Ya just can't win these days.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Ya just can't win these days.

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Sep 2015, 1:05 am

Approximately 12 months ago I saved up and bought a quality night vision outfit (from England) for feral shooting.
Then I decided to buy a camera, to get some video footage from it. :thumbsup:

So thinking that I would go about this properly, I emailed the company and asked their advice.
They replied saying that I would need to purchase their cable kit to join their night vision equipment to the video camera. :thumbsup:

I then asked for their recommendation as to what camera to buy, and soon I received their recommended brand of camera.
Then I set about looking for that brand camera.
I found one (new) that was on "Sale price".

Rather than just jumping in, I emailed the model number to them in England, and asked if that would be compatible. :thumbsup:

I received their reply saying YES, it is compatible.

So then I purchased the camera, and ordered their cable kit.
The cable kit cost me $60.50 AUD
I had to wait a month for the cable kit to arrive from England.

Recently it turned up, and guess what ??????
It had a snow flakes chance in hell of fitting the camera. Completely the wrong fittings on the camera end of the cable. :thumbsdown:

I emailed the company and spelt out the problem,, complete with photos of the camera and their cable.
Two days later, I get their reply that basically said, "Your camera is not compatible, and we suggest you get another." :shock:

I replied, reminding them that I had purchased it on their recommendations, and that I was far far from happy. :x

Its been over a week now, and I have not been afforded the courtesy of a reply nor an explanation.

If I could name and shame them I would.

However, for any-one else thinking of doing camera work like this, be very wary.

Or is this the way to run a successful and client happy business. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Ya just can't win these days.

Post by aaronjo » 07 Sep 2015, 9:14 am

Well considering that you have the whole conversation in email I cannot see how they are gonna dodge you.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2015, 9:41 am

aaronjo wrote:Well considering that you have the whole conversation in email I cannot see how they are gonna dodge you.

I can, they can just ignore him like they are now. :thumbsdown: but I personally wouldn't let it rest there, I'd look at other means of communicating with them or a head office if there is one. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 9:50 am

You can probably get some sort of adapter. Don't go looking for a new camera until you use your noodle a bit.

Matter of fact, the chances you can get some sort of adapter are nearly 100%. Even if the signal is different and not mainstream (highly unlikely), you could get an active adapter.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

Title_II wrote:You can probably get some sort of adapter. Don't go looking for a new camera until you use your noodle a bit.

Matter of fact, the chances you can get some sort of adapter are nearly 100%. Even if the signal is different and not mainstream (highly unlikely), you could get an active adapter.

Good Idea :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Sep 2015, 12:56 pm

Title_II wrote:You can probably get some sort of adapter. Don't go looking for a new camera until you use your noodle a bit.

Hi Title,
Two points here,,,,,
1) Their cable kit includes "an adaptor" (which doesn't fit anyway), so your idea is to buy another adaptor for an adaptor ? :)

2) They are saying (in their last email) that the camera is just not compatible. Even tho they said it was compatible to start with. :wtf:

I tend to think that Big Fellah has hit the nail on the head, in that they will continue to ignore me.
I do believe that where my emails are going to is in fact,,, their Head Office.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2015, 2:22 pm

Maybe a camera shop might be able to help with an adapter mate, worth a shot before going out and buying another camera.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

Bad luck there, mate!

You could call them... harder to ignore someone on the phone.

Another option is to ask the place you bought the camera from if they would do a return and credit for a suitable/compatible camera. Some wont play that game but many retailers worth their salt will, as long as the camera is in new condition with all packaging and documents.

Good luck. I hope you sort it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

On a slightly different subject but still related to "buyer beware". I wanted to buy a decent bow shackle recently ( 3.2 ton ) for my 4wd. Prices fluctuated wildly. From $8 up to $25.50 for identical item. Unbelievable. The guy selling the $25.50 item must be electroplater and coated it with the good old kryptonite for extra strength. :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 07 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Hi Title,
Two points here,,,,,
1) Their cable kit includes "an adaptor" (which doesn't fit anyway), so your idea is to buy another adaptor for an adaptor ? :)

2) They are saying (in their last email) that the camera is just not compatible. Even tho they said it was compatible to start with. :wtf:

I tend to think that Big Fellah has hit the nail on the head, in that they will continue to ignore me.
I do believe that where my emails are going to is in fact,,, their Head Office.

No offense, but there's probably no black magic involved ;) What type of signal does the scope put out? What kind of signal does the camera use as input? Once you have those two you can try to find an adapter and/or signal converter (if nec) to get the signal into the camera. You might be able to find something at New Egg, perhaps some plug converters at Mouser.

You may not need to use the scope adapter at all. Bigfella has a good idea about trying a camera shop but I think you should get the basics of your problem figured out first, perhaps you can find something online.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Farmjer » 08 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I emailed the company and spelt out the problem,, complete with photos of the camera and their cable.
Two days later, I get their reply that basically said, "Your camera is not compatible, and we suggest you get another." :shock:

Bastards :thumbsdown:

I'm having a battle over the car at the moment. It's too easy for businesses to just ignore and delay you into going away.

Keep up the good fight :friends:
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 08 Sep 2015, 4:11 pm

PM me a pic of the connector coming outta the scope and the one going into the camera and I'll see if I can make you a cable. Quite probably it's 1/8 headphone to RCA male that's required. I've had to make heaps of cables for my other hobby and generally have most plugs and cables in my collection.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Sep 2015, 5:53 pm

Have tou had a yarn yo Dick Smith or JB-HiFi, might be able to shed light on the problem.

Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Skadoo » 10 Sep 2015, 11:01 am

brett1868 wrote:I've had to make heaps of cables for my other hobby and generally have most plugs and cables in my collection.

Is that tying yourself down for shooting the big guns :sarcasm:
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics