Going Thermal

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Going Thermal

Post by Title_II » 25 Oct 2015, 6:57 am

Hey :(

What happened?

I think he should pass on the scope to somebody that will use it and post video!!! :D

Complains about waiting a damn year and now he's going to wait a damn year on his own...
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Oct 2015, 6:06 pm

I was recently very VERY tempted to purchase an atn x-sight. Not thermal but looks the goods. I'm still quite tempted, but probably couldn't justify it with the amount i'm able to get out and shoot atm
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 25 Oct 2015, 9:48 pm

I have an ATN Gen II scope from the 1990s with a fat 25mm tube (39% more resolution for same line pair resolution rating). It looks like it was made in Spotsylvania but it works great :D My top goggle is late US contract thin-film Gen III.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Deco » 26 Oct 2015, 9:21 am

Spotsylvania :lol:
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 26 Oct 2015, 9:38 am

It's got spots all over the phosphor screen but it works great for a 1990s scope :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rakk » 26 Oct 2015, 2:42 pm

Does the noise hurt the definition of your target at all or is that always clearly defined regardless?
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Title_II » 26 Oct 2015, 10:48 pm

Rakk wrote:Does the noise hurt the definition of your target at all or is that always clearly defined regardless?

Not sure if asking me. The Signal to Noise ratio of my scope seems good. Image is clear.at fairly dark light levels. If you mean the spots, they are manufacturing artifacts. Just black spots on the screen. Most NV has some noticeable spot(s), usually very few and quite small. There are mil specs for size, number, and location of acceptable spots. The tube of my scope just happens to be riddled with them. Probably shouldn't have left the factory. If I bought it new I would have been pissed, but I paid like $600 for it and it works great.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 26 Oct 2015, 11:22 pm

Title_II wrote:Hey :(

What happened?

I think he should pass on the scope to somebody that will use it and post video!!! :D

Complains about waiting a damn year and now he's going to wait a damn year on his own...

Last trip bush I made a heap of video but nothing with actual targets in it therefore very boring and not worth the time to edit it. I'm heading bush again Thursday for a quick overnighter to attend the funeral of my cousins wife who passed away last week. Whilst it'll be poor taste to go out shooting, I will take the thermal and go for a walk up the back paddock and see how many Roo's I can spot. I also recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the program I used for editing no longer works so I'll have to get that sorted as well.

Hopefully this coming weekend will see something cool posted on YouTube :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 26 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I was recently very VERY tempted to purchase an atn x-sight. Not thermal but looks the goods. I'm still quite tempted, but probably couldn't justify it with the amount i'm able to get out and shoot atm

DON'T !!! I had one and sent it back for a refund. Very flawed product and useless support, buy the Pulsar Digisight if you want digital night vision as they are a far better quality product. Yes, ATN are cheap but if they don't work then they're not so cheap and it's better to pay a bit more for something that works.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Oct 2015, 12:34 am

Cheers for the heads up, Brett, you may have just saved me a wad of cash
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 27 Oct 2015, 3:15 am

Don't get digital IMO.

Bret, prayers sent for your family.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sarki » 28 Oct 2015, 2:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:I also recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the program I used for editing no longer works so I'll have to get that sorted as well.

I've had the reminder to download the free upgrade for a while now, put it off so far because of this.

A significant number of programs not caught up yet from what I read online.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics