Adjusting iron sights to sight rifle in?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Adjusting iron sights to sight rifle in?

Post by Hatter » 26 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

Probably a stupid question, but from looking at rifle pictures online I can't figure it out...

A rifle with iron sights... Obviously iron sights are typically for shorter range shooting, are the sights fixed on the rifle with the expectation that you are not shooting far or can you adjust them?

Toying with the idea of an old lever action or something like that with just iron sights for some plinking fun, but not familiar with them at this point...
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Adjusting iron sights to sight rifle in?

Post by Hadoku » 26 Aug 2013, 3:24 pm

There is a screw top and side of the rear sight if I'm not mistaken?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 26 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm

Hadoku wrote:There is a screw top and side of the rear sight if I'm not mistaken?

Correct, that's usually the case.

Can't recall a model specifically, but there are also some with an adjustable front sight...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 26 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

They can be adjusted, but the range of elevation/wind adjustment is typically limited.

As you suggested, if you're shooting an old 30-30 lever action you're not going to be doing 1,000m shooting, and so the sights won't have been designed to be adjustable for the hundreds of inches of drop that you have to start managing as distances increase.

Obviously there are some with a greater adjustment range than others, but you'd usually be looking at around 300m max for a "typical" pair of iron sights.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Hatter » 26 Aug 2013, 4:07 pm

Thanks all,

Any difference between going with a rear or font adjustable setup?

Anything better or worse?
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 26 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm

Hatter wrote:Any difference between going with a rear or font adjustable setup?

They're adjusted in the opposite directions. i.e. if you adjust a rear sight horizontally to the right, the POI moves to the right.

If you adjust a front sight horizontally to the right, the POI moves to the left.

Once you're sighted in though you're sighted in. I'm not sure why the 2 difference systems came about?
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 06 Oct 2013, 2:56 pm

I have an old Lithgow model 12 that has a rear sight with a stepped ramp for elevation
and no windage adjustment which you have to do by drifting the front sight left or right
pretty solid set up once sighted in and suprisingly accurate too. Still probably my favourate
22 in the safe , it probably gets out more often than my Bruno, there's something about
shooting a couple of rabbits with open sights that stirs something in you
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harts » 06 Oct 2013, 5:02 pm

reddog wrote:I have an old Lithgow model 12 that has a rear sight with a stepped ramp for elevation and no windage adjustment which you have to do by drifting the front sight left or right pretty solid set up once sighted in and surprisingly accurate too.

I suppose that's to be expected for a 22 though as you'll only be shooting 60-70m or whatever?

Compensating windage on the fly at a couple of hundred metres with a centrefire would be far more challenging I'm sure.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hardcast » 21 Oct 2013, 6:25 pm

Every body should have at least one open sight rifle. IMO.

"I suppose that's to be expected for a 22 though as you'll only be shooting 60-70m or whatever?"

Hatter, Harts, you do realize that telescopic sights have only been around for a bit over a hundred and fifty years or so.

1,000 yd competition, dates back to at least the 1870s. Open sight. :o
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 23 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Hardcast wrote:Hatter, Harts, you do realize that telescopic sights have only been around for a bit over a hundred and fifty years or so.

1,000 yd competition, dates back to at least the 1870s. Open sight. :o

Are iron sights still what they used to be though? Back I the day when they were the only sights available, I guess they paid particular care to their accuracy and being adjustable and so on.

Now that the scopes are so heavily used and readily available, wouldn't surprise me if less case goes into design or precision?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hardcast » 24 Oct 2013, 10:05 am

Yep open sights are definately a worth while investment, especially for hunting at the closer ranges.

I don't play by this rule, but several of my buddies do, and that is they won't go out hunting with a rifle that isn't fitted with both, incase there
is an issue with the scope. Quick detachable mounts, and back in the game.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by schink » 24 Oct 2013, 10:09 am

Hardcast wrote:I don't play by this rule, but several of my buddies do, and that is they won't go out hunting with a rifle that isn't fitted with both, incase there is an issue with the scope.

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Sounds a bit OCD though TBH :lol:
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics