New scope time

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: New scope time

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jun 2016, 10:44 am

"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Jun 2016, 10:55 am

Pretty much any scope under $1000 is using Chinese glass, Leupold, Zeiss included. The high-end Euro brands still make their own lenses. Don't know about March and L/force. I've been to the Swarovski factory (2002), unbelievable what goes into those things. We watched the lense cleaning process, amazing. You can certainly see why the price is so high. They make Khales in the same factory. We got to try out some of their scopes in the onsite, underground 100m range with electronic target system, wow! They treated us to lunch, their canteen was like a fancy restaurant, maybe that gets added to the price as well. ;)
Still wondering about those graduated reticles though. A 6.5/284 has a way different trajectory to say a .308W. What trajectory are they calibrated on?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jun 2016, 11:03 am

The Bushnell Elite scopes are made in Japan using Japanese Glass. Their cheaper scopes are made in China and the Philippines. They are still adequate for most hunting though. They are Mil and 1/2mil graduations or roughly (very roughly)10cm and 5cm respectively at 100m the finer ones on the edges and top of the G2 reticle are 1/10mil or the equivalent of a click on a mil based Scope.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

So the 2,4,6,...don't actually correlate to yards/metres, okay I get it. My hunting scopes are old school, fixed power, steel tubed Khales. Excellent glass, big cross-hairs and absolutely brilliant in low light. That comes from the Europeans doing a lot of moonlight shooting from tree-stands in the forests. My Target scopes are all vari-xIII Leupolds, not for the glass but their turrets/adjusting system seems to stand up best to the constant changes that silhouette shooting requires. 4 different distances up to 16 changes a day during a match. No sighters once the match starts, so you need repeatable settings. 3/8 target dot reticles are my choice.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics