Scope choices for 22-250

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope choices for 22-250

Post by BradZ » 23 Dec 2014, 10:59 pm

So I've had the gun and scope for just over a week now and I couldn't be happier!

I honestly don't see much if any difference looking through a mates leupold vx-r than I do with the Redfield.

Glad I went 4-12 too, now if only I can get everything dialled in nicely haha
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 25 Dec 2014, 7:09 am

BradZ wrote:I honestly don't see much if any difference looking through a mates leupold vx-r than I do with the Redfield.

If you get the opportunity try looking through the pair of them at dawk/dusk. In the twilight hours is usually where the 'better' hunting scopes show it.

Not knocking your Redfield or trying to show flaws in it or anything :lol: but if you look I think you'll learn the difference there.

For the most part though you're right, there a s**t scopes, decent scopes and top scopes.

A lot 'decent' and 'top' scopes look effectively the same in half decent light. At the range, day time hunting, spotlighting... You'd be hard pressed to pick differences.

Anyway. Something to try if the opportunity pops up.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by lole » 25 Dec 2014, 7:09 am

BradZ wrote:Glad I went 4-12 too, now if only I can get everything dialled in nicely haha

Takes a little fiddling but you'll sort it out ;)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zilla » 25 Dec 2014, 7:17 am

Go the Redfield!

;)
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 25 Dec 2014, 10:18 am

Tiiger wrote:If you get the opportunity try looking through the pair of them at dawk/dusk. In the twilight hours is usually where the 'better' hunting scopes show it.

Agree with Tiiger on this one.

Always thought scopes looked the same looking through them until I tried a mates z3 at dusk... Wow! We were using it one night under a full moon with no spotlight not a problem.. Was awesome and hence why I then saved up the bickies to get one myself... Amazing at night and now have z6 as well...
4-12 is great for the 250...

Enjoy mate!
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 26 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

Definitely.

I've got a $1,000 Bushnell 6500 and a $300 Leupold VX-1. Putting holes in paper at a few hundred metres there is no difference, same strolling around during the day.

In the fog at 5:30 in the morning though, it's no contest for the Bushnell. Same at dusk.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BradZ » 12 Dec 2015, 2:27 am

Well I learnt this lesson the hard way.

Always had trouble with eye relief with the Redfield but i learnt to live with it until it decided to play a new trick.

After being dialled in 110%, I'd go out hunting and wouldn't be able to hit water if i fell out of a boat. Go and check the sighting and its as much as 6" high and left! After this happening twice that was it.

The nioa rep took one look at it and said it's clear so there is no problem. So now that scope resides on my .22wmr.

Have since lashed out on a Zeiss Hd5 5-25x50mm. Not only has it fixed my problem, I'm still to this day blown away by it, quality, clarity and all the rest. Of course this is to be expected when it is worth as much as 3 Redfields.

Reading over these old comments made me cringe as to how great i thought the Redfield was before discovering higher end optics.

I still use it when i take my 22wmr out and so far it's hanging on fine. Maybe it didnt like the recoil of the 250? I don't know, but i do know I wouldn't buy another one.
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Dec 2015, 7:28 am

Thanks for adding the long term feedback, BradZ.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Dec 2015, 11:48 am

Are you sure it wasn't the rings? I have a redfield and it is perfectly fine with recoil. Had an experience that would have shifted any cheap scope and the scope didn't shift.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Swarm » 15 Dec 2015, 10:41 am

BradZ wrote:Ended up buying a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 in 4 plex. Quite a nice scope, especially for the price

Good choice :thumbsup:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by BradZ » 04 Jan 2016, 11:22 pm

sandgroperbill

No, I'm not sure it wasn't the rings. As a matter of fact it probably was. Even still, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the scope for other reasons.

It now lives on my .22wmr happily.
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 05 Jan 2016, 12:10 am

Just FYI, they share Leupold's lifetime warranty, so if you,re not happy, perhaps it's worth shooting leupold an email. May get nothing out of it, or may be surprised. Either way, there's nothing to lose
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jan 2016, 6:13 am

BradZ wrote:Well I learnt this lesson the hard way.

Always had trouble with eye relief with the Redfield but i learnt to live with it until it decided to play a new trick.

After being dialled in 110%, I'd go out hunting and wouldn't be able to hit water if i fell out of a boat. Go and check the sighting and its as much as 6" high and left! After this happening twice that was it.

The nioa rep took one look at it and said it's clear so there is no problem. So now that scope resides on my .22wmr.

Have since lashed out on a Zeiss Hd5 5-25x50mm. Not only has it fixed my problem, I'm still to this day blown away by it, quality, clarity and all the rest. Of course this is to be expected when it is worth as much as 3 Redfields.

Reading over these old comments made me cringe as to how great i thought the Redfield was before discovering higher end optics.

I still use it when i take my 22wmr out and so far it's hanging on fine. Maybe it didnt like the recoil of the 250? I don't know, but i do know I wouldn't buy another one.

I'd send it away under warranty and get it inspected - sounds like something may be wrong with it, the wifes has been fine so far (lives on a 223)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2016, 6:22 pm

Three cheers for Zeiss :clap:

I got a Zeiss 3-12 x 50 Duralyt on my 22/250.
As the other supporters of better quality optics have said,, you will be happy with that quality in low light.

I use the fire dot reticle on mine quite a lot.
Recently spent 6 weeks in Victoria shooting bunnies and foxes almost every night.
The beauty of the Zeiss fire dot is that it is almost infinitely variable to suit individual needs and levels of light.

I was brain boxing bunnies and foxes using only the scope to see quite some time after it was too dark to pick them up with the naked eye.
And when it eventually got too dark for the scope as well, then I set up the NiteSite and kept on going.

Optics ??? > "Buy once and cry once"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by BradZ » 05 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm

After discovering the mounts holding the Redfield had moved again, I threw them out ( $40 Nikko Sterling). Replaced with good quality weaver mounts so I'll see how I go. This is on my .22wmr, not my 250 just fyi.

Maybe it wasn't the scope letting go constantly. Even still it wasn't enough for my 22-250, only ever hunt at night and frequently 400m is as far in as the foxes will come so you have to bring it to them from a distance.

The Zeiss delivers 110%
Happy enough with the Redfield as my rimfire scope.
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by veep » 08 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

Die Judicii wrote:I got a Zeiss 3-12 x 50 Duralyt on my 22/250.

V nice :D
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics