Range finders

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Range finders

Post by headspace » 08 Jan 2015, 8:08 pm

I'm looking at getting range finder soon. I don't need to range things I can't shoot I just want something easy to use and accurate. Budget as I see it would be around $300.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Range finder

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2015, 9:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2450 Did you see this thread. $150 for a range finder.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 08 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Tried that threat OB but it was all about safety glasses, not rangefinders.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

Oops, try this one.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3319
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 09 Jan 2015, 9:14 am

headspace wrote:I'm looking at getting range finder soon. I don't need to range things I can't shoot I just want something easy to use and accurate. Budget as I see it would be around $300.

What's the maximum range you expect to need?
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2015, 9:26 pm

My mate had one of those golf ones - it ranged out to around 1000yds from memory and only cost around $150 :lol: whilst it wasn't as nice to use as my Vortex 1000 Rangefinder it do go further :unknown: Mine has an illuminated display etc and better image etc, I only need to know a max range of around 300m but have ranged trees out to 680m and cows etc out to 550 odd. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baz460 » 10 Jan 2015, 8:40 am

Would have to agree with the Vortex 1000, great range finder.

Cheers. Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headwerkn » 10 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

I got one of those cheap Tactical ones from Anaconda when they were on special some time ago. Only goes out to 400m and can take a few seconds to generate a reading, but for $60 that's more than good enough for checking distance-to-targets on my home range and calculating holdover with 22 subsonics shooting 50-100m out.

Apparently they did a 1000m version for the same price, though they weren't available at our local store.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Leupold RX-600i

Post by Mich » 12 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

It's not the absolute cheapest on the market but I will speak highly of the Leupold RX-600.

I don't know what they go for there in Australia but mine was $250 new here.

They're pretty weather resistant which is a must here. I've tested mine out to 500 yard on the range here and it's been spot on at each of the 100 yard intervals from the firing line to the 500 yard mark.

They say it will go further with reflective targets but I've never bothered to test as that's no use hunting and I don't shoot further at targets either. Works well on dwindling light as well when I've tried it around dusk.

Weighs 6 and 1/2 ounces or thereabouts so you don't know know you're carrying it either.

Eye relief is about 9 inches, quite easy to hold at that position.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by headspace » 18 Jan 2015, 8:28 pm

I've upped the budget a bit and looking seriously at a Bushnell of some sort. I tried one in the shop and it was quick and clear. I'll have another look this week. But as most here agree, real hunting ranges seldom exceed 300m, so I don't want to pay for things I don't need. The web is cluttered up by range finders for bloody golf!
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 19 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

headspace wrote:The web is cluttered up by range finders for bloody golf!

:lol:

Yep, found the same thing and never got to buying mine because of it actually :thumbsdown:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 19 Jan 2015, 12:33 pm

Don't know about Bushnell but FYI..

The Redfield 600 is about $270 last I looked.

600 yard true range (not off reflective surface range to come up with a higher number that looks good on marketing material)
6x magnification
Light, small, comes with case, blah blah blah all the usual things.

Accurate though, a mate has the 550 (previous model) tested at little river on all the intervals up to 500m and came up correct.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Range finders

Post by Lorgar » 19 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

headspace wrote:I've upped the budget a bit and looking seriously at a Bushnell of some sort.

I can't recall the exact model sorry but just as a general vote of confidence in Bushnell, a mate of mine has one of the higher end 1,000 yard ones and it delivers what it promises. Was about $450 - $500 off ebay I think.

It states 1,000 yards on reflective surfaces (hence the 1,000 name for marketing like AusC said :lol:), furthest I've used it out to was actually about 880m but worked find at that distance on a radio tower with reflective panelling. Fast and consistent acquisition so no reason to think it would work a little further than that.

"tree ranging" is what they call the all purpose ranging I think, the limit on that is 600m. Haven't tested it past 500m but again worked perfectly at this distance which is approaching the limit.

Dunno if your budget allows that much but as I said, just a general thumbs up here for their rangefinders doing what they say they will.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 21 Jan 2015, 7:27 pm

I've got my LGS bloke chasing the Bushnell rep. he said they might have some specials coming up. I'd rather not buy something like this on ebay, if you need warranty it can be a PITA.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

FYI I got my Bushnell from the Melbourne Shot show (Sydney show on for you in a few months). It was the cheapest local price I'd seen going at the time.

Bought direct from the Bushnell/Tasco stand. They were just giving out payment receipts, I asked about a tax invoice for warranty etc. and the boss there said they have lifetime warranty regardless and I could just it back regardless should a problem arise.

Saying I wanted a proper one anyway for my piece of mind he gave me his direct card, I called him 2 days later when he was back in the office and they wrote me up a proper one and faxed it over.

Really good to deal with :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 01 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

Well, the range finder purchase has had to be postponed due to the new Mod 70 taking precedence. Just have to do it the old fashioned way a while longer.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 03 Feb 2015, 11:02 am

headspace wrote:Just have to do it the old fashioned way a while longer.

Inaccurately? :lol: :D
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by monbeg » 03 Feb 2015, 3:02 pm

Try the local golf shops, range finders are all the go at the moment !
monbeg
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by subatom » 04 Feb 2015, 10:07 am

They're must be some top golf ones too.

Those guys take it seriously and spend a fortune on good equipment.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by dogmatix » 21 Apr 2015, 10:45 am

Get the best you can afford. Same rule for scopes.
I have a 7 year old Leupold RX3. Longest animal I've ranged was a white goat at 1107m in the evening, but typically the range finder is good to around 750m on a deer.
Which is further than what I'd shoot.
When I upgrade, I'll get a Leica 1600.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Harper » 21 Apr 2015, 7:14 pm

If you wan't to try before you buy you could always set a few markers down the road of your LGS and take one outside, see how far it really works vs what the box says.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by headspace » 13 May 2015, 9:17 pm

I ended up getting a Bushnell "The Truth" odd name for a range finder but it works OK. They guarantee it to range an animal at 200yards but I ranged a cow down in the paddock at just over 300. It's not top of the line but you can't have everything.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 14 May 2015, 11:26 am

headspace wrote:I ended up getting a Bushnell "The Truth" odd name for a range finder but it works OK.

I suppose they can't call it the "It's pretty good for the money but not the best ranger finder ever" can they :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 14 May 2015, 9:58 pm

That wouldn't fit on the side of the unit mate, that's one reason. However you can spend a small fortune on things like this, but really, who cares if you can range animal at 1500m or more. A sensible hunter will seldom shoot at a range greater than 300m anyway.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 19 May 2015, 10:57 am

I've used a few of the Bushnell and found them pretty conservative on the figures they quote.

Whatever it says on the box you'll get a little extra and they've been accurate when tested against confirmed distances.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics