Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Post by aaronjo » 29 May 2015, 7:43 pm

Ok guys,

I've always heard the line "Spend as much on glass as your rifle!"

I'm new to guns but do you really?
Last edited by aaronjo on 29 May 2015, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Post by North East » 29 May 2015, 7:51 pm

T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...$1100.00.
Meopta Meostar R2 4-16X44...$1200.00.
Last edited by North East on 29 May 2015, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baz460 » 29 May 2015, 7:52 pm

About 30 years ago I bought a 8x56 Kahles scope, that was worth a lot more than the Rem .17 I put it on., I still have the same scope on a Ruger 26/06 today.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 29 May 2015, 8:27 pm

But you don't really need to it that way....plenty of cheaper scopes around that will do the job.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 29 May 2015, 8:49 pm

Bought a Ruger M77 Mkii Vt .204 in as new condition with a Leupold Vx-3 8.5-25x50 for $2200
I think the cost if new would've been:
Rifle - $700-$900?
Scope - $1500?
I'm not sure if those prices are correct but I think so :unknown:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2015, 8:59 pm

I did once but honestly I wouldn't bother again. Some of my cheaper scopes are just as good to my eyes so see no reason to spend big $$$ again. Having said that I don't think I'd bother buying a cheap High Mag Scope, in that case I think it would be wise to buy better quality to get the full benefit of the higher mag ranges (cheap ones tend to be a bit ordinary when they get used up in their higher mag ranges from my experience. :thumbsup:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 29 May 2015, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jonesy » 29 May 2015, 9:09 pm

I think there is plenty of good Scopes that do the job that do not break the bank.
Jonesy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 29 May 2015, 9:50 pm

i spent more on the glass
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 9:57 pm

I've spent more on glass than my tray back ute
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2015, 10:01 pm

deye243 wrote:i spent more on the glass

:lol: Yes no doubt the NF cost a pretty penny and well worth it for the long range type shooting ya love to do, definitely need good glass to do that for sure. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Browning » 29 May 2015, 11:02 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I've spent more on glass than my tray back ute

Haha love it...

I've a tikka t3 22-250 with a swaro z3 and another t3 308 with a z6 on it (picked up the z6 for a steal)
Love both scopes and never stop being amazed at what u can see through them at dusk and night..
I may one day change the rifles but will always keep those scopes...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2015, 12:10 am

Some scopes are double the cost of some of my rifles but I scope the rifle based on it's intended purpose, the .204, 22-250 & .257 Wby Mag are purely for hunting so I scoped them with Leupold VX2 4-12x50 with a simple duplex reticule. Good scopes and do the job perfectly at approx. $800 each they are 1/3 the cost of the rifles they're mounted to. For the field artillery I have a mixed bag of optics among which are some NXS 8-32x56, NXS 12-42x56, Leupold VX4 L/RT 8.5-25x50, Khales k624i 6-24x56 FFP and a recently acquired S&B 12-50/56 PM II/P also with FFP. Taking into account the cost of the tacticool rifles compared to the hunting rifles, I'm still averaging 1/3 for optics not including mounts as they cost from $220 for Barrett to $675 for Era Tac adjustable.
My opinion on glass is to get something suited for the intended job, and built to last as many shooters including myself often keep the scope when selling the rifle. And most importantly. Don't skimp on rings and mounts.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 May 2015, 7:47 am

That's pretty much how I see it too Brett, long range type work with big cals get the best you can afford, for hunting you can definitely get away with less expensive optics that will be very serviceable for the job intended.

Some nice optics you have there by the way mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 30 May 2015, 7:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:That's pretty much how I see it too Brett, long range type work with big cals get the best you can afford, for hunting you can definitely get away with less expensive optics that will be very serviceable for the job intended.

yep i just have VX3 on the another 6 and VX2 on 2 as well
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 May 2015, 8:22 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:That's pretty much how I see it too Brett, long range type work with big cals get the best you can afford, for hunting you can definitely get away with less expensive optics that will be very serviceable for the job intended.

yep i just have VX3 on the another 6 and VX2 on 2 as well

Nothing wrong with em at all for hunting purposes (which is what they are designed for) got a 12x Fixed M8 Leupold on my 222 Howa, been there 30 odd yrs now and still doing a fine job (used it to cull with for many years) it never let me down ever. Got a few of the Redfields now and they too have been fine and just bought a 2nd hand one the other day for the daughters 22 :thumbsup:

My way of thinking is if you are shooting long distance and fiddling with dials all the time buy quality, its more suited to those applications, if its a set and forget type setup there really isn't a need to spend a fortune as most of the medium priced range ones are good enough for that type of application, I've got a couple of 30+yr old Jap Tascos that have been brilliant and still going strong and I've never ever had to adjust them (other than when I change ammo brands and POA has changed as a result, other than that they are just set and forget propositions that work and work well (day or night). :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 31 May 2015, 1:02 am

Scott,
Have you got or used a Jap Tasco with the wide angle view gimmick, optical illusion ?
No mines still not for sale.

2015-05-28 16.49.53.jpg
2015-05-28 16.49.53.jpg (364 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 May 2015, 1:55 am

No mate, never used one, I have heard of em but never seen one until now. She's a bloody fine cross hair, could be interesting under the light. :D I really like the Plex type reticles with the thick bars on the outside going down to a finer bar in the centre, they tend to make it quick and easy to get on target with. :thumbsup:

So how do you find the scope?

Plex Reticle
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachments/plex_reticle-png.85002/
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 31 May 2015, 2:11 am

I haven't re installed it yet. Stripped the bridge mount/scope off at the LGS to check the model stamps on top of the receiver. Even though we knew the year made therefore model anyway. 1981 BRNO 30-06... Ummm maybe a ZKK600? Of course :P

It is clear to look through, just scoped my animals out the back. The cross hairs are fine alright but the wider sections do draw you to centre quite well. Like most Plex in this style. Haven't tried it in low light yet or under spotty. Will do tomorrow. Geoff my LGS owner said he used to sell them when he started out in the industry 25 years ago.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 May 2015, 2:22 am

KWhorenet wrote:I haven't re installed it yet. Stripped the bridge mount/scope off at the LGS to check the model stamps on top of the receiver. Even though we knew the year made therefore model anyway. 1981 BRNO 30-06... Ummm maybe a ZKK600? Of course :P

It is clear to look through, just scoped my animals out the back. The cross hairs are fine alright but the wider sections do draw you to centre quite well. Like most Plex in this style. Haven't tried it in low light yet or under spotty. Will do tomorrow. Geoff my LGS owner said he used to sell them when he started out in the industry 25 years ago.

I look forward to seeing how you find them under the light mate. :thumbsup: Nothing wrong with the Jap Tascos - they are generally very good. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 31 May 2015, 3:03 am

Just googled 'gold crown' and see the scopes the old man had in the 80's/90's were Nikko Sterling 4x32 Silver Crown and 6x40 Gold Crown.
Were great under light. never used them much in the day. 80% was spot lighting, day shooting was 410 SB, pumpy 12G or 22lr semi with iron sights mainly.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 May 2015, 10:15 am

KWhorenet wrote:Just googled 'gold crown' and see the scopes the old man had in the 80's/90's were Nikko Sterling 4x32 Silver Crown and 6x40 Gold Crown.
Were great under light. never used them much in the day. 80% was spot lighting, day shooting was 410 SB, pumpy 12G or 22lr semi with iron sights mainly.

Yeah I think the Jap versions were well made for the $$ like the Tasco Jap Scopes. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Franky » 31 May 2015, 7:34 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Just googled 'gold crown' and see the scopes the old man had in the 80's/90's were Nikko Sterling 4x32 Silver Crown and 6x40 Gold Crown.

The Nikko Sterling 4x32 Silver Crown were standard issue with the Ruger 10/22 or so it seemed back then everyone had one of each. the ruger and the 4x32 :thumbsup:
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 31 May 2015, 8:51 pm

I could easily spend what my Savage Axis cost on a decent scope for it.
Damn these accurate affordable rifles.....

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.ozscopes.com.au/nikon-monarc ... scope.html

No more funds available for shooting for awhile though.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 31 May 2015, 10:17 pm

FuzzyM wrote:I could easily spend what my Savage Axis cost on a decent scope for it.

Seems a reasonable price for a 1" tube 4-16x42 scope but what's with the in stock and ships in 6-8 weeks?? I'd have expected an instock item to ship much faster. Have you considered any of the Vortex scopes? Similar price to the Nikon and available much faster. Check this one below as a guide to what's available in that price range and I'd prefer 50mm over 42mm objective especially if spot lighting.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-4-16x50-ao-riflescope-with-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 01 Jun 2015, 2:51 pm

Close, but not more.

$1,270 or so on the rifle, $950 on the scope.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 01 Jun 2015, 6:01 pm

brett1868 wrote:
FuzzyM wrote:I could easily spend what my Savage Axis cost on a decent scope for it.

Seems a reasonable price for a 1" tube 4-16x42 scope but what's with the in stock and ships in 6-8 weeks?? I'd have expected an instock item to ship much faster. Have you considered any of the Vortex scopes? Similar price to the Nikon and available much faster. Check this one below as a guide to what's available in that price range and I'd prefer 50mm over 42mm objective especially if spot lighting.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-4-16x50-ao-riflescope-with-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle

Had looked at the vortexes, they were on my shortlist.
It has been awhile since I looked at scopes, spent the last of my shooting money for awhile on a 303 and a leupold to adorn it.
I think I liked the idea of side focus on the Nikon.
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to step up to 50mm O/L.
Yeah, 6-8 weeks isn't really most people's idea of available.......
Last edited by FuzzyM on 01 Jun 2015, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 01 Jun 2015, 6:33 pm

My Tikka .308 cost $1450 has a Leupold VX-R 4-12 X40 Cost $780. I think the price was wrong on the website as a couple of weeks later it was $980 :drinks:

My new Tikka hunter .223 should arrive Friday from Melbourne cost $1285 and has a Leupold VX-R 3-9 X40 cost $790

Both rifles are Stainless and have the Med Warne Rings. Should see me and my kids get some darn good use out of them that's for sure. Now just waiting on the new 4WD to get out there and have some fun :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2015, 10:17 am

Just ordered a scope that is worth more than my rifle. By the time it's in use and i have a new barrel on the Howa, it will be about the same price with mounts and such.

Scope i have has been fine thus far, but changing the way i use this rifle so an upgrade was in order.

Hope it's worth it! :)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 10:51 am

Why are you swapping the barrel out G?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RDobber » 02 Jun 2015, 11:06 am

$800 to $1000 is the ceiling for me, and depending on what you're shooting you may not need anything that expensive. $400 - $500 still buys a perfectly good scope for a lot of applications.

I'm no expert on extreme range shooting but that's perhaps the only place to spend more on a scope? (Brett?)

There are so many fantastic scopes for a grand or a bit under if you can specifically say why you need anything more I think your wasting your money a bit.

I've used the higher end Bushnell and Leupold around that price point out to 600m and have no complaints at that distance with them.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics