Different open sights options

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Different open sights options

Post by kurl » 09 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

Looking for some information on the different styles of open sights.

Ghost ring, V-notch, U-notch, Patridge and half a dozen others......Is it six one half dozen the other? Personal preference on what you go?

What's the story?
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Different open sights options

Post by Chronos » 09 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

For what purpose mate? Shooting pistol could be very different to hunting with a lever gun.

What kind of firearm and what do you want to do with it?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 09 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm

That's a big question . There is many variations of open sights and reasons why someone might use one over the rest . Like some may see more of the target and be suitable to dangerous game and others may be more precision and suitable to paper targets . Most are just variations of each other so personal preference does come into it . Peep type sights with the disk back on the rear of the action offer a longer sight length and some extra precision in aiming but may be too slow in acquiring the target for dangerous game . A lot depends on how good your eyes are as some are just hard to see the gap between the post and the notch and get it even.
Also you need to have a purpose in mind for a certain sighting system and then that dictates better what you might need or at least cut down the options.
If no scope is contemplated on an air rifle or a 22 rimfire I preferred a square U notch and flat top blade . It makes it easier to see an even gap each side.
On a big bore rifle for close range an express type sight which is usually a wide shallow V notch with a bead or blade although they do vary a bit . The main feature is ability to see as much of the target as possible and be very easy to locate the front sight quickly within that V .
On a centrefire being used at longer range and on smaller targets a peep sight would be better with a small aperture or changeable apertures . Although receiver mounted peep sights can vary from very simple narrow big aperture types for stationary and moving targets to large bulky small aperture target sights for paper and at longer ranges .
Most of the time open sights are not given much thought or engineering now by factories on rifles because most use scopes but they do still have their place .
Pistols is a bit different though.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 09 Mar 2015, 7:58 pm

I used open sights for a good 5 years as a kid before I even looked through a scope. Flat blade and u notch on a daisy air rifle and cz were my favourite and surprisingly accurate. Only used the buckhorn sites on the 44 with a gold front bead and didn't really go for it. Don't like fibre optic sights at all but that's just proffering the old school.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by kurl » 10 Mar 2015, 2:10 pm

Rifle still to be decided, but will be a short barrel for close-medium range, medium size game.

30-03, .44 maybe .308, around that size chambering. Likely a lever but not 100% decided yet.

"hunting with a lever gun" is probably the best jist of it.
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 10 Mar 2015, 2:51 pm

I've found nothing better than HiViz on my hand guns. http://www.hivizsights.com/

They do make sights for rifles and shotguns as well.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 11 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

You can only focus on one plane at a time. If the sight is hair thin you can't see it when looking past it to the target. Too thick and you could obscure your target depending on the distance.

Some lean towards better visibility, others like a rear peep sight reduce it but help keep a rifle straight.

Different sights lean one way or the other depending on what they're intended for.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 11 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

I hate 'full buckhorn' rear sites on my lever action Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II (24" Octagon barrel) and didn't want to scope it, so placed an order last night for a Skinner peep sight, taller front blade to file down to right height, dove tail blank and Merit Adjustable Aperture.
http://www.skinnersights.com/rimfire_gr ... ts_25.html
http://www.skinnersights.com/apertures_8.html
MERIT "IRIS" ADJUSTABLE APERTURE #4 Hunting Iris to fit SKINNER SIGHTS.
"This aperture adjusts from .022" ~ .156" using a simple turn of a knurled ring with click stops to hold under any recoil or field conditions."

I like the adjustable apertures for different shooting and conditions.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Norton » 12 Mar 2015, 10:37 am

Tiiger wrote:Some lean towards better visibility, others like a rear peep sight reduce it but help keep a rifle straight.

Never liked the rear peep sight.

Feel like I'm looking down a cardboard tube.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by shipwright » 22 Mar 2015, 3:39 pm

Hi Mate. for what its worth my centrefire hunting rifles ware scopes. However I shoot lever action competition CLAS. These rifles all carry aperture sights, in competition you really only have seconds to find your silhouette target and shoot, you can get very accustomed to the aperture.
For hunting a scope is hard to beat as it does more than look at a target, it will extend your hunting day,in loosing light you can get a clear picture of target.
Shipwright
shipwright
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by kurl » 23 Mar 2015, 8:52 am

shipwright wrote:For hunting a scope is hard to beat as it does more than look at a target, it will extend your hunting day,in loosing light you can get a clear picture of target.

Extending hunting hours by a bit isn't an issue (or losing them with open sights as the case may be). I don't get out enough for that to be a problem, it's not for work or anything.

It's getting there, decision soon :D

Thanks again.
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics