Ballistic Type Turrets

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Ballistic Type Turrets

Post by Tassieshooter » 10 Aug 2015, 8:58 pm

Hi All

New member here, current have a CZ 452 American in .22 and a Ruger M77 MKII in .308, with plans to pick up a .223 as my next buy.

What I'm looking for is some info, I've seen on YouTube a little lately some scopes with what they call a ballistic turret, zeroed for a certain distance and the elevation turret simply able Ito have the distance dialled in and then on target rather than moving up in MoA clicks?

I'm a scope newbie, where would one look for one of these? Do the turrets only come on certain types or scope or fit many types?

Thanks for the advice
Tassieshooter
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Ballistic Type Turrets

Post by Harts » 18 Aug 2015, 2:32 pm

Tassieshooter wrote:What I'm looking for is some info, I've seen on YouTube a little lately some scopes with what they call a ballistic turret, zeroed for a certain distance and the elevation turret simply able Ito have the distance dialled in and then on target rather than moving up in MoA clicks?

Yes and no. Lots of no's actually :lol:

There are a couple of options. You could have seen someone with custom made turrets to match their rifle/load. Or printed labels around the turrets or there are some scopes like the Swarovski Optik Ballistic Turret that are adjustable and you assemble the turret the match certain distances.

The catch is whatever option you go it only matches one rifle with one load. If you put it on another rifle or use a different cartridge the distances will be incorrect.

Here are some examples based on .223 hand loads for you (using ADI reloading data and 2208 powder).

55gr bullet with a starting load has a velocity of 3,000 fps. So say you work out your label clicks for that and all your distances match.

Shoot the same 55gr bullet with the max load the velocity is 3,130 fps which will drop less and impact higher than your ballistics say for the lighter load.

Shoot 35gr bullets up to 3,780fps they'll drop way less over moderate distance.

Shoot 90gr bullets at only 2,447 fps and they'll drop a lot more below where your ballistics say for the 55gr starting load you matched.

Put it on a different rifle with a different length barrel and it will either be higher or lower depending on the barrel too.

Get what I'm saying?
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RDobber » 18 Aug 2015, 2:45 pm

All the above is right.

As well as that shooting same weight bullets with different ballistics will change the POI.

Same bullets different powders.

Light bullets also fly out of the barrel due to the light weight but lose their puff quickly and drop faster towards the end where heavier bullets have a bit more of a regular arc.

Instead of the fancy turrets you can always just do a little print out and have a couple of sheets to refer to for whatever load you're shooting. That way you're not stuck with one load or with turrets that don't match a lot.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 18 Aug 2015, 11:56 pm

I can't recall the manufacturer but I know there's as least one that's offering a scope calibrated to a particular calibre. Essentially you just dial the range on the turret and theoretically you should be on target. The theory unfortunately does not support reality unless you're using the exact same ammo from the same batch as the scope's calibrated for. Find yourself a load that's accurate for your rifle, zero it at 100m then shoot it out to 125, 150, 175 & 200 but don't adjust the elevation. Measure the drop from zero for each range then you can apply a little math to work out the clicks required. You should only need to do this once per different load used. Ballistic calculators give a fair indication but even then they results should be verified by actual shooting.

Found a link to one manufacturer offering multiple turrets for 223 based on projectile weight
http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=46
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Aug 2015, 1:25 pm

Found even better information....NIOA / Leupold can build you a custom ballistic compensated turret if you have the coins. Several others offer similar type reticules, Eotech 552 Holographic sight is set up for 223. It seems a good idea and I understand the need for a simple stupid approach for the military as I assume their ammo is pretty much the same load across thousands of rounds but for the hunter who likes to use several different loads I don't see the value in it.

http://www.nioa.com.au/nioa-tv/ultimate-gun-aus.html
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 20 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm

the carl ziess rz8 ballistics turret calculator let you input the cartridge you are shooting and lets you know you POI at different range based on your zero, magnification, sight height etc.

http://ballistic-calculator.zeiss.com/ballistic
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tonit » 24 Aug 2015, 2:43 pm

brett1868 wrote:The theory unfortunately does not support reality unless you're using the exact same ammo from the same batch as the scope's calibrated for.

Which is prolly like 1 out of 500 shooters using any given scope :lol:
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

As Brett said I reckon it's just easier to start at 100m and work out the drops at diff distance - print them out on a drop chart and either stick that to the butt of the rifle or have it laminated and carry it with you to refer to when needed. :thumbsup:

Simple/efficient and didn't cost SFA to do and you can change it when and if you change your ammo down the track.

I do like the Swaro turret setup but not interested in paying a fortune for something like that when I can get similar results for peanuts. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Arth » 25 Aug 2015, 9:27 am

Agree with the above.

A couple of targets at different ranges, pen and paper, will do the same probably more accurately than most turret systems for no extra cost ;)
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Utcherd » 22 Sep 2015, 1:12 pm

The tall turrets are more prone to breaking too, more stress on them if they get a knock.
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by la101 » 18 Jan 2016, 7:30 pm

I have bought istrelok for iPhone. It has a ton of scope reticle options and you input your load data and it generates how many clicks are required for what ever distance you need in Moa or mil. It is awesome and only $7 odd dollars.
la101
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 20 Jan 2016, 2:14 pm

I've been toying with the free version of that.

Looks like one of the better ones.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics