Meopta scope opnions?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Meopta scope opnions?

Post by saucy » 30 Oct 2013, 11:18 am

Hi folks,

I'm after some opinions on the Meopta scopes.

I'm looking for something in a 3-9 or 4-12 area and have about $600 to spend on the scope.

I was set on a Leupold only because I have an old one and was familiar with it. The bloke at my LGS was a big advocate of Meopta though.

Seemed genuine, not just trying to sell the one with the most profit, but I'd like some feedback from fellow shooters.

Thanks.
Sako L46 222 Remington
Savage 112 300 Winchester Magnum
Winchester 1886 45-70 (Goes here when I win the lottery :( )
saucy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Meopta scope opnions?

Post by disko » 30 Oct 2013, 1:04 pm

I've got a Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm and it's great IMO.

Cost $510 or something too so well under your budget.
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Monty » 30 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

Meopta are building a good reputation for reasonably priced, quality glass.

I've handled them in store, but not owned myself so couldn't give you feedback on living with one.

The hands on impression is good though.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by inervate » 30 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Good I reckon.

Good glass but not paying premium for the brand (yet?).
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 31 Oct 2013, 6:20 am

Something like this oughta do the job.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/ ... estTopic=2

MeoPro 3.5-10x44. Just about covers both your ranges you mentioned, a couple of different reticle choices too... Good scope.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1sikxt » 06 Nov 2013, 7:25 pm

I have the the 3-9 on a 30-06 and it does the job quite well
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by buster » 06 Nov 2013, 7:45 pm

Better than the same price Weaver or Bushnell I reckon.

I was tossing up between Meopta and Nikon when I bought mine... Ended up going with the Nikon just because they were in stock.

Meopta was equal choice though IMO.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 07 Nov 2013, 11:07 am

buster wrote:Better than the same price Weaver or Bushnell I reckon.

Weaver are a bit hit or miss in my experience.

Even within the same series of scope... I've used 44/40 in 3-12 and one in 6.5-20. The 3-12 was rubbish IMO, but the 6.5-20 was a great scope for $300.

:|
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 02 May 2018, 4:48 pm

Anyone have an updated experience or opinion about these Meopta Meopro scopes. I have had a look through one and it seemed quite reasonable for the price.
Looking at the 6-18x50BDC.
What do you reckon?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 02 May 2018, 10:35 pm

I have that exact scope on my .308,
a 6-18x50bdc meopro.

I rate it very highly, generous eye relief, great clarity, nice chunky clicks on the turrets. For the money, very underrated glass imho. I don't understand why they aren't more popular. Easily as good or better than my Nikon scopes.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 May 2018, 5:53 am

Thanks Superduke. Appreciate your reply.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 03 May 2018, 7:44 am

Just a passing comment about the seeming fetish about 'glass'.
Image quality is the least of the issues with riflescopes but is good if it is there, after all a riflescope is an aiming device not a photographic lens.
I have just recently had the pleasure(?) of remounting a quality(?) Chinese made scope for a friend after a few months of Fclass use.
Objective lens cell loose, it rattled.
Windage adjustment working correctly over only half it's range, probably relies on recoil to move into and out of position.
Occular lens housing wobbles perceptibly, about 1 mm.
In the end all you can do is rely on the scope maker's or brand name's reputation for quality.
The quick wobbly look through a scope you might have in a shop in reality tells you nothing.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 May 2018, 7:57 am

straightshooter wrote:Just a passing comment about the seeming fetish about 'glass'.
Image quality is the least of the issues with riflescopes but is good if it is there, after all a riflescope is an aiming device not a photographic lens.
I have just recently had the pleasure(?) of remounting a quality(?) Chinese made scope for a friend after a few months of Fclass use.
Objective lens cell loose, it rattled.
Windage adjustment working correctly over only half it's range, probably relies on recoil to move into and out of position.
Occular lens housing wobbles perceptibly, about 1 mm.
In the end all you can do is rely on the scope maker's or brand name's reputation for quality.
The quick wobbly look through a scope you might have in a shop in reality tells you nothing.

G’day mate.

I agree having a look through one at the shop can only tell you so much. As you said, brand reputation is really all you have until it has been tried and tested in the field or on the range.
The other tool to find out more info is to ask those who are in the know and have personal experience with the item. If there is a positive response then I guess it can be used as an indicator of performance.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 17 May 2018, 2:07 pm

I used to shoot with a bloke who had a 6-18x50 Meopta on his 6.5x55. It's a great scope - probably the best glass for the money I've seen (and I own three Swaro Z5s and a couple of Weaver Grand Slams). It's not too heavy and the eye box is really nice. The other thing I liked about it was the Z Plex II reticle was quite thin, so excellent for target work.

If you're thinking about putting it on your 6.5CM, and you're happy with 18x, then I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On the subject of glass, if you're a target shooter then glass is always going to be one of your main considerations, because it can mean the difference between seeing and not seeing where those bullets are hitting at 200m and adjusting your aim accordingly. It's also less strain on the eye when you're looking through your scope for extended periods.

As they say, horses for courses.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics