Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jun 2015, 7:36 pm

I solved the left / right hand issue by buying my boy a lever action 22LR which he hasn't seen yet (will be a surprise when I take him on his first hunt). Toying with the idea of teaching him to shoot right handed from the get go so he won't know any different when he gets older.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2015, 8:06 pm

Yep. The T-bolt 22lr in left hand is very quick and quite nice to shoot. Just need the centerfire version for longer shots.

Toyed with the idea of a lever but i just like the bolt action. Simple and easy for a nonce like me to understand when it comes to maintenance.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2015, 8:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:I solved the left / right hand issue by buying my boy a lever action 22LR which he hasn't seen yet (will be a surprise when I take him on his first hunt). Toying with the idea of teaching him to shoot right handed from the get go so he won't know any different when he gets older.

If his eyes are right dominant, that's probably the best way to go.

I'm a righty, but my left eye sees better and it didn't take long to learn to shoot lefty with some proficiency.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by FuzzyM » 04 Jun 2015, 9:14 pm

I am cross eye dominant, I shoot right handed as I didn't realise my left eye was dominant until last year.
I am lazy so I buy right handed rifles and shoot right handed.
I can get a slightly more comfortable sight picture with my left eye, but not drastically so.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 04 Jun 2015, 9:32 pm

Gwion wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I solved the left / right hand issue by buying my boy a lever action 22LR which he hasn't seen yet (will be a surprise when I take him on his first hunt). Toying with the idea of teaching him to shoot right handed from the get go so he won't know any different when he gets older.

If his eyes are right dominant, that's probably the best way to go.

I'm a righty, but my left eye sees better and it didn't take long to learn to shoot lefty with some proficiency.

I've always shot left handed although I am right hand dominant. I kick a football with my right foot, everything is done with my right hand except for shooting. I like it that way.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jun 2015, 11:23 pm

I've always shot left handed although I am right hand dominant. I kick a football with my right foot, everything is done with my right hand except for shooting. I like it that way.

Interesting, when you started shooting did you start right handed then found left more comfortable? I'm hoping my left handed boy can be comfortable shooting right handed as buy rifles will be a much simpler process.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jun 2015, 11:24 pm

Interesting, when you started shooting did you start right handed then found left more comfortable? I'm hoping my left handed boy can be comfortable shooting right handed as buy rifles will be a much simpler process.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by North East » 04 Jun 2015, 11:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:

I started shooting when I was about 16 years old....about 40 years ago! For some unbeknown reason I also prefer shooting left hand. In the late 70's just after the Vietnam war I was in the ADF trying to shoot an SLR right hand....it simply did not work. From that time on they let me shoot the right hand action rifle left handed....just had to put up with shells ejecting across my face. Ever since then I have purchased left hand action rifles....even though I do everything else right handed.

If your son is more comfortable shooting left hand....let him. Plenty of left hand action rifles available these days.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 05 Jun 2015, 11:38 am

Gwion wrote:Yeah, it's just annoyingly slow to cycle and there's no way to do it without losing sight picture so that makes it even slower in practical terms.

Ever tried a straight pull option?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2015, 2:09 pm

Norton wrote:
Gwion wrote:Yeah, it's just annoyingly slow to cycle and there's no way to do it without losing sight picture so that makes it even slower in practical terms.

Ever tried a straight pull option?

Yep. I've got a Browning T-bolt left hand straight pull. I like it and it shoots pretty good. Quick to cycle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Xerox » 09 Jun 2015, 2:12 pm

How does a right hand straight-pull go for a leftie?

Workable or would you be hitting your face all the time?
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 09 Jun 2015, 3:19 pm

Like anything, you could make it work.

Many lefties shoot cack handed and reach all the way over the scope to cycle the bolt. Too annoying for me and slow and you lose sight picture which means you can't get rapid, reliable shots at multiple targets when pest shooting. Besides, i'm not left handed but shoot left for eyesight reasons, so coordinating all that with my "off" hand is extra annoying!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Jun 2015, 11:36 am

It's mission skinned knuckles with a 'scoped R.H., B.A. rifle! Very hard to keep the stock into the shoulder while you roll the rifle onto its side to operate the bolt; bang the knuckles on the upstroke and skin 'em on the scope clambering a fresh round.

Semi auto;s are worse, get hot brass down the shirt front. Not a good look getting the gear of to get the spent shells out. Puts the other shooters right off their game when you ask for cold water to cool the burn on the boobs! :crazy:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm

RoginaJack wrote:It's mission skinned knuckles with a 'scoped R.H., B.A. rifle! Very hard to keep the stock into the shoulder while you roll the rifle onto its side to operate the bolt; bang the knuckles on the upstroke and skin 'em on the scope clambering a fresh round.

Semi auto;s are worse, get hot brass down the shirt front. Not a good look getting the gear of to get the spent shells out. Puts the other shooters right off their game when you ask for cold water to cool the burn on the boobs! :crazy:

You could always switch to "Gangsta" style, should keep the brass from flying up :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

I was a dyed in the wool Leopold man, and before that I loved my Bausch and Lomb 2.5-8. But I've recently gone over to Vortex. You don't need to spend a fortune and the glass is top quality, and I haven't even go to the Razor yet. I have three 4-12 scopes in Vortex, 2 CrossfireII's and one Diamondback. MY sole Leopold is a 3-9x50 on my 308. SO unless you are into super long range target or benchrest, using the premise of matching cost of rifle to cost of scope is crazy. Optics have improved out of sight (no pun) in recent times and will continue to. The fact that more scope company's are offering lifetime warranties should bear this out.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 15 Jun 2015, 11:05 am

brett1868 wrote:You could always switch to "Gangsta" style, should keep the brass from flying up :)

Sending a hot case down the side of your shoe could make for an interesting dance :lol:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 15 Jun 2015, 11:08 am

RoginaJack wrote:Semi auto;s are worse, get hot brass down the shirt front. Not a good look getting the gear of to get the spent shells out.

When I was in Vegas we did some pistol shooting at a range with dividing walls between each shooter. I was standing behind my partner who was shooting and had 2 cases in a row bounce off the divider, copped one in the face and one down the shirt :lol:

RO couldn't work out WTF I was doing dancing around as I wasn't shooting and wasn't even on the firing line :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Jun 2015, 5:46 pm

Well... my new $1200 scope arrived toay. Excitement turns to frustration when the side focus doesn't seem to work! :problem:

It wound out to infinity ok, then i tried winding it back past half way to close focus...... felt sticky, thought, hmm... just a bit tight and kept winding to zero.... now it wont wind back out to infinity and just keeps turning around and around, no stop to it.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
:huh: :huh: :huh:
:problem: :problem: :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Usurper » 18 Jun 2015, 9:51 am

:(

Get onto that ASAP for a replacement.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Jun 2015, 10:36 am

Yeah. It's in the post to the supplier right now.

Disappointing to get a faulty scope but they have been excellent to deal with in sorting it out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Herdsman » 23 Jun 2015, 9:05 am

Finding a place with good service is hard these days.

At least you found somewhere as a result of this :thumbsup:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Walt68 » 25 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm

got a Savage 116 Bear Hunter in .338WM for 1$1600, scope is Burris Eliminator III 4x-16x 50 for $1760.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by pajamatime » 25 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm

maybe one day I might splurge on expensive glass but till then the cheaper glass works perfectly great!
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Jul 2015, 4:14 pm

It depends on the intended use.

I use mid range optics, redfield revolution and revenge).
These have nice clear pictures, good light, simple 4plex reticle and 3-9 zoom. They also have lifetime warranty (they're leuopolds, after all) and sit in the $300-$400 price range.
What they don't habe is built in range finders, tactical turrets, or any other bells or whistles. And you know what? They suit me just fine, as i don't target shoot but hunt in bushy padfocks and wide open paddocks.

I'm not saying that people don't need more or shouldn't buy more, simply that you don't neccessarily need to spend a fortune. I wouldn't want to spend much less, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 26 Jul 2015, 4:34 pm

Good glass is something you keep when upgrading rifle,if you want clarity at distance it will cost.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 26 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm

if you want clarity over 16x at distance it will cost even more .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

deye243 wrote:if you want clarity over 16x at distance it will cost even more .

Clarity at 50x cost $3490 for a S&B PMII 12-50x56 - Absolutely top shelf glass and perfectly suited to >1000m

The March 8-80x56 for $3650-$4200 might be a fraction better but I haven't used one yet.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 26 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm

well no need to go that much my 22x NXS has no problem knocking of a milk jug at 1000
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

deye243 wrote:well no need to go that much my 22x NXS has no problem knocking of a milk jug at 1000

I bought it more for the range of elevation adjustment, 34mm tube and being 1/4CM per click makes for finer adjustments. I've got this scope bolted onto the .375 Cheytac, I don't want to risk my eyebrow bolting it on a 50 with only 70mm of eye relief. Generally I acquire target @12x then adjust zoom till target fills reticule. Most of the other tacticool rifles have either a NXS 8-32x56 / Leupold Mk4 LR/T 8.5-25x56 / Kahles K624i scope fitted. For hunting I use only Leupold VX2 4-12x50 so I have a familiar feel and common reticule across them all so nothing to confuse me.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 26 Jul 2015, 9:44 pm

brett1868 wrote:
deye243 wrote:if you want clarity over 16x at distance it will cost even more .

Clarity at 50x cost $3490 for a S&B PMII 12-50x56 - Absolutely top shelf glass and perfectly suited to >1000m

The March 8-80x56 for $3650-$4200 might be a fraction better but I haven't used one yet.

You have the invite Brett.... ;)

One of these days you can come and check out the optics on three different March Scopes...

Gee, who knows. I might even let you have a shot out of a "small calibre" "Target Rifle" and see if you are up to the task.... :clap: :clap:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics