Scope choices for 22-250

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope choices for 22-250

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jan 2016, 6:13 am

BradZ wrote:Well I learnt this lesson the hard way.

Always had trouble with eye relief with the Redfield but i learnt to live with it until it decided to play a new trick.

After being dialled in 110%, I'd go out hunting and wouldn't be able to hit water if i fell out of a boat. Go and check the sighting and its as much as 6" high and left! After this happening twice that was it.

The nioa rep took one look at it and said it's clear so there is no problem. So now that scope resides on my .22wmr.

Have since lashed out on a Zeiss Hd5 5-25x50mm. Not only has it fixed my problem, I'm still to this day blown away by it, quality, clarity and all the rest. Of course this is to be expected when it is worth as much as 3 Redfields.

Reading over these old comments made me cringe as to how great i thought the Redfield was before discovering higher end optics.

I still use it when i take my 22wmr out and so far it's hanging on fine. Maybe it didnt like the recoil of the 250? I don't know, but i do know I wouldn't buy another one.

I'd send it away under warranty and get it inspected - sounds like something may be wrong with it, the wifes has been fine so far (lives on a 223)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2016, 6:22 pm

Three cheers for Zeiss :clap:

I got a Zeiss 3-12 x 50 Duralyt on my 22/250.
As the other supporters of better quality optics have said,, you will be happy with that quality in low light.

I use the fire dot reticle on mine quite a lot.
Recently spent 6 weeks in Victoria shooting bunnies and foxes almost every night.
The beauty of the Zeiss fire dot is that it is almost infinitely variable to suit individual needs and levels of light.

I was brain boxing bunnies and foxes using only the scope to see quite some time after it was too dark to pick them up with the naked eye.
And when it eventually got too dark for the scope as well, then I set up the NiteSite and kept on going.

Optics ??? > "Buy once and cry once"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by BradZ » 05 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm

After discovering the mounts holding the Redfield had moved again, I threw them out ( $40 Nikko Sterling). Replaced with good quality weaver mounts so I'll see how I go. This is on my .22wmr, not my 250 just fyi.

Maybe it wasn't the scope letting go constantly. Even still it wasn't enough for my 22-250, only ever hunt at night and frequently 400m is as far in as the foxes will come so you have to bring it to them from a distance.

The Zeiss delivers 110%
Happy enough with the Redfield as my rimfire scope.
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by veep » 08 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

Die Judicii wrote:I got a Zeiss 3-12 x 50 Duralyt on my 22/250.

V nice :D
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics