Tang sights for High Wall

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Tang sights for High Wall

Post by Mick280 » 20 Jun 2015, 5:08 pm

G'Day Everyone
I recently bought myself a 1885 High-Wall Special Sporting Rifle,45-70 - 32" Barrel.
I initially want to use the gun shooting plates out to about 500 yds and will more than likely sort some hunting loads out for it once I become proficient with it.
I'm looking for some advice on a decent set of tang mounted sights that would cover both applications and that I do not have to take out a mortgage to Aquire.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Tang sights for High Wall

Post by Noisydad » 20 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

That is a nice piece of kit and makes me drool! Soule vernier sights are the only way to go but they aren't cheap. A globe front sight with changable reticle inserts with or without a built in spirit level are also needed though a separate level mounted in the rear dovetail is good too.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 20 Jun 2015, 9:17 pm

image.jpg
Selection of front sight inserts
image.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 4631 times
image.jpg
Mid mounted spirit level.
image.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4631 times
image.jpg
Soule tear sight.
image.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 4631 times
These pics are of the sights and front inserts on my Sharps and are the sort of thing needed on your 1885.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Mick280 » 20 Jun 2015, 11:38 pm

Thanks Mate!
Obviously a lot more to it than I realised,But saying that,I don't want to go into it half cocked so to speak.
Where is the best place to source this kit and what sort of coin am I looking at?
Thanks Again
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 21 Jun 2015, 7:35 am

Great choice in rifle. I love my pedersoli 1885 high wall.

Buffalo arms in the U.S. Has some decent prices and a good range. http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3750
Have bought from them often and have been good to deal with.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 21 Jun 2015, 2:00 pm

Thanks Dude
Mines a Uberti,Haven't shot it yet,Chomping at the bit to get it set up and start working on some loads for it.
Could use some info on loads using 300 g leads as well if anyone has some.
Thanks for the input mate,Will check it out.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 21 Jun 2015, 2:45 pm

For long range target and gong comps most blokes are using 550 gn Postel type cast bullets with as much 3F BP as you can fit in the case with a little compression. Generally this is about 65 gn poured through two foot drop tube. NEI and Cast Bullet Engineering make very good moulds. Here's a lube recipe that I use successfully;
1 part parrafin wax
1 part pure lard
1/2 part bee's wax
I melt it in the micro wave and pan lube the bullets. Lots of internet experts will say to never use any petroleum products in you lube but in BP loads it works. Fouling is soft and I dont use blow pipes. This recipe works in my .44-40 with cast bullets and smokeless powder to.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 21 Jun 2015, 3:31 pm

Will have to give that lube mix a try. I've been using 50:50 olive oil and bees wax which has been pretty good. Using a CBE .470" postel which drops at about 525gr using a 20:1 alloy, a 60 thou vege wad and 65gr of 2F with a light compression.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 21 Jun 2015, 4:23 pm

You guys are talking a wee bit over my pay level here!!!
I'm Just going start out with some Light smokeless loads to start off with,Haven't wandered into the black powder scene as yet but it is on my to do list sooner rather than later.
Checked out the website Dude.Good stuff, Think I will go for a set of the Kelly Soule Sights with the Kelly Globe front sight.
Question:What's the range difference between the Mid and Long range sights. ( Probably sounds like a stupid question,But I'm new to this form of the sport,Got to learn somehow)
Thanks
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 21 Jun 2015, 4:47 pm

http://www.texas-mac.com/Sight_Radius_a ... tings.html Is a good overview, really approximate is 1 point on the vernier is about 1 Moa so if you work out the approx bullet drop at the ranges you'll be shooting you can work out what length site you need. It also depends on highly of the rear sight in relation to the bore. My highwalls 100m setting is 34 points, my fathers trapdoor 100m setting is 50 points

ive got the 4" long range pedersoli sight. My 100 meter setting is 34, 200m is 50. 500 is about 104 so only just using Just over 1" of the sight to get out to 500.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 21 Jun 2015, 5:48 pm

Did a bit more research:
Elevation calibrations are in 1 MOA
27.5 Minutes of Windage each side of zero
Mid Range - 175 Minutes of Elevation
Long Range - 300 Minutes of Elevation
When you order them you have to specify whether the rifle has a straight or pistol grip , So I'm thinking they're taking into account the difference in the mounting positions in relation to the bore
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 21 Jun 2015, 6:38 pm

image.jpg
You'll find a laminated card of sight settings indispensable.
image.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4583 times
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Mick280 » 21 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

I can certainly see the value in having a reference card like that once I am set up.
Am I correct in assuming the vernier setting is the number of points on the sight ?
Are these settings set in stone so to speek with your rifle Noisy Dad or do they vary with conditions ?
Your loads would have to be very consistent I'm guessing!
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 22 Jun 2015, 7:38 am

Yes loads need to be consistent and yes they are the points on the sight. From time to time during a mid range gong shoot we've noticed that we shoot a little lower than the sights say we should be. Dont know if it's light conditions or mirage or holding our tongues the wrong way but you catch on pretty quickly when the spotter keeps telling you "you're windage is perfect but just under the gong", so, you just wind the sight up a bit until you hear the clang.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Mick280 » 22 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

A bit of trial and error , Sounds like fun!!
Do you think the Kelly sights are a decent enough piece of kit?
Had a close look at them,They look to be well engineered !
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jun 2015, 11:29 am

Noisydad wrote:From time to time during a mid range gong shoot we've noticed that we shoot a little lower than the sights say we should be.

Your rifles are notorious for shooting low.

I was dead on the bullseye when I destroyed your target frame :mrgreen:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics