what scope to get???

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

what scope to get???

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

So I went down to Qld gun exchange today and put a deposit down on my rifle was a reasonably good experience. Did come with a lot of questions and also made me question a few things. As I have said in earlier posts I will be predominantly using the rifle for long range target shooting. Up too 500m is the plan what do you guy use and recommend I was leaning towards Leopold or night force but as I said it has left me asking more questions than answers thanks again for your help guys :drinks:
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: what scope to get???

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm

Head down to the range one day and ask to look through a few.
You can get some decent glass at very good prices, and you can get some truly awesome glass if you're willing to drop the cash.
A lot of it will come down to what you're using it for, if hunting around dusk is in your plans, then you'll want something with good light gathering abilities, perhaps a 30mm tube and larger objective.
But if this isn't something you'll be getting into, and its purely for targets, the main thing is a good reticle, the right zoom range and very clear glass.
This is where the tripto the range to trythings out comes in
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Feb 2016, 10:22 am

The people who shoot F-Class with the QRA at Belmont know scopes. They aren't a bunch of old fuddy duddys. They really know their stuff and can shoot like stink. Try Brisbane rifle club. Ring the QRA for the captain's number and talk to him. Don't just drop in unannounced because they have very busy Fixture days once a month when they won't have much time to talk. If I had gone there 15 years ago, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and money. They shoot a form of prone benchrest. Not what you were thinking but go and pick their brains anyway.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 08 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

On the tacticool paper hole punchers, I use the Night Force NXS 8-32x56 with the MOAR-T reticle which is a good compromise of quality / features vrs price. On the Long Range Giant Bunny Slayer I'm using a S&B PMII 12-50x56 FFP which is an awesome scope with an equally matching price tag. I'm currently building a custom rifle that will get fitted with a March 8-80x56 LR Tactical and this will be dedicated purely to 1000yd benchrest competition cause the bastard will weigh 15-20kgs and I'm too fat to grunt it around a paddock chasing bunnies big or small.

The whole "What Scope to Get" is a very contentious issue that generally can only be answered by yourself based on budget and likes. If you are purely looking to dedicate the rifle to 500m competition then hit the range as others have suggested and see what the people in the know are using. Ask the right questions like, what made you choose scope X for this rifle / competition? What do you like / dislike about it? Perceived strengths & weaknesses of the chosen scope, Enough eye relief for you, range of diopter adjustment if you wear glasses. Talk to a few people to get a consensus of opinion cause what one loves the others may hate.

You only mentioned scope...Rings and bases are equally important as is proper installation being critical to accuracy (Lapping / Torqueing / Alignment / Calibration). It's a massive waste of time and $ to mount a big $ scope on a set of crappy bases and rings bought cheap on eBay cause you blew the budget on the scope (I've seen this done and it wasn't pretty).

Possibly best bang for buck is the Leupold Mk4 LR/T range for dual range / hunting use.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Feb 2016, 10:37 am

How much did you pay for the nxs scope Brett have been looking at the night force range. The biggest killer that i have found so far is oppions from one person/shop one person hates a certain brand another rates it. I have roughly 3k put aside for a scope and mounting . And ideally hope to shoot out to 500. I find the abilaty to hit things consistently at 500 more appealing. Thanks again
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Feb 2016, 10:48 am

Slightly off topic, but does anybody have experience with the Burris Eliminator range?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 09 Feb 2016, 11:28 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:How much did you pay for the nxs scope Brett have been looking at the night force range. The biggest killer that i have found so far is oppions from one person/shop one person hates a certain brand another rates it. I have roughly 3k put aside for a scope and mounting . And ideally hope to shoot out to 500. I find the abilaty to hit things consistently at 500 more appealing. Thanks again

The NXS 8-32x56 retails around the $2200, if you shop around you may save a couple bucks but try to support your local dealer if possible. Being in QLD give Stuart or Annie at http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/categories/scope-rings-and-mounts.html a call and explain what you have and seek their advice on the best path forward. Great people to deal with and between them hold many benchrest titles so they know their 5hit :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 09 Feb 2016, 3:07 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote: The biggest killer that i have found so far is oppions from one person/shop one person hates a certain brand another rates it.

Just to remind you that Brett did say it was "contentious".
There could be a very good reason why people hate a certain brand and one is that it gave them a lot of trouble. If you talk to those blokes at BRC, you will discover that they all give trouble. A reason why someone might recommend a brand is that it has not given trouble yet.
Even the dear ones stuff up. I read where an Australian F-Class Open champion had two Marches. One was a spare, fitted with mounts and adjusted to the zero of the range he was shooting in case his in-use-scope, suddenly went haywire.

Sorry about the bad news mate but Good Luck whatever you do.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 16 Feb 2016, 2:01 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Even the dear ones stuff up. I read where an Australian F-Class Open champion had two Marches. One was a spare, fitted with mounts and adjusted to the zero of the range he was shooting in case his in-use-scope, suddenly went haywire.

That's a fair bit of cash to having sitting there just in case :?

March are not cheap.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm

VICHunter wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Even the dear ones stuff up. I read where an Australian F-Class Open champion had two Marches. One was a spare, fitted with mounts and adjusted to the zero of the range he was shooting in case his in-use-scope, suddenly went haywire.

March are not cheap.

Agree. I am a pensioner and the expense alone, is out of the question. But when money is no object, who knows how you would feel?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 Feb 2016, 8:15 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
VICHunter wrote:

March are not cheap.

Agree. I am a pensioner and the expense alone, is out of the question. But when money is no object, who knows how you would feel?

If money weren't a option id be going through a different line. The cash came from working 62 hours a week id probably be doing 10 hours of driving on top of that too was a bad point in time for me at least. Saved a heap of cash found out how hard I could push myself before id snap/break. pulled 4 or 5 36 hour shifts sleep for 8 then do another 12 crazy days.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 16 Feb 2016, 9:28 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Slightly off topic, but does anybody have experience with the Burris Eliminator range?

I used one briefly the other day, and it ranged OK if and only if it was a definite large solid object. Would not do a tree say at 30m :crazy:

I do recall Ozzie not able to get it to work past about 500 or 600 yards either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxRaRGfGXYU

YMMV
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 16 Feb 2016, 9:34 pm

Possibly best bang for buck is the Leupold Mk4 LR/T range for dual range / hunting use.

this could be good advice. Leupold make very nice gear, and the factory warranty is carried by NIOA and they have a fully certified factory repair facility in Brisbane. QGE buy NIOA supplied Leupolds as best I know, unlike another place that may or may not have grey imports. So that would be my choice made easy.

All 6 rifles I have have Leupold or 1x Redfield (USA) (for a .22) on them apart from one rifle my wife inherited from her dad. It has a terrible scope on it…..it may end up with a Redfield 3-9x40 before long too. I am happy with them.

I do not do long range shooting though so YMMV
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 17 Feb 2016, 12:11 am

Brett, any experience with the night force shv range? I'm toying with the idea of shifting my deposit from the synthetic Adler to the shv 4-14x56 with molar reticle. I wouldn't bother with the illuminated version
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 17 Feb 2016, 11:08 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Brett, any experience with the night force shv range? I'm toying with the idea of shifting my deposit from the synthetic Adler to the shv 4-14x56 with molar reticle. I wouldn't bother with the illuminated version

Haven't owned or used one and have only seen them on the shelf at the shop so I can't really comment. They look the goods though and I like the MOAR reticle cause it makes using a holdover so much easier.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 17 Feb 2016, 11:30 am

Same here, I like the moar, the 30mm tube and 56 objective. Should be the goods at dusk
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 17 Feb 2016, 11:38 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 24 Feb 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Feb 2016, 1:44 pm

Used? Good idea. Get an old Leupold and send it to NIOA for reconditioning :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 17 Feb 2016, 2:33 pm

Any idea what the cost of a scope reconditioning is off the top of your head?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Feb 2016, 7:17 pm

RealNick wrote:Any idea what the cost of a scope reconditioning is off the top of your head?

I assumed that if it was a Leupold, anything that did not work would be fixed for free. Have heard of them replacing broken parts for nothing. Best to check with Nioa first though. As for recondition, I think that is free too.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Redwood » 02 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

That'd be bloody good service from NIOA of that's right.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 03 Mar 2016, 9:21 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Same here, I like the moar, the 30mm tube and 56 objective. Should be the goods at dusk

And it's a good workout carrying the scope around :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics