Bushnell Scopes ?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell Scopes ?

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Sep 2015, 12:07 am

I now have the dubious honor of owning two Bushnell scopes.
First one was secondhand on a firearm I bought,, and is a 3-9 x 56 EGR

Second one is a Bushnell Dusk & Dawn, bought new recently for a .22 rf

All others that I own are Leupold or better.
I have now formed the opinion that,, NEVER again.
For instance, I put the battery into the new one, sighted it in, turned it off and put it away.
A week later I got it out to use again, and the reticle wont light up.
The second hand one I got will only light up in red, but the green wont work.
On both scopes, the click adjustment is not crisp or decisive, and is actually quite mushy by feel.

I find the quality of the Bushnells in general is pretty damn crappy, :thumbsdown:

What are the views of others ? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Bushnell Scopes ?

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Sep 2015, 12:13 am

Curiosity got the better of me a while ago and i bought a cheap scope off ebay (just because it was so cheap it was ridiculous, so it would have been one hell of a bargain or not much lost). It wasn't much chop so it's sitting idle in a cabinet.

It's marked as a Bushnell, but I assumed it was a cheap knock off.

From what you're saying above, maybe its not a knock off...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 18 Sep 2015, 2:01 am

i have a bushnell banner 3-9x32 on my 870 it is a rifel scope on a slug gun have had it on it for 20 years.
i have never had a lighted scope
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Sep 2015, 9:28 am

I don't like electronics in scopes, just something else to breakdown when you least need it too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 23 Sep 2015, 9:42 am

I can't speak for the lower ranges but I have the Elite 6500 4.5-30x and can't speak highly enough of it.

Clarity, build quality etc. all great. Has survived a few drops onto rough ground without incident. They're about $900 so not a fortune and as good as , if not better than others which cost more. I have a few mates who have the same, or have the 6500 in the ‎2.5-16x variant and all have been good.

Maybe avoid the electronics if possible?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Radagast » 26 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

The Elites are made in Japan, the cheaper scopes in China or the Philippines.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Sep 2015, 8:15 pm

Actually, I've got a Bushnell Banner 3-9X Ill on a .243 and goes well. Holds zero and for early morning and dusk the red or green X hairs work really well.
cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 27 Sep 2015, 8:21 pm

I bought a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x40 in 1981 for my Tikka M55 .222 and its still on it and I can still put a 40gn HP through a foxes eye at 100 plus yards.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 01 Oct 2015, 9:06 am

Noisydad wrote:I bought a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x40 in 1981 for my Tikka M55 .222 and its still on it and I can still put a 40gn HP through a foxes eye at 100 plus yards.

I don't know the history of Bushnell but I wonder what's changed since 1981?

I'm sure we all know examples of "don't make 'em like they used to" with the old stuff by far being the best.

Except for their top shelf line, perhaps older far better than newer?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 15 Nov 2015, 1:57 pm

I have a Bushnell Trophy XTR on my CZ550 in 9.3x62. It came with the rifle when I bought it on used guns. It hasn't shifted or fallen apart, or any of the things I was told would happen. It has an illuminated reticle too, but I don't use it much. It's a 1-4x24 and is brighter than the last Leopold I owned, the 30mm tube may have something to do with that.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 15 Nov 2015, 3:04 pm

Nothing wrong with the three Bushnell scopes I currently own not the two I used to own but I did stay away from the cheap ranges you've had trouble with.

IMHO you can't buy $200 scopes then complain about the quality. That said I've got an Eotech scope that notoriously eats batteries in storage :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 15 Nov 2015, 3:13 pm

Have a look and see where they are made. If it says "Made In China" then I for one wouldn't give you 5 cents for it, no matter what it was. I also would not expect it to last 5 minutes after you brought it home from the shop or opened the box.

You get what you pay for, but, "Made In China" you just paid for the Box.

I have had a number of Bushnell Scopes but unfortunately they are all the more expensive and higher quality line Elite and I would not buy a Banner or similiar quality.

Saying that, I have never had a problem with any scope in any respect and I am sure I know why....quality.

If I wanted a cheap scope to put on a rifle that gets abused then I would look for an old "Made In Japan" scope of any brand and know it would probably outlast the rifle.

BTW...I'm trying to think of the cheapest scope I purchased and think that was probably a Zeiss Conquest (Made in Mexico, Japanese Glass, Assembled in USA) then the latest cheap scope to replace the Conquest was a Zeiss Terra (Made In Japan)....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 15 Nov 2015, 10:21 pm

Have had a 1.5-4.5 on the cz 22 for 7 years now and although it's not as clear as anything more expensive it still does a good enough job not to worry about replacing it.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

I love my Nikon 3-9x50 Prostaff (made in the Philippines) it's clear, sharp, good turrets etc, seems to hold zero fine so far - I got it with the rifle I purchased and it's been a fantastic scope really, I've compared it to my Zeiss, Leupolds and Swaro glass and there's SFA in it really, even my mate who runs only high end scopes said the same thing, bloody brilliant for the $$$.

I've been out on last light 8.25pm and headshot a bunnie at 300m so they work well in the low/poor light too, I can't say all the Nikon range is like that as I haven't really used anything other than the 3-9 and the 4-12x40 Nikon (which is slightly eye position sensitive but not too bad to be honest) but that little 3-9 has been a real eye opener for me considering the $$ they cost, they work well under the light too which is important to me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 16 Nov 2015, 6:06 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Usurper » 18 Nov 2015, 9:01 am

I've used the Elite and Banner, basically top and bottom of their line and their exactly that. Top and really the bottom.

Elite was good, especially for the price when compared to other similar level scopes which are 50% - 100% more $ and hardly better if at all.

Banner was trash.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 19 Nov 2015, 9:28 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by melanie » 19 Nov 2015, 10:29 am

Good to know.

I want a cheap little .22lr for rabbits soon and was looking at the Banner but I will cross that one off the list.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 20 Nov 2015, 3:24 am

wright them a letter and let them no and see if they can repair or replace they might work with you
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Hercl » 20 Nov 2015, 1:48 pm

I was going to say at least Bushnell has a lifetime warranty, but wouldn't you know it

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Since 1984, the majority of our Bushnell sports optics products have been covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Outdoor Products guarantees these products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians. Click here for Repair Services.

LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
Binoculars (excludes ImageView Binoculars)
Riflescopes (excludes Riflescopes with illuminated reticles and Red Dot sights)

:x
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 08 Dec 2015, 4:17 pm

I buy every old bushnell I can find. The 70/80,s vintage were jap made, steel tubed and very strong. I usually pay next to nothing for them because they aren,t a Leupold or tactical but I think they are great. I have a 4 x Wide angle on a 308 lever and I haven't needed to change a zero since 1983. If my rifle ever fails I could take it off and beat things to death with it. I picked up a 1.5 -4 power a week ago and it is clear ,strong and beautifully old school. The old ones are a good thing.
Deano
Last edited by deanp100 on 15 Dec 2015, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Spooner » 15 Dec 2015, 8:12 am

A 22 year zero aint bad ;)
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Gwion » 15 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

32 year; even better.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lyam » 04 Jan 2016, 12:12 pm

Spooner wrote:A 22 year zero aint bad ;)

Just your math :lol:
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 04 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm

If you can get the Bushnells made in Japan, they do tend to be a lot better quality all around then the junk they produce in indonesia and the philippines.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by happyhunter » 06 Jan 2016, 3:54 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Jan 2016, 1:24 am

I tend to agree with happyhunter, I have several old Japanese made Bushnell which have given decades of great service. I also have 2 American made Elite,(former Bausch & Lomb) which are as good as the Leupold I replaced with them.for clarity and eye relief. Elites have all been made in Japan since 2004. Look for where they were made and buy accordingly, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 08 Jan 2016, 1:08 pm

Lyam wrote:Just your math :lol:

Math, it's not rocket surgery :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

I now have 4 elites a 6-24x50 (ET6245FG) a 5-15x40 (ET5154) and 2 3-9x40 one is a E3940 (elite) and one is 353940 (3500 elite) I don't know the difference between the last 2 but the appear to be identical other than a few different markings and badges on the scopes.
Happy with bushnell scopes.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 13 Jan 2016, 9:42 am

Probably just an alteration of the same design.

Replacing one minor component with a stronger one or something along those lines to resolve a minor issue discovered after release.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics