Scope ring lapping

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope ring lapping

Post by sally-bee » 25 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

Hi guys,

I'd like some feedback on whether scope ring lapping is worth it for a newbie shooter?

I'm not a pro chasing super accuracy, is there any risk of damage to the scope if it's mounted as is? That's the only reason I'd want to to it.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Scope ring lapping

Post by Chronos » 25 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

I reckon if you have the gear available it's almost always worth doing.

Here is some pics of the rings on my .22, Anschutz 64 actioned Weatherby with Sportsmatch rings, you can see how little of the rings were contacting the scope when i fitted the rings to the action. I stopped to take the photos after a few strokes with the 1" lapping rod then continued until 80% or so of the bottom ring was lapped.

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Mar 2015, 11:17 am

In most cases it's very worth while. Not difficult and doesn't take long. Some rings will state "no lap", like the DNZ. Machined and one piece. I didn't lap mine DNZ game reapers because they are one piece and after testing contact found it was very good (also was bore sighted at mechanical zero!) but i have lapped a couple of pairs of single rings and would lap just about any two ring system for perfect alignment in situe.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tiiger » 26 Mar 2015, 1:00 pm

Not to dispute Chronos' post above as such but I'd just say the majority of shooters don't do it and are fine.

I put it down as one of those things to do it you just want to do it for fun, or for the sake of it.

I have never seen a scope damaged or accuracy lost from not lapping rings.

2c.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 26 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

it's not about dispute mate it's about your experiences. :thumbsup:

i've seen plenty of used scopes with ring marks (I tend to buy used scopes as a way of getting better glass for my $$$) and properly aligned rings don't damage scope tubes

i think of it like insurance, there no guarantee it's going to help a rifles accuracy but it can take a couple of minutes when you're set up to mount a scope to a new rifle but there's a chance it could save you some grief somewhere down the line

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 26 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm

I've had impressions in the paint from rings that weren't lapped.

That's the worse I've seen.

The insurance argument Chronos makes isn't the worse though.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Seconds » 30 Mar 2015, 2:46 pm

There's nothing wrong with lapping the rings but to buy a kit is unjustifiably expensive for many shooters.

I believe they're about $130 or so. There may be cheaper ones but that's what I've seen.

IMO that's too much to ask of a new shooter who has once rifle and will only use the thing once.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 30 Mar 2015, 3:50 pm

Seconds wrote:There's nothing wrong with lapping the rings but to buy a kit is unjustifiably expensive for many shooters.

I believe they're about $130 or so. There may be cheaper ones but that's what I've seen.

IMO that's too much to ask of a new shooter who has once rifle and will only use the thing once.

I agree, that's why in my first post I said "if you have the gear"

I simply made one at 1" and a second at 30mm because where I was working we had material ground to size in stock. I simply drilled and tapped an M10 hole in the center of a length about 300mm long and fitted a handle. Note:welding a handle will bend the rod, defeating the purpose.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by sally-bee » 31 Mar 2015, 9:13 am

Thanks guys.

Sounds like it's not one for me.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal