Night vision scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Night vision scopes

Post by Staghunter » 29 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

Hi guys,

Does anybody have any experence with night vision scopes?

I am running a feral pest control business & a client has a massive problem with wild dogs, not much is working so i am considering buying a night vision scope & sitting on kills thru the night.

My problem is the confusion that I have been fed by retailers, I don't understand what is best digital ? gen2+ ? gen3 ? (is it legal for non military/police use) any advice would be much appreciated.
Staghunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: night vision

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Sep 2014, 5:46 am

They are legal yes, but ( theres always a but ) US - AU trade treaties will restrict GEN 3 stuff, from the us side ( got a mate in the US then you might get him to send it on the low down. A mate of mine has an actual night vision scope, not sure which gen on his 6.5 for foxes .. It's ferking GREAT . but I'd always be changing scopes. Best compromise is to get a night vision adapter I'd say, that fits on your regular scope. Thats all I got though sorry I cant help more mate.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 30 Sep 2014, 8:13 am

There's essentially 3 types of night vision ranked by price / availability. For your needs the digital options are probably the cheapest and least hassle.

Digital Nightvision
Uses an infrared camera + infrared light source built into a scope shaped package along with an OLED screen and are the cheapest option starting around the $2k mark. I use a Pulsar NV770A on a 308 with good results.
http://www.extravision.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=2086

Image intensifier
Amplifys the available light using an image intensifier, these are generally the types that are ranked by generation.
https://www.armasight.com/night-vision/night-vision-weapon-sights/

Thermal Imaging
Builds a picture based on temperature differential, expensive and subject to ITAR compliance though the lower spec units can be had for around $10k
https://www.armasight.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-weapon-sights/armasight-zeus-640-3-24x75-30hz/

I've spoken to an Australian dealer who is trying to get the higher end thermal imaging scopes from BAE into the country for civilian use with the price expected to be around the $10k mark and if he does I'll be getting one.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Sep 2014, 8:54 am

Gotta say they are outta my price range, but HELL YES I'd love to have a crack on a thermal :twisted:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 30 Sep 2014, 1:48 pm

They sure can cost.

One of the guys here had a NV unit in the classifieds a while ago.

$14,000 unit new, second hand $9,000.

Not even in my dream budget, forget reality.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 30 Sep 2014, 1:49 pm

MeccaOz wrote:They are legal yes, but ( theres always a but ) US - AU trade treaties will restrict GEN 3 stuff, from the us side ( got a mate in the US then you might get him to send it on the low down.

Any you can't get the gen3 stuff anywhere outside the US?
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

agentzero wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:They are legal yes, but ( theres always a but ) US - AU trade treaties will restrict GEN 3 stuff, from the us side ( got a mate in the US then you might get him to send it on the low down.

Any you can't get the gen3 stuff anywhere outside the US?

I'm not 100% sure on other makers, but I have heard IMI was / is making them .. Israeli military industries, not sure on there exports restrictions though either.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Night vision scopes

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Sep 2014, 2:21 pm

MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 30 Sep 2014, 2:30 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Thermal Imaging
Builds a picture based on temperature differential, expensive and subject to ITAR compliance though the lower spec units can be had for around $10k
https://www.armasight.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-weapon-sights/armasight-zeus-640-3-24x75-30hz/

Armasight are dropping their prices, that one was $13k 6 months ago then dropped to $10K and it has dropped again since i last checked.

Thermal imaging is not effective with heavy foilage, the cooler leaves,branches etc hide what is behind it, i guess that could also be said for other optics as well.

Thermal imaging is the best, next best is Gen 3,i would go American made over Chinese.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Night vision scopes

Post by Staghunter » 30 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

cheers guys
sounds like digital might be the way to go, thermal is way out of my league, & gen3 sounds too hard without overseas help
Staghunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 02 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

MeccaOz wrote:They are legal yes, but ( theres always a but ) US - AU trade treaties will restrict GEN 3 stuff, from the us side

Annoying that. I have a mate who used to work for a Defence tech company that did all sorts of latest gen optics and NV etc.

Not some thing I need (or have the money to pay for :lol:) but definitely had some cool toys to play with.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics