WEAVER BASE & RINGS V TALLEY 1 PIECE

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

WEAVER BASE & RINGS V TALLEY 1 PIECE

Post by ToyotaBoy » 04 May 2015, 6:15 pm

i need to be educated by the brains trust on here. ive just bought a browning x-bolt high grade fluted in 30/06 (see pics) which will be topped of with a leupold vx-r 2-7x33. when i opened the box it came with a set of weaver bases. went back to the LGS and asked about what my options were in regard to scope mounts. he said talley are the way to go, so i went back home and search the wide web and found out what they were and how they mouned. so just for giggles i went to the other LGS and they said nothing beats the weaver bases i have with the rings that go with it. back to teh web i went to see how weaver bases and rings work but can only figure out how the bases work and not how the rings attach to the weaver bases. from what i can figure out is that talley are 1 piece comaperd to wearvers which are 2 piece base and rings. to me its seems pointless having weaver base then rings when talley are 1 piece.

please correct me if im wrong or is there really another explanation for weaver over talley that i cant see, i would appeciate if someone could tell me if there really is any difference or is it just a mattere of preference?

1.jpg
1.jpg (57.48 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

5.jpg
5.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

6.jpg
6.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

7.jpg
7.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

8.jpg
8.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: WEAVER BASE & RINGS V TALLEY 1 PIECE

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2015, 5:03 am

Nice rifle!

Put simply, the fewer points of attachment between your optic and your rifle, the less chance for something to come loose or move in a bump. Hence, one piece rings are thought by many to be better.

An advantage of two piece mounts is that it is easier to remove the scope for rifle maintenance and remount it without having to go through the whole leveling and torqing the rings again. Just put it back on, torque up the mounting screws and re-check your zero.

On the other hand, many people just get a favourite brand or type for no other reason than they have never used anything else. Quite often, grand dad or a favourite uncle once told them they were the best and so they must be for ever more.

Just to confuse you further, you can also get something like the DNZ Game Reaper, which is a one piece scope mount (http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game ... rowning-5/). Because both rings are machined from the one solid piece of stock and are a integral unit, you are guaranteed that they are concentric to each other. They also have the added bonus of stiffening the action somewhat in the same way that a rail will.

Took me a while to warm to the idea because i just didn't like the name (stupid, really) but once i fit one to one of my rifles, i went and got another one. In fact, i'd buy them for any rifle they would fit that was intended for mainly hunting. For a target/tactical rifle i'd go something else.

When i fit mine and remounted the scope, i moved the turrets back to mechanical zero to bore sight it and when i looked through the barrel, it was on the X that marks the spot!

They are quite affordable too.

And if you really want flexibility for mounting and have some dollars to burn, you can get this type: http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_ ... Field2.y=7

or, if you really need to tie that sucker of a scope down, you can go for something like this: http://spuhrwebshop.com/en/mounts-for-picatinny/

Hope that cleared things up for you. :sarcasm: :D

Have fun with that nice new rifle! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by ebr love » 05 May 2015, 2:06 pm

ToyotaBoy wrote:please correct me if im wrong or is there really another explanation for weaver over talley that i cant see, i would appeciate if someone could tell me if there really is any difference or is it just a mattere of preference?

Just use the weaver mate, they're perfectly fine and are on thousands of accurate rifles.

Like Gwion said, in theory the fewer points of attachment between your optic and your rifle, the less chance for something to come loose or move in a bump. In theory. In practice I guarantee you won't find any tests comparing weaver to 1 piece rings on a sporter rifle and there being a difference in accuracy.

You've had to be shooting the heaviest recoiling cartridges for hair splitting long range accuracy for the rings to have influence.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ToyotaBoy » 06 May 2015, 3:57 pm

hey guys thanks heaps for the explanation. it makes sense to me now. cheers
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sarki » 07 May 2015, 2:43 pm

If you want to talk big recoil, high precision stuff with someone drop a PM to brett1868.

He'd be the man to speak to.

What happened to the Big Guns topic too btw :unknown:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 10 May 2015, 10:32 am

I noticed that was gone for some reason too :(
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 11 May 2015, 3:02 pm

Nice choice there Toyota.

How does it go? Got some glass on it and taken it to the range yet?
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 20 May 2015, 10:30 am

Good looking grade walnut right there :thumbsup:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ToyotaBoy » 14 Aug 2015, 11:35 pm

ok boys and girls. finallly after saving my lil pennies my girl is now wearing her new dress. i chose a leupold VXR 3-9x40 with a firedot duplex. now just gotta take her for a test drive at the range.
is it possible to fall in love with a gun :D :D

1.jpg
1.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (38.83 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

5.jpg
5.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

6.jpg