Red dot sight on a shotgun

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Red dot sight on a shotgun

Post by Jerribong » 03 Jul 2014, 11:40 pm

I am looking for advice/info on mountings for red dot /red ring sights please.

I want to mount one on my O/U shotgun.

There are good cheap red dot scopes available but they seem to only have mounts for picatinny or weaver rails. The Redring scope is made to mount directly onto ventilated rib shotguns but is outrageously expensive.

So here is the dilemma - what is available to mount onto the ventilated rib of a shotty at a reasonable price, OR what mounts are available to adapt red dot scopes to shotguns?
Jerribong
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Red dot sight on a shotgun

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2014, 8:12 am

Unless you're hunting at night and cannot see the front sight I can't see the point of a red dot. Even then more practice should allow you to shoot accurately without the use of the front bead.

A red dot would make shooting in the dark easier but It would lift your head up off the stock, changing more than the sight picture. Maybe a fibre optic front sight would do what you're looking for.

Good luck finding what you're after.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 05 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

I only know of two people that have fitted red dot sights to shotguns, both had a gunsmith tap a weaver rail on to the top rib. Probably cheaper than buying an expensive Red Dot but don't forget a shotgun recoils heavier than most rifles so it needs to be a decent one.

Good luck.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Jul 2014, 4:30 pm

Too bad the high powered lasers are banned.... They were visible through the air and drew a line from the muzzle to the target. The 5 mw or less lasers need something to project a dot on.

I have thought about mounting my laser other the 12 gauge but the pressure switch didn't want to stick to the oiled stock so i gave up on it and left it on the .22
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 05 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Too bad the high powered lasers are banned.... They were visible through the air and drew a line from the muzzle to the target. The 5 mw or less lasers need something to project a dot on.

I have thought about mounting my laser other the 12 gauge but the pressure switch didn't want to stick to the oiled stock so i gave up on it and left it on the .22

As far as I know they are restricted import but aren't banned as such. A mate has a 30mw laser torch mounted on his rifle. At 100y it cases a beam about a meter across, perfect for that fox that stands there front on ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 05 Jul 2014, 7:13 pm

Mate, I've actually got a redring on an O/U... I know there's always people who say "why bother" on a shotty, but it just WORKS so bloody well!! It's seriously fast on target and every person that's tried it can't believe how quick and accurate it is.. (We use it in thick scrub on pigs, hares/rabbits at night)

Very very easy to mount and because I've got an akkar combo with the 20" & 30" barrels I can swap it as quickly as swapping barrels.. (Takes less than a min to put it on/off)

If anything, it's actually really helped me position and hold a shotty correctly, especially cheek position..

They've come down in price a lot in the last few months and I know they still ain't cheap, but if you're ever considering it, they work brilliantly, never budge an inch on the rail and come highly recommended!!
Attachments
shotgun-red-dot-sight.jpg
shotgun-red-dot-sight.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 9110 times
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 06 Jul 2014, 1:28 pm

Browning wrote:Mate, I've actually got a redring on an O/U... I know there's always people who say "why bother" on a shotty, but it just WORKS so bloody well!!

Nice to have some input from someone who actually uses one.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Jul 2014, 10:11 pm

Jerribong wrote:I am looking for advice/info on mountings for red dot /red ring sights please.

I want to mount one on my O/U shotgun.

There are good cheap red dot scopes available but they seem to only have mounts for picatinny or weaver rails. The Redring scope is made to mount directly onto ventilated rib shotguns but is outrageously expensive.

So here is the dilemma - what is available to mount onto the ventilated rib of a shotty at a reasonable price, OR what mounts are available to adapt red dot scopes to shotguns?

Hi,

I hear what your saying, but generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

More often than not there is no such thing as a "good cheap" product.

There is good quality and top quality, but lower than that it generally becomes compromised and even just turn to s**t.

Save up, buy once and cry once.

Cheers ;)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Jul 2014, 12:28 am

I need to learn to read the op's properly... I thought we were talking about lasers lol.

Iv got a bushel red/green dot sight on my s/s shotgun.

I have mounted it as far back as possible witch puts the lens about level with the back of the barrel giving the best field of view possible

I find it great on the rabbits and it has allowed me to use cartridges that throw a very tight pattern ( fixed ic choke ) and remain very accurate.

My red dot sight gets difficult to use when the light gets low and is very hard to use at night because of reflections and the slight polarized coating on the lens acting like a tint.

If i was to look for a replacement it would have a single clear lens
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jerribong » 07 Jul 2014, 11:19 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Nice to know that at least someone (Browning) has experience with it and sees the merit.

On-one wheel, how did you mount yours onto the gun?
Jerribong
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Browning » 08 Jul 2014, 7:18 am

One really cool feature of the redring is the auto adjustment of the brightness of the redring.

If your walking the trees or at night on the ute, the ring is a lower brightness, but middle of the day, in full sunlight it's still very visible and easy to use... Its cool how it auto adjusts to light conditions..

You do pay a bit but for a ribbed shotty I don't think you'll find a better sight.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Octane » 09 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

How well does it do the adjustments? How Fast?

Do you ever find yourself waiting for the sight to adjust itself after you shoulder it?

If you quickly go from pointing to the dark ground to the bright horizon is there a delay in adjustment?
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Jul 2014, 2:53 pm

Jerribong wrote:Thanks for your comments.

Nice to know that at least someone (Browning) has experience with it and sees the merit.

On-one wheel, how did you mount yours onto the gun?

My 12 gauge came with holes threaded into the rib to mount a rail... Could be easily achieved with a drill press and thread tap.

If you buy a rail first you cam mark out the holes with a center punch and do it yourself or give the rail and barrel to a smith and have him do it.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by subatom » 11 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Could be easily achieved with a drill press and thread tap.

I'd like to give threading a barrel for a muzzle brake a go.

Better get some pipe to practice on first before I ruin my barrel though :lol:
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Browning » 11 Jul 2014, 8:09 pm

Sorry for the late reply... Just got back from a trip out west..

The adjustment for the light is instant mate.. You don't even notice it...

If you're in Brisbane you're welcome to come check it out sometime...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Octane » 13 Jul 2014, 7:57 pm

Thanks Browning.

I haven't used it in a shooting scope but I've used these kinds of things in some other types of lenses and the adjustment has been pretty slow.

Good to know these are the business.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunman » 21 Nov 2014, 7:34 am

Browning - Happy to have found your post, Mate I'm gunna shoot in the rifle/shotgun IPSC Nationals in a coupla weeks, just got myself a new 20" Churchill and need a Red Dot mount. Can you tell me where/how you got yours please?
gunman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics