Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Who has spent as much on glass as their rifle?

Post by Usurper » 18 Jun 2015, 9:51 am

:(

Get onto that ASAP for a replacement.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Jun 2015, 10:36 am

Yeah. It's in the post to the supplier right now.

Disappointing to get a faulty scope but they have been excellent to deal with in sorting it out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Herdsman » 23 Jun 2015, 9:05 am

Finding a place with good service is hard these days.

At least you found somewhere as a result of this :thumbsup:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Walt68 » 25 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm

got a Savage 116 Bear Hunter in .338WM for 1$1600, scope is Burris Eliminator III 4x-16x 50 for $1760.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by pajamatime » 25 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm

maybe one day I might splurge on expensive glass but till then the cheaper glass works perfectly great!
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Jul 2015, 4:14 pm

It depends on the intended use.

I use mid range optics, redfield revolution and revenge).
These have nice clear pictures, good light, simple 4plex reticle and 3-9 zoom. They also have lifetime warranty (they're leuopolds, after all) and sit in the $300-$400 price range.
What they don't habe is built in range finders, tactical turrets, or any other bells or whistles. And you know what? They suit me just fine, as i don't target shoot but hunt in bushy padfocks and wide open paddocks.

I'm not saying that people don't need more or shouldn't buy more, simply that you don't neccessarily need to spend a fortune. I wouldn't want to spend much less, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 26 Jul 2015, 4:34 pm

Good glass is something you keep when upgrading rifle,if you want clarity at distance it will cost.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 26 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm

if you want clarity over 16x at distance it will cost even more .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

deye243 wrote:if you want clarity over 16x at distance it will cost even more .

Clarity at 50x cost $3490 for a S&B PMII 12-50x56 - Absolutely top shelf glass and perfectly suited to >1000m

The March 8-80x56 for $3650-$4200 might be a fraction better but I haven't used one yet.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 26 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm

well no need to go that much my 22x NXS has no problem knocking of a milk jug at 1000
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

deye243 wrote:well no need to go that much my 22x NXS has no problem knocking of a milk jug at 1000

I bought it more for the range of elevation adjustment, 34mm tube and being 1/4CM per click makes for finer adjustments. I've got this scope bolted onto the .375 Cheytac, I don't want to risk my eyebrow bolting it on a 50 with only 70mm of eye relief. Generally I acquire target @12x then adjust zoom till target fills reticule. Most of the other tacticool rifles have either a NXS 8-32x56 / Leupold Mk4 LR/T 8.5-25x56 / Kahles K624i scope fitted. For hunting I use only Leupold VX2 4-12x50 so I have a familiar feel and common reticule across them all so nothing to confuse me.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 26 Jul 2015, 9:44 pm

brett1868 wrote:
deye243 wrote:if you want clarity over 16x at distance it will cost even more .

Clarity at 50x cost $3490 for a S&B PMII 12-50x56 - Absolutely top shelf glass and perfectly suited to >1000m

The March 8-80x56 for $3650-$4200 might be a fraction better but I haven't used one yet.

You have the invite Brett.... ;)

One of these days you can come and check out the optics on three different March Scopes...

Gee, who knows. I might even let you have a shot out of a "small calibre" "Target Rifle" and see if you are up to the task.... :clap: :clap:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by XP22 » 26 Jul 2015, 10:05 pm

headspace wrote:I was a dyed in the wool Leopold man, and before that I loved my Bausch and Lomb 2.5-8. But I've recently gone over to Vortex. You don't need to spend a fortune and the glass is top quality, and I haven't even go to the Razor yet. I have three 4-12 scopes in Vortex, 2 CrossfireII's and one Diamondback. MY sole Leopold is a 3-9x50 on my 308. SO unless you are into super long range target or benchrest, using the premise of matching cost of rifle to cost of scope is crazy. Optics have improved out of sight (no pun) in recent times and will continue to. The fact that more scope company's are offering lifetime warranties should bear this out.
JD

Expensive scopes are nice but I still manage to stay in touch out to 1000 with a cheap weaver and a Leupold. I have to laugh when I see a 500m table jockey with an expensive scope not doing any better than the rest of us. There is a lot more to it than what is sitting on top of the rifle, especially when mirage levels the playing field.

Prize meeting wins and statistice speak louder than cheque books.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Jul 2015, 10:34 pm

Fair call. A reasonably priced scope can work. At the same time, if you have the spare cash for good gear, why not use it? Even if you aren't champion level it's still nice to use good gear if you have the option.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Jul 2015, 10:36 pm

I'll never be, or even want to be class beating comp shooter but if I hade the ready funds, my gear would get upgraded pretty quick.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2015, 11:12 pm

I'm still trying to improve upon 5 shot 5" groups at 1000 so the extra zoom allows me to get a finer view of the target.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2015, 11:17 pm

You have the invite Brett.... ;)

I offered to come down a while back and bring a bottle of your favourite scotch for putting up with me. Was a little cold you said so once it warms up and the days get longer I'll be knocking on your door with a wagon load of big toys, and a bottle or 3 :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 27 Jul 2015, 4:01 am

After September I'm staying home waiting for it to warm up and I can chill out from camping at who knows where competition shoots. Brett, you might be lucky to think about getting home if your legs are still working. At least not from walking as I am a "Table Jockey" .... If only I could walk properly, it would be nice to not be disabled.....!!!! There are many reasons people shoot off a Bench....!!!!!
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 27 Jul 2015, 7:34 am

I have to shoot off a bench otherwise I end up with a face full of dirt and grass. I have a fully sik steel bench made from the side of a combine harvester that sits on 3 legs of 3" steel bore tube. I've made it a "Tacticool" bench by adding cup holders, adjustable bipod stop rail and box for spent brass. The next mod will be a black blanket for the top as the existing grey isn't tacticool enough and I'll upgrade the 20L drum seat from empty to full to improve stability. :lol: :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 27 Jul 2015, 9:41 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I'm not saying that people don't need more or shouldn't buy more, simply that you don't neccessarily need to spend a fortune.

Horses for courses ;)
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 9:46 am

Gwion wrote:Fair call. A reasonably priced scope can work. At the same time, if you have the spare cash for good gear, why not use it? Even if you aren't champion level it's still nice to use good gear if you have the option.

Yep everything has a priority, if an $800 scope will do the job reliably for me I am able to use the money elsewhere

Whilst not a total cheapskate I do like value and my maximum cartridge for target shooting out to 1200m is .308 and I can get by with what I have. I regularly remove the T36 and fit the variable (thank god for zero return mounts)to my main rifle due to mirage.

There is a point where it becomes overkill or an obsession, whilst it is nice to have good gear it often doesn't automatically compensate for other factors. It seems to be a growing trend that people get all wound up and concerned that they must have the latest and greatest or they are wasting their time. In reality they would be better off using what they have and simply competing or going hunting.

As an example I am constantly annoyed by a club member who gives reams of advice every time I see him about what I should be using so I can shoot better but in reality he has been with us for ten years, turns up regularly and shoots but has never fired a shot in competition despite constantly developing loads and changing calibres twice in the past three years and having two setups worth, I would think, in excess of $7000 each."That's nice" gets a frequent workout.

I guess the point I am trying to get to is some people are more in love with the gadgets rather than their purpose and woe betide anyone who has a contrary view, if fiddling floats your boat well and good but don't try and project your world onto my life as it is not for me. I am also sick of hearing "secondhand opinions" just because so and so has or does this why does that make you an expert? Go away and do the same then come and preach to me from a position of authority not on the say so of someone elses experience.

FWIW my most expensive sight (a whim) at nearly $4000 sits on a $1000 tikka wheras the equivalent (and perfectly suitable for a .22) Yukon is around the same price as the Savage but both have a purpose that can't be satisfied by anything else.

Now I would love a march, NF etc etc but the grouser plates on my excavator need attention, then there is the new access bridge, the roof on the shack, the solar battery bank is too small for the frequency we are using it at the moment etc etc etc...................... I need to show some restraint or I will have to get back on the full time work treadmill. If it doesn't contribute to living life is it really value? Only the individual can answer that question and the response really only matters to themself.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

I'm with you, XP22.

AS a youngster i was a competitive cyclist. One mate at the club ended up with the listing of "You Should" in my phone book because it was always, 'you should get this....'

I had a hand me down bikes from an uncle and routinely beat him on his flasher new gear: except on the hill climbs... he could definitely climb a hill and get away if i didn't drop him on the approach.

All i was getting at was that if you have the money spare and want to use good gear, go right ahead. That said, i totally agree that fancier gear doesn't make you an expert.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Seik » 29 Jul 2015, 10:45 am

Gwion wrote:All i was getting at was that if you have the money spare and want to use good gear, go right ahead. That said, i totally agree that fancier gear doesn't make you an expert.

Can hurt peoples fundamentals tool if they just go straight to buying top shelf and miss the learning experience on the way up.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BradZ » 14 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm

Well untill 2 hours ago I didnt have anything to add to this thread but now I do.
$1,000 Tikka T3 22-250 with a $400 Redfield Revolution 4-12×40

Now I have a $1,000 Tikka with a $1,400 Zeiss Conquest 5-25x50mm

Amazing scope though :)
BradZ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gun Nut Gordo » 14 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm

Honestly bang for buck Nikon make the best scopes I've had for hunting purposes, or as some of the other guys say "Set and forget"
They have good clarity, decent coatings and available in a lot of magnifications and reticles.

But yeah if you want a target scope that you're going to fiddle with, or a really powerful rifle that's going to give a scope a hard time get ready to shell out the clams
Gun Nut Gordo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Atter » 19 Aug 2015, 9:38 am

Without going overboard I think spending the most you can on glass is money reasonably well spent.

When you can move them from rifle to rifle they can last a lifetime if cared for.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 19 Aug 2015, 10:54 am

It all boils down to $, how much do you have specifically.

Let me use myself as an example, I have $1500 and I want a .223, so howa stainless thumbhole in .223 $750, ziess t3 4-12x50 $650, 200 ppu .223 $150 and dnz 1 piece $82.22, total $1632.22.

I went over budget and for following week, no eating out, packed breakfast and lunch and no alcohol.

On hindsight, I need to get better with math.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Rippah » 26 Aug 2015, 8:50 am

zobster wrote:I went over budget and for following week, no eating out, packed breakfast and lunch and no alcohol.

On hindsight, I need to get better with math.

Ha ha.

Oh well you can go a week without a few treats, a good setup will last you forever.

Buy once, cry once.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics