Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60 ED spotting scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60 ED spotting scope

Post by AussieTimmeh » 25 Oct 2014, 5:56 pm

Hi all,

After being incredibly bored while my brother took his turns at our local range, I decided I wanted a spotting scope. I had used some friends ones before and they were totally terrible. Even the $250 ebay jobs were rubbish. So I was pleasantly surprised when this Bushnell Excursion came on ebay as an ex-demo unit. Retail was $545, I made an offer and bought it for $280, and I can say it's money well spent.

The spotting scope comes in a nice little protective bag with clips at the bottom for the tripod. Some people don't like the standard tripod because it's a bit hard to make fine adjustments but I have heaps of tripods so it didn't concern me.

Inside the protective case there is the scope and the tripod head, which I now just leave attached to the bottom of the spotting scope. The spotting scope comes wrapped in a waterproof (I would call it water resistant) onesie, which helps protect it from knocks and the elements when at the range.

The onesie is very well made, with velcro on the back of the flaps so you can secure them out of the way when using the scope.

The controls are fairly simple, both zoom and focus on the rear where you look through.

A quick test at home was promising, but it wasn't until my brother and I got to the range (hi Baldrick314! Great to meet you today! :D ) that I could test it properly with our 22 and 308. It was brilliant there, easily spotting our hits at the maximum range I wanted to use it at (200m). Even at full zoom on a hot 35° day with lots of mirage and using the standard SSAA white paper targets, seeing hits was easy. I was super happy - the person who wasn't shooting could provide feedback and engage in discussion with the shooter rather than sitting and waiting for their turn. I wish I could have gotten a good photo today of what it looked like. I'll try taking a camera next time I go because my phone struggled.

I would estimate that the maximum usable range for 308 would be between 350-400m before the shots would become hard to see on the normal white paper targets. You could probably see them at 400-500m with the high visibility targets. I could easily see the .22 hits at 100m, didn't see anyone shooting .22 at 200m to test it. I could easily see what looked like .223 hits (a fair bit smaller than our 308 hits) at 200m on other peoples targets.

I'll try to get a photo with a proper camera looking through the scope at 200m next time I am at the range.

So yeah, I feel like I scored a bargain and actually have a spotting scope that does what I need. Always great when you don't waste money on junk! :D
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60 ED spotting scope

Post by Kipper » 26 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

Nice find Timmeh.

A spotting scopes one of the things you can't skimp on.

Some of the 60x scopes they sell...COMPLETE rubbish. I've had a look through a few and you can barely make out a bullet hole at 100m, forget anything you'd need 60x magnification for. 45x with GOOD glass takes you much further.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by halberg » 26 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:I'll try to get a photo with a proper camera looking through the scope at 200m next time I am at the range.

Any progress on that front Timmeh?

I need a spotting scope and this has got me interested.
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 26 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

So very true. I had other guys at the range come over a few times and ask to look at their targets at 200m because they couldn't see a damn thing through their own spotting scopes even though they were 60x magnification.

Cheers!
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 26 Nov 2014, 3:09 pm

halberg wrote:Any progress on that front Timmeh?

I need a spotting scope and this has got me interested.

I haven't been back at the range yet sorry! Too busy blowing my shoulder off with my Nitro Express on a property. I'll take it there and get some photos shortly for you though! There wasn't much interest in this thread originally so I hadn't hurried to get some. I'll post some up soon!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tonit » 26 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

It sure comes with enough cases :lol:
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by halberg » 26 Nov 2014, 6:29 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:I haven't been back at the range yet sorry! Too busy blowing my shoulder off with my Nitro Express on a property.

Ha ha :lol:

I suppose that's forgiveable :D
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by scrolllock » 28 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:I could easily see the .22 hits at 100m

Even that's an accomplishment with some of them.

I've been fortunate to never waste my money on one of the cheapest ones but had a look a my local 50m .22 range with some shockers and you can't even see clearly at 50m.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by salate » 28 Nov 2014, 12:35 pm

Bit off point here but is the tripod any good?

Or flimsy?
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 28 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

scrolllock wrote:Even that's an accomplishment with some of them.

I've been fortunate to never waste my money on one of the cheapest ones but had a look a my local 50m .22 range with some shockers and you can't even see clearly at 50m.

Yeah some are just plain out unusable at any range for .22. Shouldn't be allowed to be sold!

salate wrote:Bit off point here but is the tripod any good?

Or flimsy?

Flimsy, typical. I am a freelance photographer so I ended up using a spare Manfrotto tripod I had instead. Actually the sturdiness wasn't the issue for me, because we were bench shooting so the tripod was at minimum extension. The problem was actually how hard it was to make small adjustments when aiming it on a target 200m away. So yeah, would recommend a different tripod.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by salate » 01 Dec 2014, 1:15 pm

I know the Manfrotto supports.

They're good.
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jeebo » 04 Dec 2014, 2:39 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Even the $250 ebay jobs were rubbish.

I made the mistake of getting an $80 60x one off ebay.

Complete s**t. Couldn't see clearly at 100m even.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics