.308 hunting rifle. Ideal scope?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: .308 hunting rifle. Ideal scope?

Post by Gwion » 29 Dec 2015, 6:53 am

Still think you should look at the Ziess HD5 3-15x50 with a Varmint reticle or the like. Much cheaper than NightForce while still being good quality; or get the HD5 in 2-10x42 for about 50% cost of the NF NSX. Will you really tell the difference in most hunting situations??? Also, for a hunting rifle, you may find that the capped turrets in the HD5 are a better option than open 'target' or 'tactical' style turrets on the NSX.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 29 Dec 2015, 10:21 am

there are lots of scopes that will do what you want and wont break the bank and are well made i would go with a 2x7 or 3x9 burris leapold redfield all well made andwont break the bank
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 29 Dec 2015, 9:26 pm

Cheers for the replies guys I already have a few midrange scopes (bushnell elites) and I'm happy with them I'm more interested in the ability of the Nightforce to hold zero after impacts etc. also be nice to have something higher range to have in my small collection
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Dec 2015, 8:48 am

If you want something really tough to take rough treatment, look at US Optics. Some online torture tests are very, very impressive. Also quite.... Umm.... Not cheap.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2015, 12:18 pm

I'd go a 3-9x50 or similar mag range if it was me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 30 Dec 2015, 1:40 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I have decided that I will probably ignore my budget and save my bickies and go for a Nightforce! Might take 12 months to save up but hey I'm hoping it'll be worth it! Thinking of a Nightforce Mil-Mil 2.5-10x42!
Thoughts anyone?

Great optics if most your shots will be from a supported position. Personally I'd keep the choice within the range of optics designed for hunting conditions rather than tactical target type stuff.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by huccl » 04 Jan 2016, 10:41 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:Thinking of a Nightforce Mil-Mil 2.5-10x42!
Thoughts anyone?

Nothing wrong as such with that but it's a bloody expensive option for a hunting rifle.

Looking at options like the Leupold VX-3 3-10x40mm or Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x50mm, they are half the price as just as good (if not better).

2c.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm

Ok all things taken into consideration the need for a target/tac style scope the need for a heavy tough scope. And the need for a high $$ scope. I decided most of you who said these were unnecessary have convinced me. :thumbsup: all the above! Unnecessary. So I decided to go with something I know and trust. Maybe not the best but I like mine. I got a bushnell elite 3500 3-9x40 with multi-X reticle. Cheers for those who convinced me not to waste money.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Ok all things taken into consideration the need for a target/tac style scope the need for a heavy tough scope. And the need for a high $$ scope. I decided most of you who said these were unnecessary have convinced me. :thumbsup: all the above! Unnecessary. So I decided to go with something I know and trust. Maybe not the best but I like mine. I got a bushnell elite 3500 3-9x40 with multi-X reticle. Cheers for those who convinced me not to waste money.

Should do the job fine mate. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 11 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm

Good idea. Leave the big, heavy, bullet proof, $5K scope for if and when you get into serious long range shooting... in which case you will probably also have a $5K rifle and treat your whole rig with kid gloves, so the need for a scope that can be thrown from a cliff will again be irrelevant! :thumbsup: :clap:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Herdsman » 13 Jan 2016, 1:21 pm

Solid choice :thumbsup:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman