If rings are a bit high

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: If rings are a bit high

Post by Westy » 22 Feb 2015, 6:42 am

I can't believe all this agro here I'm bringing out the picture then!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
group-hug.jpg
group-hug.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sally-bee » 23 Feb 2015, 7:54 am

Chronos wrote:Sorry each sample is two pics

I think I'm following :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aster » 23 Feb 2015, 8:06 am

Information replies left, deleted all the purely argumentative posts.

Hopefully Sally is satisfied with the answer and we can leave this now...
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Warrigul » 24 Feb 2015, 3:47 pm

I have just been supplied the figures for a .223 with a 55 grainer at 200m

With the scope mounted 1.5" over the boreline the cant error at 5 degrees(whatr the average person still thinks is level) is 19mm windage either left or right depending on the hold and 16mm drop. (total possible group windage error-in addition to the rifles inherent accuracy- 40mm)

When you raise the scope to 2" above the bore line windage increases to 32mm error and 25mm drop (total possible group size increase of 64mm)error

So for 12mm increase in ring height you are blowing your groups out almost an extra inch at 200m.

Not insignificant, I wasn't expecting it to be as much as that but ballistics programs don't lie apparently(I am sure they do, this wasn't my program so if anyone wants to do the math feel free), some people would spend a lot of money trying to eliminate that amount of error but no one sensible would ignore it.

Keep rings as low as possible and try to shoot with a level rifle remembering that 5 degrees of cant is usually undetectable by the average person.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sally-bee » 25 Feb 2015, 2:44 pm

I'll take your word for it.

Wouldn't know where to start on checking the math :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia