Rifle Scope Store vs Optic Zone - shipping to Oz

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Rifle Scope Store vs Optic Zone - shipping to Oz

Post by Flyer » 29 Sep 2015, 7:33 am

Sent off two emails last week: one to The Rifle Scope Store and the other to The Optic Zone, which both ship scopes to Australia.

Nikon has a lot of scopes on sale right now and they are dirt cheap in the US. I was interested in the ProStaff 5 3.5-14x40mm BDC, which Nikon now lists as $250, down from $300.

The Optic Zone had them listed for $300 and when I enquired if they could match the new price, I got an email stating: "Sorry, unfortunately we can not match that price at this time."

But here's the kicker: the day after I emailed, they INCREASED the price by $60 on their site to $360!!! http://theopticzone.com/products-page/r ... bdc-matte/

So what did The Rifle Scope Store do when asked the same question (same original list price for $300)? Not only did I get a response within a few hours, Scott went right ahead and proceeded to drop the price on all his Nikon scopes to the new sales prices.

Needless to say, I now have one of these in the mail for $110 less than the other mob: http://www.theriflescopestore.com/ni67pr53mabd.html

And I know exactly which company I will be recommending in future to anyone who wants to ship a scope from the US to Oz. :mrgreen:
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Re: Rifle Scope Store vs Optic Zone - shipping to Oz

Post by Sam45 » 29 Sep 2015, 3:09 pm

Nice effort :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

They are shipping to Australia from the USA?

I was blocked from a few places.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 29 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm

Check this link: http://www.theriflescopestore.com/shtoau.html

I don't want to sound like I spruik for this company - I only recently found them online - but not only did they respond quickly and drop their price when asked, but they shipped the same day I put my order in. Too early to give a full report until the scope arrives, but if it arrives without any issues, I won't hesitate to order from them again.

For Leupold and Bushnell scopes from the US, these guys also provide good service - and you can pay in A$: http://bonzerimports.com/
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Sep 2015, 7:14 pm

Awesome thanks for the link! :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 01 Oct 2015, 2:03 pm

Wylie27 wrote:They are shipping to Australia from the USA?

I was blocked from a few places.

For scopes or other firearms items?

Scopes aren't restricted by their ITAR laws I'm 99% sure.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Flyer » 01 Oct 2015, 2:53 pm

The problem is some optics companies (including camera companies) impose restrictions on where their products can be sold to protect local (including Australian) retailers. Every wondered why most products in the US are so cheap compared to here? It's all down to economies of scale and protectionist import policies.

To be fair to local dealers, they can't buy in the same quantities as their US counterparts, so don't have the same purchasing power to negotiate discounts from manufacturers. Same goes for shipping costs, even though in many cases the port of manufacture (Asia) is closer to Australia than the US. Aussie consumers get stung because we're the little guys.

What's changed is the internet: though when you realise that the scope you have just bought was produced in, say, Japan or the Philippines, was first shipped to the US, then shipped on to Australia - passing through a number of middle-men on the way - and still lands cheaper on our shores than what local retailers can match, you've got to question if the whole "economies of scale" is just an excuse to rort Aussie consumers . . .
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by chacka » 05 Oct 2015, 9:42 am

Flyer wrote:Every wondered why most products in the US are so cheap compared to here? It's all down to economies of scale and protectionist import policies.

Cause they don't get boned on duty and shipping :thumbsdown:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Flyer » 07 Oct 2015, 2:38 pm

The scope arrived today and it's a beauty! The BDC reticle cross-hairs are a little on the thick side for target work, but the glass itself is very clear and bright, even at maximum magnification. The scope feels very well built and although quite long (34.5cm) it's quite light at 480g. The 3-5-14x range coupled with the BDC circles and slighty thicker cross-hairs should be good for silhouettes and/or hunting. I was originally going to put it on the .22/.17hmr, but I reckon it would better suit the .223.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by inventurkey » 09 Oct 2015, 9:08 am

Flyer wrote:I was originally going to put it on the .22/.17hmr, but I reckon it would better suit the .223.

Makes sense, the holdover points go out to 500m or something I thought?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Flyer » 09 Oct 2015, 9:44 am

Up to 600m according to Nikon's software: http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spot ... on.html#:4

Still tempted to put it on the .22/17hmr. The .223 is one of these (CZ527FS) and I'm not sure if the 4.5-14x40 will clear the rear sight unless I sit it up high. The scope has 4" of eye relief, so might sit too far back. Have to wait until the rifle comes home (currently waiting on permit) until I can test fit it to see. The 527 currently has a Leupold VX1 3-9x40, which only just fits. The Nikon is 1" longer than the Leupold.

Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Wes » 14 Oct 2015, 9:50 am

The rear sight is adjustable right?

You can't slide it out when you want to use the scope and vice versa?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sarki » 14 Oct 2015, 10:34 am

Now that is a great looking rifle!
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 14 Oct 2015, 2:04 pm

Wobble wrote:Scopes aren't restricted by their ITAR laws I'm 99% sure.

ITAR..... :roll:

When are they going to scrap that *(&(*^ thing.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Usurper » 20 Oct 2015, 7:51 am

Supporter wrote:ITAR..... :roll:

When are they going to scrap that *(&(*^ thing.

It's got the word 'terrorism' in there so never...
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 21 Oct 2015, 6:01 pm

I believe the rear sight can be punched out to make more room, but I'd rather leave it original if I can. Still waiting on permit (blah, blah), bit I reckon a smaller scope would suit the 527FS anyway. I have a nice Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 EFR that would fit, I'm sure, but I kinda wanted to save that for the .22. It also doesn't have much eye relief for a .223 (3.1-3.4"). Leupold also make a nice XV-2 4-12x40 AO that's a bit shorter than the VX-1 3-9x40 and has a lot of eye relief (3.7-4.9").

Shame about the Nikon, as it's a good scope for the money: it's easily as clear as the Leupolds, has fixed eye relief and a really nice eye box. My only criticism is the crosshairs on the BDC model are a little thick and it's a little bulky. This is pretty much what it looks like (not my rifles, BTW):

Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Xerox » 22 Oct 2015, 11:03 am

Flyer wrote:I believe the rear sight can be punched out to make more room, but I'd rather leave it original if I can.

Bit of a pain but I suppose you could always swap it out and make sure you don't lose the factory one.

If you come to sell it in future swap back to factory one to protect the resale.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Oct 2015, 2:31 pm

Flyer wrote:The problem is some optics companies (including camera companies) impose restrictions on where their products can be sold to protect local (including Australian) retailers. Every wondered why most products in the US are so cheap compared to here? It's all down to economies of scale and protectionist import policies.

To be fair to local dealers, they can't buy in the same quantities as their US counterparts, so don't have the same purchasing power to negotiate discounts from manufacturers. Same goes for shipping costs, even though in many cases the port of manufacture (Asia) is closer to Australia than the US. Aussie consumers get stung because we're the little guys.

What's changed is the internet: though when you realise that the scope you have just bought was produced in, say, Japan or the Philippines, was first shipped to the US, then shipped on to Australia - passing through a number of middle-men on the way - and still lands cheaper on our shores than what local retailers can match, you've got to question if the whole "economies of scale" is just an excuse to rort Aussie consumers . . .

Quite true but also, in Australia we have a distribution system that works like 1/ Asian Representative - 2/ Australian Importer - 3/ State Distributor and sales rep. Now they all add on their mark up ( fair enough, everyone has to make a quid) BUT the end consumer is paying through the nose for it! The whole system needs a shake up..
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by huccl » 26 Oct 2015, 11:04 am

Yeah everyone needs to make a living but we could do with a few less pointless middle men (or at least options to chose routes with less middle men).
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics