pm

As Larry said above, most guys at the top of the leader board at Benchrest or Score comps will be using NF Comp or BR scopes. No one will be using FFP scopes and you will find 25x will be the least magnification you will want at 300 metres and will have you at a disadvantage. I would suggest a 42x or better.
The ATACR is a lovely scope and you could get great results using it but you have to wonder why no one else on the line chose it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 17 May 2024, 6:59 pm

What class are you shooting in?
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darklazor » 17 May 2024, 10:15 pm

SCJ429 wrote: No one will be using FFP scopes

Well, I can’t agree with you, While most use SFP for F-class, there is nothing wrong with using FFP. But the OP stated it was for target shooting and possibly hunting. FFP will get you a huge edge in comp, target and some hunting scenarios. the Nightforce ATACR is a very nice scope. 25x power is plenty, plenty for 300m.
Aim small, Miss small.
darklazor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 18 May 2024, 10:01 am

darklazor wrote:

Well, I can’t agree with you, While most use SFP for F-class, there is nothing wrong with using FFP. But the OP stated it was for target shooting and possibly hunting. FFP will get you a huge edge in comp, target and some hunting scenarios. the Nightforce ATACR is a very nice scope. 25x power is plenty, plenty for 300m.

What is the advantage in using FFP in “comp, target”. If you get “a huge edge” from FFP, why does no one use them?

When I use a 25x scope at 300 metres, I always wish I had more magnification and my scores would improve. When shooting at a 100 or 200 metre competition I use a 36x. When I look at the guys next to me, they have at least 32x. You have to wonder why this is.

I am not arguing that you can, and I have used a 25x scope and compete at 300 metres. But given the choice I would choose a 32x or 42x and I would see better and my scores would improve. There are guys using open sights at 300 but they would all agree that they would do better with a 50x scope on top of their rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2024, 11:30 am

darklazor wrote:

FFP reticle works arse-backwards. At full magnification when you want a very fine reticle you have a heavy one that obscures the target, and at low magnification when you want a heavy reticle for close/moving targets you can barely see the reticle. I haven't found any situation where I wished I had FFP instead.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darklazor » 18 May 2024, 3:46 pm

WellI guess what it really comes down to is it personal preference, I hear what your saying though. But are you going to take your NF benchrest out hunting? Also you happen to mention FFP’s biggest flaw. But you have to take into context to OPs question. And yes, SFP are potentially a superior hunting scope, and full on competition scope that is also dependent of want competitions you are competing in. But if you want an all rounder then I pick FFP every time. But if you said to me we’re going on a hunt in a pine forest then SFP it is. As for the power of the scope if you want to shoot tight groups at 300 then of course the higher power the better.
Aim small, Miss small.
darklazor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Larry » 18 May 2024, 5:01 pm

When someone says they are going to target shoot from 300 to 800 yrds. I take it that, the ranges at the range they shoot at are between those distances. My experience at similar ranges is the 90% of the shooting happens at 500 or 600 yrds with the other ranges only being used occasionally or on special occasions for special shoots.

At 5-600 yrds target shooting you really do want a scope that is optimized for target shooting I have, and have used a NF NXS 8-32 at this range and for that purpose and yes its a nice scope that will do the job. But I moved on to a NF Comp yes it was much better.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by in2anity » 20 May 2024, 2:43 pm

Larry wrote:When someone says they are going to target shoot from 300 to 800 yrds. I take it that, the ranges at the range they shoot at are between those distances. My experience at similar ranges is the 90% of the shooting happens at 500 or 600 yrds with the other ranges only being used occasionally or on special occasions for special shoots.

It's oddly specific... yet uncannily similar to the ranges on constant rotation at the ANZAC MDRA rifle range in Sydney :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics