Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Post by brett1868 » 27 Jul 2015, 7:34 am

I have to shoot off a bench otherwise I end up with a face full of dirt and grass. I have a fully sik steel bench made from the side of a combine harvester that sits on 3 legs of 3" steel bore tube. I've made it a "Tacticool" bench by adding cup holders, adjustable bipod stop rail and box for spent brass. The next mod will be a black blanket for the top as the existing grey isn't tacticool enough and I'll upgrade the 20L drum seat from empty to full to improve stability. :lol: :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 27 Jul 2015, 9:41 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I'm not saying that people don't need more or shouldn't buy more, simply that you don't neccessarily need to spend a fortune.

Horses for courses ;)
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 9:46 am

Gwion wrote:Fair call. A reasonably priced scope can work. At the same time, if you have the spare cash for good gear, why not use it? Even if you aren't champion level it's still nice to use good gear if you have the option.

Yep everything has a priority, if an $800 scope will do the job reliably for me I am able to use the money elsewhere

Whilst not a total cheapskate I do like value and my maximum cartridge for target shooting out to 1200m is .308 and I can get by with what I have. I regularly remove the T36 and fit the variable (thank god for zero return mounts)to my main rifle due to mirage.

There is a point where it becomes overkill or an obsession, whilst it is nice to have good gear it often doesn't automatically compensate for other factors. It seems to be a growing trend that people get all wound up and concerned that they must have the latest and greatest or they are wasting their time. In reality they would be better off using what they have and simply competing or going hunting.

As an example I am constantly annoyed by a club member who gives reams of advice every time I see him about what I should be using so I can shoot better but in reality he has been with us for ten years, turns up regularly and shoots but has never fired a shot in competition despite constantly developing loads and changing calibres twice in the past three years and having two setups worth, I would think, in excess of $7000 each."That's nice" gets a frequent workout.

I guess the point I am trying to get to is some people are more in love with the gadgets rather than their purpose and woe betide anyone who has a contrary view, if fiddling floats your boat well and good but don't try and project your world onto my life as it is not for me. I am also sick of hearing "secondhand opinions" just because so and so has or does this why does that make you an expert? Go away and do the same then come and preach to me from a position of authority not on the say so of someone elses experience.

FWIW my most expensive sight (a whim) at nearly $4000 sits on a $1000 tikka wheras the equivalent (and perfectly suitable for a .22) Yukon is around the same price as the Savage but both have a purpose that can't be satisfied by anything else.

Now I would love a march, NF etc etc but the grouser plates on my excavator need attention, then there is the new access bridge, the roof on the shack, the solar battery bank is too small for the frequency we are using it at the moment etc etc etc...................... I need to show some restraint or I will have to get back on the full time work treadmill. If it doesn't contribute to living life is it really value? Only the individual can answer that question and the response really only matters to themself.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

I'm with you, XP22.

AS a youngster i was a competitive cyclist. One mate at the club ended up with the listing of "You Should" in my phone book because it was always, 'you should get this....'

I had a hand me down bikes from an uncle and routinely beat him on his flasher new gear: except on the hill climbs... he could definitely climb a hill and get away if i didn't drop him on the approach.

All i was getting at was that if you have the money spare and want to use good gear, go right ahead. That said, i totally agree that fancier gear doesn't make you an expert.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Seik » 29 Jul 2015, 10:45 am

Gwion wrote:All i was getting at was that if you have the money spare and want to use good gear, go right ahead. That said, i totally agree that fancier gear doesn't make you an expert.

Can hurt peoples fundamentals tool if they just go straight to buying top shelf and miss the learning experience on the way up.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BradZ » 14 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm

Well untill 2 hours ago I didnt have anything to add to this thread but now I do.
$1,000 Tikka T3 22-250 with a $400 Redfield Revolution 4-12×40

Now I have a $1,000 Tikka with a $1,400 Zeiss Conquest 5-25x50mm

Amazing scope though :)
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gun Nut Gordo » 14 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm

Honestly bang for buck Nikon make the best scopes I've had for hunting purposes, or as some of the other guys say "Set and forget"
They have good clarity, decent coatings and available in a lot of magnifications and reticles.

But yeah if you want a target scope that you're going to fiddle with, or a really powerful rifle that's going to give a scope a hard time get ready to shell out the clams
Gun Nut Gordo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Atter » 19 Aug 2015, 9:38 am

Without going overboard I think spending the most you can on glass is money reasonably well spent.

When you can move them from rifle to rifle they can last a lifetime if cared for.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 19 Aug 2015, 10:54 am

It all boils down to $, how much do you have specifically.

Let me use myself as an example, I have $1500 and I want a .223, so howa stainless thumbhole in .223 $750, ziess t3 4-12x50 $650, 200 ppu .223 $150 and dnz 1 piece $82.22, total $1632.22.

I went over budget and for following week, no eating out, packed breakfast and lunch and no alcohol.

On hindsight, I need to get better with math.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Rippah » 26 Aug 2015, 8:50 am

zobster wrote:I went over budget and for following week, no eating out, packed breakfast and lunch and no alcohol.

On hindsight, I need to get better with math.

Ha ha.

Oh well you can go a week without a few treats, a good setup will last you forever.

Buy once, cry once.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics