Scope for MS

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for MS

Post by AnotherMisfire » 19 Feb 2016, 7:31 am

Last edited by AnotherMisfire on 02 Mar 2016, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: CZ scope for MS

Post by happyhunter » 19 Feb 2016, 8:13 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bosbefok » 19 Feb 2016, 7:00 pm

Had one on my ruger .308. Lasted 2 yrs light hunting about 200 rounds.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Feb 2016, 12:44 am

Realistically you won't need much being as it will be sitting atop a rimfire.

Given the situation, pick something with a reticle you like and that you find comfortable to look through and run with that. You could get into the whole quality and reliability debate, but in this situation most scopes would be fine.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Strikey » 20 Feb 2016, 6:25 am

You will be wasting your time and money with a Tasco 3-9 for silhouette shooting, at a minimum I suggest a 4-12 or even a fixed 12power with target turrets that are repeatable so you can have a zero for each animal e.g chicken/40m, pig/60m, turkey/77m, ram/100m. Rimfire silhouette is a discipline in which you will improve and want more magnification and some thing like a cheap Tasco will soon become your handicap, go to a silhouette shoot and you will see that the majority of shooters have Leupolds mounted on their rifles, they have been the benchmark scope for a lot of years :thumbsup: The CZ is a quality rifle that is usually very accurate with most brands of ammo, it deserves decent optics ;)

Edit; forgot to add don't get a scope with any reticule other than a fine duplex or a dot crosshair, you don't want the distraction of some of those rangefinding reticules which tend to be quite busy to look through while standing unsupported attempting to knock over tiny targets ;)
Last edited by Strikey on 20 Feb 2016, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 20 Feb 2016, 7:01 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Realistically you won't need much being as it will be sitting atop a rimfire.

Given the situation, pick something with a reticle you like and that you find comfortable to look through and run with that. You could get into the whole quality and reliability debate, but in this situation most scopes would be fine.

The O.P has asked about a scope for silhouette shooting, reading your advice I take that you do not know anything about this discipline, so in this situation most scopes will not be fine, the cheap ones will always fail and usually in very short time even if on a rimfire :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

Granted, I don't shoot silhouette, I'm a hunter, so I'm happy to yield to someone with experience in the discipline. I wouldn't have thought it would have been overly burdensome on the scope, but then when I posted I overlooked that you would constantly be dialling in and out to different zeroes, so I take your point.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 Feb 2016, 5:20 pm

Yep. My Vortex Diamondback didn't like me dialing back and forth for windage and range. Was very good for set and forget, but not so much for targets at various zero points or dialing for wind.

If it's for target work, definitely get something that is up to the task of dialing regularly and repeatably returning to the same zero point.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AnotherMisfire » 26 Feb 2016, 5:13 pm

Completely forgot about the target turrets duh.

Thanks guys - most of my time has been outside of comp shooting - although I used to do metallic silhouette, I had the advantage of using a mate's setup or my trusty low grade (but accurate) rimfire with a Leupold VX-II in 3-9.

It's going to take me a bit of time to try and get up in the magnification. Looking through the scope at anything more than 12x and you would swear a chihauha that needed to s**t was taking aim.

AM
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gregg » 16 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

AnotherMisfire wrote:Looking through the scope at anything more than 12x and you would swear a chihauha that needed to s**t was taking aim.

Ha.

What're you using as a rest at the moment?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Scope for MS

Post by Wheelbarrow » 17 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

Yeah chihauha's make bad rests :lol:
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow