YUKON PULSAR DIGISIGHT N550A

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

YUKON PULSAR DIGISIGHT N550A

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Aug 2015, 2:33 pm

Anyone got one of these?

Any good?

Pro's and Con's?

Even if you dont have it, i'm interested to know what you know about them? (i dont know much about NV)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: YUKON PULSAR DIGISIGHT N550A

Post by Radagast » 24 Aug 2015, 10:56 pm

Old tech. Replaced by the N750A, then the N770 and now the 870. Works best with an external IR illuminator.
I would find the extra cash for the 750 if buying new.

Digital night vision requires Infra Red light and a digital camera sensor, basically you spotlighting with an IR torch, filming and watching the screen. There can be a slight lag, which means running shots can be problematic.
Military night vision uses a different system, an image intensifier tube, where a photon of light entering the tube causes an electron cascade of 20,000 or more, which excites the screen. No IR is required with a good system, just starlight.
So military NV is covert, while digital will have a slight red glow from the IR torch. Military level tubed NV is also very expensive, generally three times the price of digital. Digital is fine for hunting in OZ, foxes don't shoot back.

The best youtube resources on digital are Marky & Roland:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Marky610/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/RolaidsBench/videos

The best internet resource is www.nightvisionforumuk.com where the home builders and modders hang out.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 24 Aug 2015, 11:03 pm

You can get used old school Gen II image intensifier scopes for $500 to $1000. With 25mm tubes, the resolution is 39% higher than what is on the label.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Radagast » 25 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

Due to ITAR restrictions, those are not readily available here. New Russian Gen 2 starts around $3700. Gen 3 is a lot more.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 25 Aug 2015, 9:04 am

ended up getting a second hand 770A. it works a treat and weather permitting is going out to the farm this weekend ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 25 Aug 2015, 9:52 am

Radagast wrote:Due to ITAR restrictions...

Bloody ITAR...

Why do I get the feeling the US has this in place just for their ego so they can feel like macho men with the best toys?
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 25 Aug 2015, 10:43 am

Radagast wrote:Due to ITAR restrictions, those are not readily available here. New Russian Gen 2 starts around $3700. Gen 3 is a lot more.

I doubt ITAR restricts Gen II to Australia, but I could be wrong. It is based on the status of your country and a term called, "figure of merit." FOM = photoresponse x resolution. Regardless, Europe puts out Gen II like it is going out of style. And sell superior tubes to us in the US for $500.

But if Russian Gen II really does start at $3700 down under, then I am obviously missing a piece of the puzzle.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Radagast » 25 Aug 2015, 9:56 pm

Gen III is restricted.
IIRC US export restriction forGen II requires FOM below 1250, so the tube must have a data sheet. Russian export restrictions require sensitivity below 350. ATN & Armasight have 'ready to export' units, but the quality is low to meet the above requirements. Photonis tubes can be had here, but they are very expensive.
FWIW a Dedal 740 with a US Gen 2 milspec tube is $4950 AUD. A Pulsar Phantom is $3900 and an ATN Ares is $4000. An N870 Digisight is $2000.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 26 Aug 2015, 10:56 am

Vati wrote:Why do I get the feeling the US has this in place just for their ego so they can feel like macho men with the best toys?

I've had the same feeling before that things have been driven in large part by national pride (ego).
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Redwood » 27 Aug 2015, 2:30 pm

The nationalists just need to Google for a few 'Merica pictures to see what some of their more stupid countrymen are up to.

That should level the opinion a bit :lol:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics