Why Is It So??

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Why Is It So??

Post by Strikey » 15 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm

Not just some blokes theory, Bigfella, ask any F-class, Silhouette, Field Rifle shooter or an air rifle Field Target shooter that are at the top level of their game, these disciplines require accurate repeatable turret adjustments so they have a zero at every yardage, you need to trust your scope. I have had early model Tasco's fail, a Simmons Gold Medal varmint which are no longer available wear out its turrets and does not hold zero, recently sent back a Leupold that had done a lot of work and have seen many scopes fail during comps. I would not call it running in as such but it does pay to wind the elevation/windage turrets to their extremes, ensures everything is operating as intended, then centre them before sighting in and as I stated earlier when adjusting wind the turrets past where you want and wind back whether that be left/right or up/down :thumbsup:

Adding to the argument about cheap scopes, I recently had to retire my 30yr old Nikko 6x40, when my 12yr old son reckons it was getting a bit blurry ( his eyes are way better than mine :lol: ) I knew it was time to let it go, bugger, but I do have another Nikko that I will not be replacing any time soon, I don't really care where the glass in it is made, it is doing the job required very well on a hunting rifle ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2016, 6:46 pm

Yep as I said if ya fiddling with turrets all the time buy something that is up to it, if not the cheaper stuff will do fine for the average hunting situation. :thumbsup:

I hope my Tasco's never die, the things never shift point of aim (one I haven't adjusted for nearly 20yrs or more) and only time I did adjust it was when I changed ammo brands and it needed a little tweak to get back on POA. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 15 Feb 2016, 8:08 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 24 Feb 2017, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Strikey » 15 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

I think we all know you don't like anything made in China, Happyhunter, so lets give it a rest, hey, none of this is helping the OP who probably doesn't really care where parts of his scope are made, he just wants a helping hand with sighting in his scope :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by nords » 17 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

p3seven wrote:Could there be a lag in the movement of the recticule after adjustment? My last adjustment was right and up. The recticule may stick then move some time after the after the adjustment is made.

Possibly by a click or so, going from zero to 3" high at 100m though would be 12, if the internals were so sloppy that things were jumping around by a dozen clicks at a time you'd notice/feel it easily on examination and shooting I'd say.

My 2c, I'd check everything from the ground up, even if something appears tight, loosen and re-tighten it, in case it's stuck on the thread or a piece of debris is stopping it from going all the way.

Start at the action, then bases, then rings.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by p3seven » 17 Feb 2016, 12:07 pm

50 & 100 m 16_2_16 2.jpg
50 & 100 m 16_2_16 2.jpg (25.97 KiB) Viewed 3509 times

To hopefully finish the story. After checking everything to do with screws and mounts and rails and actions I went over everything with the torque screwdriver and equaled everything out so to speak. Nothing was really out of spec. Off to the range.

Last Friday the scope was high 3" and right an inch. Yesterday I clicked down 16 and up 4 (1/4 moa per click) then left 8 and right 4. Gave the turrents a tap and started work. 5 shots at target 50 m and I moved up 2 clicks tapped the turrent, following my new adjustment routine. Put the rifle aside for an hour.

Came back and set up a new target 50 m The results are the white patches. Put the black dot on 1.6 inches above the aim point (the black diamond) and moved to 100 m. The results above are the pleasing to me in that anything I aimed at would be dead and according to the ballistics I should be on the black diamond at 200 m. It was too hot in Brisbane to walk out to 200 m and back 4 times yesterday.

I will give everything a rest for a week and test again. Thanks all. I am I hopefully getting closer to being able to shoot and kill my target pests (with repeatibility) anything between 50 and 200 m with no real adjustment to my aim point.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 17 Feb 2016, 12:46 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 24 Feb 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 17 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

Good news, P3seven. Happy days!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Feb 2016, 11:17 am

I don't know if this is correct but was there a temerature difference on the 2 days you shot? Some ammo shoots differently depending on the temperature just something to think about. If mounts rings action screws and scope check out
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cooker » 10 Mar 2016, 1:37 pm

happyhunter wrote:I like that chinese dating show :D

Or their endurance shows where people run impossible challenges and get messed up lol
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics