Weaver rail for Lithgow LA101

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Weaver rail for Lithgow LA101

Post by 5Tom » 23 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm

G'day all,
Finally put a scope on my Lithgow and found my eye-relief to be out. The scope needs to shift towards the rear at least .5 to 1 inch and I've already shifted the scope as far back as it can, plus removed the two extra spacers in the recoil pad. Length of pull is a bit short but eye-relief is better.

Does any one know of a replacement weaver rail that runs the full length of the receiver and screws directly into the receiver?

My other option is buying sloped scope rings and use the existing weaver setup and hope to have length of pull back to standard.

Thoughts?
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Weaver rail for Lithgow LA101

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jul 2015, 7:48 am

A picture would help, difficult to visualise the issue based on text only. Put the spacers back in the stock, shoulder the rifle, measure distance from eye to scope and let us know the number (6-10cm is about right depending on scope). What make and model scope do you have? Can't say I've ever had issues with setting initial eye relief with scopes.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 26 Jul 2015, 11:53 pm

sorry, it's a Nikko-Sterling 3-9x40 that came for cheap when I bought the JW15 years ago.

Basically I tried to shift the scope as rearward as possible (closer to my natural head position) and I still need to shift it almost an inch more. Otherwise I need to move my head forward which feel very unnatural.

Would have been nicer if Lithgow fitted a full length rail over the receiver rather than two short weaver bases with a single slot.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wheedle » 27 Jul 2015, 10:17 am

I haven't used the scope specifically but at 3-9 a normal Nikko shouldn't be much of a challenge to get the eye relief workable as there should be a bit of it.

Two questions...

When setting this do you have the stop set to 3 or 9?

You got glasses or any eye issues? Not trying to pry but doesn't seem like it should be an issue really.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 27 Jul 2015, 7:46 pm

No eye problems, I had the scope fitted on my previous rifle and it was fine. The difference being a different rifle with weaver bases that is in a set position.

I ended up visiting the LGS with my issue and I ended up buying some off-set rings which helped shift the scope futher as well as raise the height to a more natural and comfortable position. Was hoping to spend much less than I did but all is good now.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 29 Jul 2015, 11:08 am

5Tom wrote:Was hoping to spend much less than I did but all is good now.

Better to have it right then save a few buts and put up with it being off forever though.

At least it's sorted :)
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Scopes, sights and optics