Help picking a scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Help picking a scope

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 24 Dec 2014, 11:22 am

Howdy guys im in the market for my first scope.. Ill be mounting it on a Ruger American RimFire LR .22

What are peoples thoughts on the -

Weaver KASPA 3-9x40 Dual-X Reticule Scope
http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/rifl ... pes/kaspa/
OR
Redfield Revenge 3-9x42
http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

Any advice will be appreciated

CHEERS
MICK
- Ruger American Rimfire .22
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Help picking a scope

Post by Chronos » 24 Dec 2014, 11:51 am

looks like you're on the money. not much you can't shoot with a .22 and a 3-9X40 :)

be aware of scopes designed for centerfire rifles that may have fixed parallax set at 100y, when used on a rimfire rile at shorter ranges, say 30-40y you may experience some parallax error. of course you may not and many shooters, myself uses them without issue

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 24 Dec 2014, 12:24 pm

Chronos wrote:looks like you're on the money. not mush you can't shoot with a .22 and a 3-9X40 :)

be aware of scopes designed for centerfire rifles that may have fixed parallax set at 100y, when used on a rimfire rile at shorter ranges, say 30-40y you may experience some parallax error. of course you may not and many shooters, myself uses them without issue

Chronos

Cheers mate.. :D

Which of the 2 scopes i linked would be the preferred scope to use on a .22.. ? do you know of any pros or cons with them?
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Juganort » 24 Dec 2014, 12:34 pm

I've ordered one of these for $260 for my wifes compact Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr

AR OPTICS 4.5-18x 40mm

She'll only use it for a bit of fun at the range and maybe one day metallic silhouette but for a cheap scope its got everything covered
Last edited by Juganort on 24 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 24 Dec 2014, 12:40 pm

Juganort wrote:I've ordered one of these for $260 for my wifes compact Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr

Looks like a really nice scope for the price..... ;)

Would it be any good for hunting or only at the range?
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Juganort » 24 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

Still pretty new to all this myself so take this with a grain of salt but I reckon if you were mostly hunting I'd stick with the 3-9x40. The 4.5-18 could be used as a hunting scope but some of those closer shots may not be so easy at 4.5 mag.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 24 Dec 2014, 1:07 pm

have a 4x14 on my 22 and while it can be a pain if its set too high you can see most things if you wind it down, if you can get a bit bigger for the same price go for it,its handy for when your eyes start failing too :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Tiiger » 24 Dec 2014, 1:42 pm

Both scopes are reasonably similar, have you put each to your eye yet at your local gun store?

That 40mm vs 42mm objective isn't really going to do anything much for you either way.

Both are reasonable quality but it's the little things like the click of the dials and general feel that will help you decide.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 24 Dec 2014, 1:46 pm

ShootaMCjohn wrote:Would it be any good for hunting or only at the range?

The only thing you might find for hunting is that 4.5x could be a little more zoom than you'd like.

With too much zoom it can be difficult to find your target and a lower magnification for more field of view is preferred.

Fair to say 3-9x is probably the fave. Really splitting hairs now though and the 4.5x could be fine for you.

If you want to do some target shooting, on balance you might be better off with the 4.5-18x for the top magnification if you really want to see what you're doing at the range as you fire.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 24 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm

Tiiger wrote:Both scopes are reasonably similar, have you put each to your eye yet at your local gun store?

That 40mm vs 42mm objective isn't really going to do anything much for you either way.

Both are reasonable quality but it's the little things like the click of the dials and general feel that will help you decide.

No i haven't put either to my eye yet just looking for a recommendation and someone to put me in the right direction.

Awesome so when i go to pick my .22 up ill have a good look at them. I guess in a way its personal preference and to see if i like the feel of it.

Ill be target shooting till im good enough to go hunting i just want a scope that will suit both purposes.. :)
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 24 Dec 2014, 5:15 pm

Aussier wrote:
ShootaMCjohn wrote:Would it be any good for hunting or only at the range?

The only thing you might find for hunting is that 4.5x could be a little more zoom than you'd like.

With too much zoom it can be difficult to find your target and a lower magnification for more field of view is preferred.

Fair to say 3-9x is probably the fave. Really splitting hairs now though and the 4.5x could be fine for you.

If you want to do some target shooting, on balance you might be better off with the 4.5-18x for the top magnification if you really want to see what you're doing at the range as you fire.

Cheers for the tip. ;)
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Juganort » 24 Dec 2014, 5:31 pm

Either of those 2 3-9x40 scopes would do either task, if it were me I'd choose the redfield because of the leupold lifetime warranty where any warranty or custom work can be carried out in Brisbane.

If you're doing range work, club shoots like silhouette and hunting I'd go something like that Bushnell which would cover everything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 24 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm

Juganort wrote:Either of those 2 3-9x40 scopes would do either task, if it were me I'd choose the redfield because of the leupold lifetime warranty where any warranty or custom work can be carried out in Brisbane.

If you're doing range work, club shoots like silhouette and hunting I'd go something like that Bushnell which would cover everything.

I was leaning towards the Redfield...

Cheers mate ;)
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

Any of the little 3-9x40 should do fine mate, just have a look through a few and see what appeals to your eyes (don't forget to adjust the focus) to suit your eyes either.

I run a 4x Jap Tasco on one of my 22's for hunting and its fine, its not unusual to head shoot bunnies @80m with it, the other one runs a 6x Jap Tasco and is fine too, both work well under low light/spotlight conditions, that could be another cheap option if you want to save a few $$$ (often available in GS secondhand bins etc and usually for next to nothing.

Anyway have fun with it all and I would advise getting it mounted at the shop, that way you'll get the right height rings etc instead of buying something of the net that may or may not suit.

Good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aussier » 25 Dec 2014, 10:46 am

ShootaMCjohn wrote:Cheers for the tip. ;)

No prob, bud.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Zilla » 25 Dec 2014, 10:47 am

ShootaMCjohn wrote:I was leaning towards the Redfield...

Redfield make good scopes mate, you'll be happy with it.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics