ENDED: Fwd of receiver optic? Irons practice instead

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

ENDED: Fwd of receiver optic? Irons practice instead

Post by KWhorenet » 27 Mar 2015, 10:48 pm

Quick question: I know it's not too common but has anyone put a scope or red dot forward of the receiver ? If so what are your thoughts after using it?

I've all but accepted I may have to.
Been practicing with the 30-30 in fairly thick Gippsland scrub, but struggling with standard irons. I'm not 15 anymore and finding it hard to focus in the right eye, taking way too long. Recently diagnosed stigmatism/short sightedness :wtf: :thumbsdown:
(Half tempted to start shooting left handed as I'm a bit ambidextrous)

Been sussing out forward mounted red dot vs scout scope (with appropriate eye relief).

Leaning towards the Aimpoint H-1 micro red dot 2MOA ~AUD$630

Others I've considered:
dot Vortex SPARC II 1x22 2MOA ~AUD$330
dot Bushnell Trophy TRS 1x25 3MOA ~AUD$200
fixed scout Leupold FX-2 2.5x28mm ~AUD$495 + rings
variable scout Burris 2-7x32mm ~AUD$530 + rings
variable scout LW' Hi-Lux 2-7x 32mm ~AUD$275 + rings

* 'Pearson's No Drill rail' http://www.mod94scoperail.com/index.html ~ AUD$100 It also has it's own adjustable rear site if optics ever crapped out.

Need to look through the H-1 and try to get a look through a scout scope to compare.

Any ideas welcome.
Last edited by KWhorenet on 30 Mar 2015, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Fwd of receiver optic: Aimpoint H-1 red dot or Scout sco

Post by North East » 27 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm

Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot...2 MOA.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 27 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm

North East wrote:Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot...2 MOA.

I had a look at yours and it looks neat sitting back in a normal position for sure. I guess if I even considered a scout scope, especially a variable the weight will be comparable to the H34S like yours and it's something very interchangeable to another rifle if and when.

Might have to mock one up and strap it on to get a feel for it. Weight and size wise sitting forward.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by North East » 27 Mar 2015, 11:09 pm

KWhorenet wrote:

I had a look at yours and it looks neat sitting back in a normal position for sure. I guess if I even considered a scout scope, especially a variable the weight will be comparable to the H34S like yours and it's something very interchangeable to another rifle if and when.

Might have to mock one up and strap it on to get a feel for it. Weight and size wise sitting forward.

They only weigh about 400 grams...light as...you don't notice them...and they easily handle .30-06 recoil.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 28 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm

I've got a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm, in a S&K scout mount, on my mauser. Pretty happy with the optical performance of it in low light. I've not tried a red dot on that rifle, but from using red dots on other rifles, I think i prefer the leupold for the slightly increased precision of the 2.5 mag and fine cross hairs. I got mine from Abelas in campbelltown for I think $440. The Bushnell TRS-25 seems to be pretty good value as far as red-dots go.

One thing to note with the Leupold - the rear ring needs to clear the rear bell of the scope by I think 3/4" otherwise the reticle could be damaged. If you're mounting with fixed rings (as opposed to a picatinny rail) this could cause you problems with placement.

I would have preferred the Burris 2-7x32 scout, but it was too expensive and wouldn't have arrived in time for a hunting trip I was going on.

I've used an NC Star pistolero 2-7x32, which I believe is basically the same thing as the hi-lux - it was ok in bright conditions, but terrible in low-light. I avoided it and the hi-lux due to the low light performance.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 28 Mar 2015, 4:32 pm

If you get a chance would you mind looking through it with your eye 10"-11" back from it to simulate being mounted in front of the receiver.

Also, did you get rings with it or were they an expensive extra?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by North East » 28 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

KWhorenet wrote:

If you get a chance would you mind looking through it with your eye 10"-11" back from it to simulate being mounted in front of the receiver.

Also, did you get rings with it or were they an expensive extra?

The Aimpoint scope can be mounted just about anywhere on the rifle. Mine is about 8" from the eye. The thing is there is no parallax error. Just get the red dot on target and shoot...doesn't matter where your head position is. The 34 mil rings are included with the scope. $800.00 all up.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Mar 2015, 8:45 pm

Red dot sights are great for fast target aquasition at shorter ranges, i find the only issue is reflections in the lens during low light and very difficult at night using lights.

I prefer a good laser.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mich » 29 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

KWhorenet wrote:If you get a chance would you mind looking through it with your eye 10"-11" back from it to simulate being mounted in front of the receiver.

The Aimpoint are very good and flexible.

I've used one on a Scout setup before without issue.

It's different, need to change your muscle memory of where you look after shouldering it as you expect it to be closer, but once used to it's fine.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Mar 2015, 11:30 am

Was ready to pull the trigger on the H34S for $800
but I've missed the AUD exchange rate boat. Elks don't have one in stock and clayton's prices up to $1000 with aimpoint rings :thumbsdown:

Look like more practice in the bush for me
Last edited by KWhorenet on 30 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by cooker » 30 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:i find the only issue is reflections in the lens during low light and very difficult at night using lights.

I haven't really done much with them but I know what you mean about using at night.

Hard to see much more than the dot I found.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Return to Scopes, sights and optics