What scope for my .223 Savage Axis?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

What scope for my .223 Savage Axis?

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

I am researching scopes for my .223REM Savage Axis.

Budget tops out around $300

It currently wears the $.20 3-9x40 bushnell package scope, which I want to chuck in favour of something that has a bit more magnification and probably won't fall apart.

I like the idea of headshotting rabbits at 200 yards (after some practice :lol: ), maybe a bit of target shooting too.
I will also be spotlighting for foxes etc, maybe a bit of roo culling if a contact I am working on goes well.

I will probably use the rings that are on it now and upgrade those later on.

I would love to go wax $800 on a Leupold VX2 6-18 with the LRV reticle, bit I am afraid the budget won't be stretching that far. :cry:

I like the idea of some sort of ballistic reticle or mil dots. I also would like adjustable parralax.

Even though an Axis isn't an AR15 :roll: I like the Bushnell AR scope, price is ok and I guess the tacticool doesn't fuss me. Probably my favourite:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bushnell-4-5 ... 3f3f06a6c1

Have heard vortex are good value for money around the forum.

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/vortex-cross ... scope.html

Low price and plenty of zoom is nice but I have read of a lot of people who reckon these Tasco's are crap.

http://westernfirearms.com.au/scopes-ra ... p-280.html

There is my life story, what do you guys think? :)
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: What scope for my .223 Savage Axis?

Post by Chronos » 26 Oct 2014, 5:10 pm

I reckon you'll see (and hit) more rabbits through a quality 3-9x40 than a cheap 6-24, add in some dawn or dusk low light bunny busting and the quality glass will jump even further ahead. Add to that the shakes you get in the field from a high mag scope.

Keep your eyes open on the used gun sites, I picked up a VXiii on Friday for. $325, that's an $800 scope new.

Tactical scopes have some advantages, I've recently taken a vxi 2-7x33 off my .22 for a bushnell elite tactical 5-15 but mainly for metallic silhouette where you're clicking up and down every ten shots. IMHO the 2-7 is a better hunting scope.

Good luck with it :)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Oct 2014, 6:05 pm

One of my mates has a 3-9 VXII on his .270, I will have to have another play with it. Was very crisp!

Might just have to save up for longer and get something nice. Seems funny looking at $500-800 scopes for a $550 dollar rifle! :lol:
I suppose it is a Savage, good accuracy for the $$$.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 26 Oct 2014, 7:26 pm

Have a sqizz at red field revolution, owned and manufactured by leupold, very good quality optics at a reasonable price, I've got 3-9x50, very happy with it shot perfect on my .243 now resides on my 17hmr, perfect hunting scope, around $350 new

Or many will hate and disagree with this next one but hey, I bought one to use as a spotting scope and it now lives on my .243..........ZOS 10-40x60 tactical turret, very good scope for price, bit heavy, well made, clear and unique reticle( option of two mil dot or military ranging ), I would love a leupold vx6, but budget dictates and I'm glad it did would not have bought the ZOS. The price a hefty $175 delivered...... eBay
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Timb0 » 26 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

I have owed a few vortex scopes and I do think they are good value for money, however you still only get what you pay for. The cheaper models are made well but dont expect $3000 glass in a $300 scope.
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seik » 27 Oct 2014, 9:57 am

Chronos wrote:I reckon you'll see (and hit) more rabbits through a quality 3-9x40 than a cheap 6-24, add in some dawn or dusk low light bunny busting and the quality glass will jump even further ahead.

+1.

Quality glass with less magnification will take you further than s**ty glass with a bit extra zoom.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 27 Oct 2014, 9:59 am

FuzzyM wrote:Budget tops out around $300

It currently wears the $.20 3-9x40 bushnell package scope, which I want to chuck in favour of something that has a bit more magnification and probably won't fall apart.

I like the idea of headshotting rabbits at 200 yards (after some practice :lol: ), maybe a bit of target shooting too.

A bit over what you asked but Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 is about $380.

Wait one more pay check and spend the extra $80? Better than a 3-9x for what you want IMO. Especially for the 200m bunny headshots ;)
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by FuzzyM » 27 Oct 2014, 4:54 pm

My two mates with .270's both have Leupold 3-9x40's, one a VX1 the other a VX2.

I will hopefully have a good play with both this weekend.

Was hoping for adjustable parallax, which the 4-12 VX1 doesn't have. Your right though, it is close enough to my budget. How important is it to have?

I have it on the cheapy Nikko 3-9 Mountmaster on my .22, but maybe it isn't as necessary on better glass like a Leupy?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

I've been running the 3-9x50 Nikon Prostaff on the 204 to good effect, shot quite a few bunnies in the head at 250+m, not a bad little scope for around $220 odd. Great little scope under the light too.

Sometimes more mag would come in handy for the tiny little heads and tricker shots but for the most part I manage to use it well. Higher mag means more noticeable movement and mirage issues, just something to keep in mind also.

There's lots of good scopes out there, also keep an eye out for a good 2nd hand one too, there are some bargains at times in the 2nd hand market.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FuzzyM » 27 Oct 2014, 6:34 pm

Stop posting your shredded rabbits, it really makes me want to go out with the polymer tipped hollow points I picked up for the .223!
I hope I find a couple of bunnies on the weekend! :twisted:
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2014, 6:48 pm

FuzzyM wrote:Stop posting your shredded rabbits, it really makes me want to go out with the polymer tipped hollow points I picked up for the .223!
I hope I find a couple of bunnies on the weekend! :twisted:

Get out there after em mate, nothing more relaxing to me than exploding a few bunnies, someones got to feed the Raptors after all. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aussier » 28 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

FuzzyM wrote:Was hoping for adjustable parallax, which the 4-12 VX1 doesn't have. Your right though, it is close enough to my budget. How important is it to have?

Short answer... For hunting at 200m and inside I'd say not important at all.

This is very rough math and it will vary depending on a lot of scope specs blah blah blah.

From memory the margin of error due to not having your eye centred and parallax is roughly 1.1" per hundred metres total. This is with your eye positioned at the furthest left or right edge of the scope field of view, any further and you'd lose the crosshair.

So 2.2" total at 200m, giving you 1.1" margin of error left or right depending which side off centre you're eye is positioned.

In reality you're not eye isn't isn't going to be positioned at such extremes so the actual margin of error will be much less. At 200m your actual point of impact might be 1/4" off where you're seeing the crosshair to be?

Make sense?

Nothing that will make any difference to hunting.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by FuzzyM » 07 Nov 2014, 9:24 pm

Look what popped up on usedguns:
http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=43329

:x

Anyone have a spare $600?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 11 Nov 2014, 1:45 pm

Aussier wrote:A bit over what you asked but Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 is about $380.

I've just got one of these for my backup hunting rifle.

Good scope for the affordable price.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 11 Nov 2014, 2:38 pm

Lorgar wrote:I've just got one of these for my backup hunting rifle.

Good scope for the affordable price.

Same for me but for the missus .223.

Leupold up graded their scopes a while back and basically the new vx-1 are equivalent to the old vx-2's
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 12 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

Timb0 wrote:Leupold up graded their scopes a while back and basically the new vx-1 are equivalent to the old vx-2's

I didn't know that but it seems about right.

I've used some old ones which I wasn't overly impressed with. The new entry level ones really are good quality though.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics