Optisan Mamba or Vortex?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Optisan Mamba or Vortex?

Post by cala90 » 20 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I was set on buying a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x50 for my 223. After speaking to a mate he suggested I look at the Optisan Mamba scopes (These two in particular - http://www.sportingguns.com.au/optisan- ... 10x50.html , http://www.sportingguns.com.au/optisan- ... 16x50.html).

I found one review on here which seemed positive but other than that I'd honestly never heard of the brand. Has anyone else had any dealings with them? It seems to get the equivalent in Leupold i'd be looking at the VX-R which is upwards of $1000 - not keen on spending that kind of money!

The only other option I was considering was the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 Dead-Hold BDC for around $600.. Although double the price of the Crossfire.

Cheers,

Matt :thumbsup:
Ruger American 22LR
Howa 1500 Varmint Fluted 223
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Optisan Mamba or Vortex?

Post by Radagast » 20 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm

No personal experience with them. They are very popular in the UK with the night vision ratting, rabbiting and foxing crowd because the glass is not IR coated and the parallax adjustment is down to ten yards. Fitted with a home made or commercial digital NV add on they work very well at night, but the day time performance is apparently lower. Googling MTC Mamba combined with the Airgun BBS, Night Vision Forum UK or UK Varminting should turn up a few reviews by actual shooters.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 20 Apr 2015, 9:49 pm

Radagast wrote:They are very popular in the UK with the night vision ratting, rabbiting and foxing crowd because the glass is not IR coated and the parallax adjustment is down to ten yards.

You've got some serious stalking skills if you're getting as close as 10 yards away from them.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Radagast » 20 Apr 2015, 11:06 pm

The ratting guys get set up and wait for them to appear. The rats can't see the shooter in the dark, the shooter can see them. Think of it as spotlighting, but the quarry can't see the spotlight. IR torches are used to illuminate NV. IR is different to visible light and the lens in a day scope will not focus IR to the normal settings. Set the parallax to 100 meters and the image will be unusable. Set it at 20m and the image will be perfectly focused at 100m. The Mamba is popular in the UK because it adjusts right down,good for NV andalso good for unlicensed sub 12fp air rifles.

Matt,have a browse through this you tube channel. It's dedicated to night vision,but most of the vids are shot through Mamba Lite. It will give you a feel for the scope at least.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Marky610/videos
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cala90 » 21 Apr 2015, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up going to my local store today to have a look at them. They didn't have much in stock but were getting more in towards the end of today. The quality of the scopes seem really good!

Does anyone know where they're made? I've read on a few forums they're made in China but the guy at the gun shop today insisted they were made in Japan?
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Radagast » 21 Apr 2015, 10:12 pm

'Optisan is a global manufacture with ISO9000 certified manufacturing facilities in three countries.' They are a Japanese design house.
Taiwan for binoculars, China for the cheapest scopes, more expensive scope may be marked 'Japan'. That doesn't mean made in Japan though.
The Mamba is noted for whiting out at 14 power, so its not the best glass.

I run Bushnell Legend HDs on my rimfires. Again, not fantastic glass but the rain guard coating definitely works and the glass & coatings are transparent to IR, which suits my shooting style. Although an American brand, from what I have read they are assembled in the Philippines. Vortex source their scopes from a number of contracting factories,so you may end up with a Chinese scope there.

Buy the scope which gives you the best image.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 21 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm

cala90 wrote:Does anyone know where they're made? I've read on a few forums they're made in China but the guy at the gun shop today insisted they were made in Japan?

Check the stamp on the scope before you hand over the money ;) :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cala90 » 21 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm

Radagast wrote:'Optisan is a global manufacture with ISO9000 certified manufacturing facilities in three countries.' They are a Japanese design house.
Taiwan for binoculars, China for the cheapest scopes, more expensive scope may be marked 'Japan'. That doesn't mean made in Japan though.
The Mamba is noted for whiting out at 14 power, so its not the best glass.

I run Bushnell Legend HDs on my rimfires. Again, not fantastic glass but the rain guard coating definitely works and the glass & coatings are transparent to IR, which suits my shooting style. Although an American brand, from what I have read they are assembled in the Philippines. Vortex source their scopes from a number of contracting factories,so you may end up with a Chinese scope there.

Buy the scope which gives you the best image.

Ahhh right, makes sense. He's getting more stock tomorrow so I'll have to have a good look.

I was looking at the Bushnell Legend but I kept hearing bad things about Bushnell warranty so I stayed away. I know the cheaper Vortex scopes are made in China, middle range in the Philippines. The Vortex still comes with a lifetime warranty though which I've heard very good things about.
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cala90 » 21 Apr 2015, 11:36 pm

Bourt wrote:
cala90 wrote:Does anyone know where they're made? I've read on a few forums they're made in China but the guy at the gun shop today insisted they were made in Japan?

Thanks mate, I'll have a good look over them tomorrow! :thumbsup:
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cala90 » 22 Apr 2015, 5:57 pm

Bourt wrote:

No markings on the scope at all of where it's made. Spoke to the importer, apparently assembled in Taiwan with Japanese glass.
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

Over and above place of manufacture, there are two things to consider:

1/ quality control
2/ warranty support

The Chinese can make some pretty damn good stuff if the right people are doing the QC.
If it fails or is damaged and is replaced or repaired, no questions asked; thats just gotta be a plus.

Both my mid lowe- mid level Vortex scopes work well as i need them to. The 3-9 Diamondback even surprised me shooting out to 600yd at the range. Like, i could actually see where i had to aim (target center) and hit it a few times (the X with a 223 & 50gn bulets). Holds a set zero well but still need convincing about dialing back and forth. Use it regularly in failing light and under a spot. Works fine.

No idea about Optisan.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pitty » 24 Apr 2015, 6:03 am

There is a review on the optisan in the april addition of sporting shooter. IMO the vortex hs glass is no better than a redfield revolution.
For around the same money i brought a Burris E1 scope & so glad i did. It was much clearer than the Vortex.
Pitty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cooker » 24 Apr 2015, 8:38 am

Gwion wrote:If it fails or is damaged and is replaced or repaired, no questions asked; thats just gotta be a plus.

Gotta love those kinds of warranties :D
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 5:34 pm

I'm on my 4th Vortex, and reckon they are great value for money. Now when someone says "great value for money" you usually think he's gone super cheap, but in the case of the Vortex I don't believe so. A Leopold VX1 is usually regarded as a good scope, not top drawer but the name has a lot behind it. MY 4-12 Vortex CrossfireII is clearer than my 4-12 Leopold. I can see 243 bullet holes at 200m with the Vortex but not with the Loopy.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 14 Jun 2015, 10:36 pm

headspace wrote:I'm on my 4th Vortex, and reckon they are great value for money. Now when someone says "great value for money" you usually think he's gone super cheap, but in the case of the Vortex I don't believe so. A Leopold VX1 is usually regarded as a good scope, not top drawer but the name has a lot behind it. MY 4-12 Vortex CrossfireII is clearer than my 4-12 Leopold. I can see 243 bullet holes at 200m with the Vortex but not with the Loopy.

I was sold on the Vortex Crossfire 4-12 and it was a great price but the guy at the LGS talked me into something else, the Vortex was so clear and so is my new one I may still get one
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cala90 » 14 Jun 2015, 10:54 pm

headspace wrote:I'm on my 4th Vortex, and reckon they are great value for money. Now when someone says "great value for money" you usually think he's gone super cheap, but in the case of the Vortex I don't believe so. A Leopold VX1 is usually regarded as a good scope, not top drawer but the name has a lot behind it. MY 4-12 Vortex CrossfireII is clearer than my 4-12 Leopold. I can see 243 bullet holes at 200m with the Vortex but not with the Loopy.

That's awesome. I'm (still looking) at either the Crossfire 4-12 or Diamondback 4-12. Both fairly good prices!
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bark » 15 Jun 2015, 8:57 am

headspace wrote:Now when someone says "great value for money" you usually think he's gone super cheap, but in the case of the Vortex I don't believe so.

Code for "im a cheap bastard and bought the cheapest passable thing" you reckon? :lol:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics