Scout scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scout scopes

Post by Ade » 26 Feb 2015, 11:43 pm

Can anyone enlighten me please. I found out about these from a friend yesterday and apart from the seemingly long eye relief, know nothing about them.
Thanks
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Scout scopes

Post by Jack V » 27 Feb 2015, 2:03 pm

They are basically pistol scopes with long eye relief . Generally they are low magnification for wide field of view and slim profile to allow sighting with both eyes open and be able to see around the scope as well as through it . This allows swinging onto a moving target much like you would with a shot gun but having the extra precision of scope reticule and slightly magnified view as well as better precision on a stationary shot than you would get with open sights or even a hunting style peep sight . The longer eye relief scope is more forgiving of eye position and still be able to see the image so you can swing on a moving target and find the game more easily than if using a short eye relief larger higher power scope .
The process is swing onto the target and as the gun comes up you can still see the target around the outside of the scope with both eyes open as the gun mounts . Continue swing to sustained lead as the eyes automatically go to the scope image and then see the amount of lead against the reticule centre and adjust as you keep swinging , squeeze off while continuing the swing .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by heron » 02 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

Here's an example for you... Ruger 10 22 scout.

Forward mounted scope as Jack described, normally low mag to give you wide field of view.

ruger-10-22-scout.jpg
ruger-10-22-scout.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 02 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

About Scout rifles in general, as it pertains to the scope...

The scout rifle is a class of general-purpose rifles defined and promoted by Jeff Cooper in the early 1980s.

These bolt action carbines are typically .308 caliber (7.62mm), less than 1 meter in length, and less than 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) in weight, with iron and optical sights and fitted with practical slings (such as Ching slings) for shooting and carrying, and capable of hitting man-sized targets out to 450 meters without scopes. Typically they employ forward-mounted low-power long eye relief scopes or sights to afford easy access to the top of the rifle action for rapid reloading. Although the Steyr Scout is the only rifle Jeff Cooper has been personally involved with, Ruger, Savage, and several other gun makers now manufacture scout rifles that roughly match Cooper's specifications.

Wiki.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brand » 06 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

Jack V wrote:Generally they are low magnification for wide field of view and slim profile to allow sighting with both eyes open and be able to see around the scope as well as through it.

Dunno how guys do the both eyes open thing, makes my brain hurt seeing the 2 different perspectives :lol:
brand
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 06 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm

I know what you mean about the both eyes open.

I can do it on low magnification but I can feel it's like my eyes are trying to match up the image if you get what I mean.

Like if you're cross-eyed how you see double, and the images swing together to overlap when you return your eyes to normal. When I look through both eyes open it's like my eyes are trying to overlap and return the image to one.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 06 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

If your eyes give you difficulty use both eyes open as you follow the game and swing onto the target then as the target comes into the scope picture you can close the other eye that is outside the scope image .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 07 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

I've had enough practice at it.

It's just not a technique that's right for me.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 07 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Scout scopes are usually used when normal scopes won't fit for example bolt handles would foul and cases are ejected and will hit a scope. Or also to avoid drilling and taping actions clamp on mounts are attached to the barrel, service rifles and lever actions sometime have this kind of mount. The scout scope has eye relief further away so they can be mounted further away from the shooter but they suffer from narrow field of view hence are low powered, pistol scopes have even greater eye relief.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by keen » 08 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

yoshie wrote:Scout scopes are usually used when normal scopes won't fit for example bolt handles would foul and cases are ejected and will hit a scope

It's not ideal but I reckon people stress over the scope thing too much. A bit of scuffed paint... So what?
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by tiki » 11 Mar 2015, 2:51 pm

This is just me but I can't help but crane my neck forward looking at one because it feels like it's in the wrong place :lol:
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Return to Scopes, sights and optics