Best scope for .30-06

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Best scope for .30-06

Post by Bourt » 30 Jun 2015, 9:47 am

None of the hold over reticles match exactly anyway.

Heavier or lighter pill, faster or slower velocity etc. all change the POI.

It's a guide and can be used for any cartridge, you just need to know what ranges the points represent.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 30 Jun 2015, 3:10 pm

Bourt wrote:None of the hold over reticles match exactly anyway.

Heavier or lighter pill, faster or slower velocity etc. all change the POI.

It's a guide and can be used for any cartridge, you just need to know what ranges the points represent.

Yup.
I have a couple of Vortex scopes with the BDC reticles. Their online ballistics calculator can be used to get a good idea of drops if you plug in accurate data according to your round. I can only guestimate my reloads until i get a chrony or go by pack velocitity with the 22lr. It's a good guide, though, and then i refine it on targets to get to know my actual drops.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SendIt » 02 Jul 2015, 11:19 am

You should be able to work out your muzzle velocity to a reasonable margin of error just shooting at a few ranges and trying a range of velocities in your ballistics calculator to find a match.

Zero for 100, shoot a group at 50, 100, 150, 200 and record the rise/drop over the range.

Put your projectile weight, BC and all the rest in and go through a likely range of velocities. If you know your muzzle velocity is around 2800fps try 2700, 2710, 2720 etc. up until you get a match.

Won't be exact to the foot but will be fine for the purposes of matching to your BDC reticle. And save yourself the expense of buying a chrono if you don't really want one.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Garth » 11 Jan 2017, 7:29 pm

I just put one on my 30.06 will tell you tommoro what went like I love these scopes got one on 223 and 243
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics