Elevation wasted for zero @ 50m

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Elevation wasted for zero @ 50m

Post by KWhorenet » 27 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

Was going to contaminate someone else's topic with my scope fitment issue but thought some others may benefit if I get this process sorted.

Just fitted a new scope to my new Savage BTV 22lr.
Gear:
- Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 3-9x40 FireDot-G TMR
- Leupold PRW low rings
- Stock weaver style bases

Problem started with first sighter about 1.5ft low at 50m... To verify scope was actually set to zero at 0 dial positions from factory;
- I ran dials all the way then back again to count clicks, then back half way for both. Both zeroes were spot on (half total clicks = dial position 0).
- Visually re-checked mounting. All looks good.

*Still shot 1.5ft low.
- Aimed at low shot, wound up elevation a whole turn till reticle was just above original point of aim (target center). Sorted.

Main question:
- Has anyone had success finding lost scope adjustment by switching around bases or rings from front to back or rotating 180 deg one at a time in case there is tolerance to play with ?

- I will digital calliper measure each part in case I can solve/improve it that way first.
- I have no concern using 'shim stock' to go under the rear weaver base but would like to avoid that if possible.

If I'm missing something simple or there are any suggestions for working with what I have it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

K
Last edited by KWhorenet on 27 Nov 2014, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: New scope- whole turn of elevation wasted for zero @ 50m

Post by brett1868 » 27 Nov 2014, 8:18 pm

I'm failing to see what the problem is....setting the scope mid reticule is no guarantee it's zeroed for any rifle at 50m, that's part of why they have an elevation adjustment. What's the ballistics say about drop for the cartridge your shooting? how much elevation adjustment is left when zeroed at 50m? What's the MOA per click? Assuming you started mid reticule you have already wasted all the windage below that point anyway. I run adjustable rings so I can zero my rifles at 100 with only 5-10 clicks from the bottom stopper which in the NXS 8-32x56 leaves me around 60MOA of elevation to play with but I'm shooting out to 2000+ meters. If you have a turn or 2 of elevation remaining when zeroed at 50m then that'll be plenty cause the round isn't particularly useful much past 100m anyway. Did you happen to mount it sideways? It happens...
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: New scope- whole turn of elevation wasted for zero @ 50m

Post by KWhorenet » 27 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

I agree with your points Brett. It is only a 22lr.
It's a 0.1 Mil/Mil scope. Theoretically 10cm at 100m per Mil or ten clicks.
Will see how much elevation is left in it. If I have 3 Mil worth left to play with I shouldn't be concerned as you point out.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: CLOSED. Elevation wasted for zero @ 50m

Post by Chronos » 27 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

Ideally you want your scope near the bottom end of elevation adjustment at the closest range you want to zero.

For a .22 that may be 50, that will allow you to click up to 100m, perhaps even more. I've had my scope on my .22 maxed out and using hold over shooting steel plates at 350m

Just click down to your 50 m zero and go shoot it, it's a non issue in my opinion

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 27 Nov 2014, 9:19 pm

Chronos,
your example of plinking out farther is reason enough for me to attempt to change it. Shooting paper out to 100m bores me. Lobbing to a old saucepan is appealing.

Will measure the bits, get the most out of that then look at other options to enable near bottom for zero at 50m leaving most of the elevation available.

Thanks guys.

Topic can be shut.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Elevation wasted for zero @ 50m

Post by Lorgar » 28 Nov 2014, 2:37 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Was going to contaminate someone else's topic with my scope fitment issue but thought some others may benefit if I get this process sorted.

Wouldn't be the topic by that idiot who put his new Leupold on 90 degrees the wrong way would it? :lol: :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Khan » 28 Nov 2014, 2:37 pm

You mean you Lorgar :P
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 28 Nov 2014, 2:37 pm

Yes, that's the idiot I mean :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Monty » 28 Nov 2014, 2:38 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Topic can be shut.

As you wish.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics