who uses a red dot scope on their bolt action?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

who uses a red dot scope on their bolt action?

Post by Goshawk » 28 May 2015, 7:07 pm

Hi all,
Who uses a red dot scope on their bolt action rifle here? (apart from North East...)
Where's the photos and do you like using it?

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: who uses a red dot scope on their bolt action?

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 7:10 pm

:drinks:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Goshawk » 28 May 2015, 7:29 pm

Mmmm that reminds me.... Beer! Thanks North East!
I'm thinking of putting a Vortex Sparc2 on the browning for the remainder of the deer season, I think I have only shot critters over 100m a hand full of times in last few years. Plus, I seem to be accidentally sneaking up and stepping on foxes a lot lately, then I can't find them with my scope fast enough!
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 7:43 pm

2 MOA red dot, 10 levels of brightness....that should do the job. It's important to the have the red dot small like 2 MOA. What's it cost compared to an Aimpoint?

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Goshawk » 28 May 2015, 7:56 pm

I remembered in a previous chat with you (NE) where you said to look for a 2MOA dot.
Around $300. They get some good reviews, if I like it by end of season I'll throw it on the savage 22 and get a aimpoint for a long term 'dot of door's.
Why is your red dot so long? It looks like a normal scope in size.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 8:04 pm

Goshawk wrote:I remembered in a previous chat with you (NE) where you said to look for a 2MOA dot.
Around $300. They get some good reviews, if I like it by end of season I'll throw it on the savage 22 and get a aimpoint for a long term 'dot of door's.
Why is your red dot so long? It looks like a normal scope in size.

I don't know why my Aimpoint is larger....but it's still got unlimited eye relief. It's a lot smaller than a normal scope though. Maybe it's a recoil thing....I don't know.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by North East » 29 May 2015, 3:51 pm

So I guess no one else around here is using them? Strange....very popular around my neck of the woods.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 3:59 pm

I have an Aimpoint H-1 micro now for my old Win Model 94 top eject 30-30

Mounting soon so will report on how it goes sitting just at the front of the receiver. May need to play around with the height it I mounted at for line of sight aiming on the little lever gun.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by North East » 29 May 2015, 4:10 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I have an Aimpoint H-1 micro now for my old Win Model 94 top eject 30-30

Mounting soon so will report on how it goes sitting just at the front of the receiver. May need to play around with the height it I mounted at for line of sight aiming on the little lever gun.

Fine scope, nothing but quality with the Aimpoint line of scopes. Let us know how it goes.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 4:20 pm

North East wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:I have an Aimpoint H-1 micro now for my old Win Model 94 top eject 30-30

Fine scope, nothing but quality with the Aimpoint line of scopes. Let us know how it goes.

If I can hit a barn door in low light side on at 15m it will be an improvement on my last attempt with iron sights.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 29 May 2015, 4:27 pm

I have 3 of the Bushnell First Strike red dot sights, 1 on the spotting scope to make it easier finding distant targets, 1 on the 20" Mossburg and the 3rd on a 45-70 Marlin lever action. They are reasonably cheap, low profile so don't snag anything and since I'm only shooting to 100m max the 5 MOA dot is ok. If I was shooting further then I'd invest on something with a 2 or 3 MOA dot.

A question now...when using these types of sights, should they be closer to the muzzle or to the eye or doesn't it matter?

These sell for around $220 depending on where you shop.

http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/trophy-red-dot/first-strike
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 29 May 2015, 4:51 pm

Know quite a few blokes with red dots on bolt actions.. One mate has an old 303 shortened with a reddot on it.. Very cool and very accurate as well.. He uses on the bike and walking the scrub.. Real knock about rifle...
Thinking of getting on for my BLR as well and used them on friends SLR and SKS a lot..
I love em, but most of what we do is inside 100m...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 29 May 2015, 5:22 pm

brett1868 wrote:I have 3 of the Bushnell First Strike red dot sights, 1 on the spotting scope to make it easier finding distant targets, 1 on the 20" Mossburg and the 3rd on a 45-70 Marlin lever action. They are reasonably cheap, low profile so don't snag anything and since I'm only shooting to 100m max the 5 MOA dot is ok. If I was shooting further then I'd invest on something with a 2 or 3 MOA dot.

A question now...when using these types of sights, should they be closer to the muzzle or to the eye or doesn't it matter?

Doesn't matter how close to the eye they are....virtually no parallax error. I went with the Aimpoint Hunter 2 MOA red dot and have taken in out to about 200 meters. Seen blokes on Youtube in USA taking a 1X out to 400 meters.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2015, 12:34 am

Doesn't matter how close to the eye they are....virtually no parallax error. I went with the Aimpoint Hunter 2 MOA red dot and have taken in out to about 200 meters. Seen blokes on Youtube in USA taking a 1X out to 400 meters

Thanks for that, I figured eye relief wasn't a problem and I mounted them where they fell into field of view best. I quite like these sights, very compact and perfect for the 12Ga.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 30 May 2015, 1:22 am

brett1868 wrote:
Doesn't matter how close to the eye they are....virtually no parallax error. I went with the Aimpoint Hunter 2 MOA red dot and have taken in out to about 200 meters. Seen blokes on Youtube in USA taking a 1X out to 400 meters

Thanks for that, I figured eye relief wasn't a problem and I mounted them where they fell into field of view best. I quite like these sights, very compact and perfect for the 12Ga.

Hmmmm Adler
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2015, 6:24 pm

Not on a bolt action rifle but just started a project to fit a red dot to a 12g U/O shotgun......

looking for a red n green dot - cant see the front bead in low light calling up doggies in the scrub, even the fibre optic leaves a lot to be desired in low light. Works well standing in the middle of the paddock but unfortunately the dogs aren't there and the rifle looks after that..
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Releb » 02 Jun 2015, 12:01 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Not on a bolt action rifle but just started a project to fit a red dot to a 12g U/O shotgun......

For dusting bunnings?
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Jun 2015, 1:00 pm

Releb wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Not on a bolt action rifle but just started a project to fit a red dot to a 12g U/O shotgun......

For dusting bunnings?

if bunnings get in the way, yep...

Cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 03 Jun 2015, 2:22 pm

I couldn't find the video (if anyone has the link share it? It's on here somewhere) of that European, I think he was, hunting boar with the bolt action and red dot.

Small herds running past and he takes 4-5 of them in about 6 seconds.

Great setup :thumbsup:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by North East » 03 Jun 2015, 2:45 pm

Seconds wrote:I couldn't find the video (if anyone has the link share it? It's on here somewhere) of that European, I think he was, hunting boar with the bolt action and red dot.

Small herds running past and he takes 4-5 of them in about 6 seconds.

Great setup :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Wkz58rZOw

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

brett1868 wrote:I have 3 of the Bushnell First Strike red dot sights, 1 on the spotting scope to make it easier finding distant targets, 1 on the 20" Mossburg and the 3rd on a 45-70 Marlin lever action. They are reasonably cheap, low profile so don't snag anything and since I'm only shooting to 100m max the 5 MOA dot is ok. If I was shooting further then I'd invest on something with a 2 or 3 MOA dot.

mmmm you got me thinking about my old 3006. Only has open sights and my old eyes need some help. Bloody price is right.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 03 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

well well well, we have the same rifle so i will be waiting on that report :thumbsup: i just put a peep sight on mine but a mate put a red dot (copy/fake) on his lads lever .22 and it seems a good thing :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Jun 2015, 9:39 am

Tom, will do for sure. It isn't one of my priorities right now, but once I have the mount set up finalised, will do.

Have 3 options:
1- Buy a Tac-Rail specifically designed for the top eject Model 94 (Pre and Post 1964), NO DRILLING OF RECEIVER REQ'D !! $55 USD plus small postage.

2 -Dovetail blank with vertical stud, use piece of pic rail drilled to sit on the post, stud lock and nut to lock it down in position. Once tested and sighted in, remove sight and solder the two mounting parts together?

3 -Buy a hand gun rear iron sight adaptor mount -> pic/weaver rail for reflex sights etc. $40 generic - $80 USD FOR NOVAK plus small postage.

Or to be particularly period correct for pre 1966 Winchesters, this sight, and I will buy one, some day, is a Lyman 56a receiver sight. After 1966 I believe they went to the Lyman 66a receiver sight. It actually makes sense to me now while I type it. Memory fade/lack of sleep :thumbsup:
If anyone has one or knows of one I would pay for it. I'm no tight arse tyre kicker. :drinks:

Lyman 56a.jpg
Lyman 56a.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 10177 times

option 1

Let Basil at pearsonstacrail@gmail.com know I sent you
http://mod94scoperail.com/testimonials.html
http://mod94scoperail.com/index.html

option 3 example. There are other styles and brands but you get the picture and a picture ;) Blued/black + matte/shiny are options obviously.

410-dovetail-mount.jpg
Small, but ample length for H-1 micro weaver clamping.
410-dovetail-mount.jpg (58.08 KiB) Viewed 10177 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Hercl » 04 Jun 2015, 2:26 pm

North East wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Wkz58rZOw

Not a bad shot that bloke :mrgreen:
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 05 Jun 2015, 12:20 pm

I'd be lucky to have hit just one of them even with all those running past :lol:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Goshawk » 27 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm

Hey all,
Finally got my mountain deer rig finished. All weighs in at 6.3pounds with sling. Not bad considering it still has a 22 inch barrel!
Saved 100 grams by replacing the squeaky metal buckles on sling with 'd-loop' cord used on my compound bow.
The Vortex SPARC2 is really nice. I have since mounted the scope forward of the receiver .
Attachments
mms_20150627_170915.jpg
mms_20150627_170915.jpg (362.34 KiB) Viewed 10129 times
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Chronos » 27 Jun 2015, 6:53 pm

Goshawk wrote:Hey all,
Finally got my mountain deer rig finished. All weighs in at 6.3pounds with sling. Not bad considering it still has a 22 inch barrel!
Saved 100 grams by replacing the squeaky metal buckles on sling with 'd-loop' cord used on my compound bow.
The Vortex SPARC2 is really nice. I have since mounted the scope forward of the receiver .

Cable ties go alright too ;)

I've just picked up an old Eotech with a 1MOA dot inside a 65MOA circle.

I'll see how it goes on my .44Magnum lever but I can also drop it on a weaver/pic rail on 2 of my Tikkas.

I can see the value of the small dot. Put the dot on the vital zone anywhere out to 250m with my .308 or 7-08 and it's dead. But the ring (65MOA) would suit the .44Mag where fast shots at around 40m would be easy peasy. :thumbsup: at that range the circle would be about 2 foot diameter

I also grabbed a bushnell fastfire as well which could also go in the lever gun but might find a home on my 1911 .22 pistol :clap:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

Well, what wet Monday here BUT I've just received the parcel with a Optic sight AND the Picatinny rail for the O/U shotgun project.

Guess that gives me a inside job todo now (Hapy Dance) :D

Cheers,

sun.1.jpg
sun.1.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Swarm » 29 Jun 2015, 2:44 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Well, what wet Monday here BUT I've just received the parcel with a Optic sight AND the Picatinny rail for the O/U shotgun project.

Have you used Sun Optics before?

Seeing all the ads these days has gotten me curious for one.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Jun 2015, 6:20 pm

Na, 1st time I've sighted one. Came across them doing a bit of research into optic sights. Went into the LGS and all I got was 'Nope", No idea", "Don't use 'em" etc. There was a couple down from Bribie Island in the shop too and he said to me afterwards that the answers and level of service floored him.
I couldn't find a mount to fit the U/O shotgun in Australia but located one at Sun Optics in Texas, USA and rang and spoke to Duane, had a yarn re project and he suggested the CD13-RG2. Purchased direct from Sun Optics.
I've mounted the sight and when I get a chance (possibly later this week) will give it a test run.. :D :thumbsup: .

sun.2.jpg
sun.2.jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 10094 times

sun.4.jpg
sun.4.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 10094 times

Cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics