Scope for .223

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope for .223

Post by Dogga85 » 21 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

I'm struggling to find a Leupold with similar specs at a similar price :s
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigtone » 21 Feb 2016, 8:36 pm

i will add my vote for the Zeiss if your budget goes there. i have a 3-12 x 50 on my 223 but sometimes could do with a little more magnification but maybe that is just my old eyes! had a 3-9 x 40 originally but wasn't as good as the rifle could shoot.
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 21 Feb 2016, 9:21 pm

Strikey wrote:And you have been shooting for how long and how many scopes have you used in that time?

Two scopes, about 7 months shooting :)

Strikey wrote:If you are directing your comment at me

I have, indeed. More in a conversational way though, I wasn't having a go or anything.

Strikey wrote:I do not own anything European, out of my budget

This is subjective.

Strikey wrote:and generally too heavy to enable my rifles to make weight for the disciplines I shoot.

Brands you listed below suggest that this is not true.

Strikey wrote:I reckon you might be like a lot of newbies who are drawn in by Vortex's slick advertising, they must have learnt something from Harley Davidson

I would love to have a Harley!
Anyway, I understand optics - nothing to do with shooting. And I have done a lot of research before I dropped $1000+ on a scope. Everything I read lead me to Vortex, mind you I haven't seen any ads or heard about them before hand. I think it's time to stop clutching to old school brands and explore something new :clap:

Strikey wrote:personally I buy scopes that suit the intended purpose regardless of name

No, because you just discounted Vortex entirely, again, kind of contradicting yourself. They do have a big selection, you know. I think you just don't like them. That's cool though, each to their own. I personally, really dislike LG - but their latest phones are amazing.

Strikey wrote:that's why I have everything from a Sabre, Nikko Stirling, Leupold, Sightron and Nightforce, will not own a Vortex as I think they are over-rated and a person can do better with their money :thumbsup:

Put your money where your mouth is... Show me the same specification at the same price on Leupold or Nightforce? Maybe on usedguns.com - but I haven't seen anything brand new with warranty. They are a new company and they sell stuff cheap and back it up by solid warranty. Not because they are s**t, but because they are a disruptor. I have no issues with that. Some people prefer to go with established old boys, me on the other hand, like you said, use my money wisely and chose right tool for the job.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Feb 2016, 9:34 pm

Dogga85, anyway been there, done that not very long ago... this was my thought process: http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/09/13 ... selection/ - perhaps links here will help you decide on what you need and what you should spend.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 21 Feb 2016, 11:51 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Strikey » 22 Feb 2016, 5:09 pm

Two scopes, about 7 months shooting :)

FMD, I wonder why I bother with forums at times :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Strikey on 25 Feb 2016, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dogga85 » 22 Feb 2016, 7:10 pm

Since these recommendations i've been doing a lot of research across reviews and heaps of other forums. There is so much praise for the Vortex Viper scopes, I'm defiitely going to grab one for my .223, most likely the VIPER HS 4-16X44 VMR1 MOA RETICLE, perfect price for me at $800
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 22 Feb 2016, 9:26 pm

Strikey wrote:FMD, I wonder why I bother with forums at times :lol: :lol:

Don't know mate, maybe so you can rock-up and tell people how awesome you are, instead of using this as a collaborative forum that it is and answering OPs question, factoring in all variables set out by the OP and basing it on your worldly experience.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm

Also look at Bushnells elite tactical series they are well priced and very good quality for the money I have an ET6245FG with the G2 reticle great scope with a great reticle I would definately recommend.

Edit: I have 4 bushnell scopes all the elite series. 3-9x40 duplex reticle (x2) 5-15x40 mil dot reticle great scope but reticle is too thick. The 6-24x50 Has the best reticle check out the G2 reticle
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Feb 2016, 9:04 pm

Strikey & Juststarting - Relax / Rasslabsja

Has anyone on the forum had a bad experience with Vortex or know someone who has? I don't own any of their scopes apart from a spotting scope and have no exposure to their rifle scopes even though I have a dealer account with the importer (ExtraVision). Like yourself Strikey I'm a horses for courses type and fit the best possible scope to the rifle for it's intended purpose, Juststarting has never held himself up to be anything other then an enthusiastic shooter willing to openly share his learning experiences so that others don't fall into some of the same traps he did. Never wise to do the chest beating and bragging about how good you are or how many titles you've won cause as we all know, without proof / pictures it's all B.S.

The interesting thing about scope lenses is that the bulk of them are made in china, very few companies make their own glass these days. Leupold openly admits on their sight to procuring lenses from third parties.

https://www.leupold.com/about-us/americas-optics-authority/

Good reference to all sorts of things from the precision rifle blog about what the "Pros" use....Vortex was third most popular in 2014 which really surprised me. I was researching benchrest barrel choices in case Lilja won't make what I'm after.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/22/best-rifle-scope-what-the-pros-use/

Where scope lenses come from....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nX-yMr0__Q

Enough of the chest thumping and back to playing nice, lest the mods get involved.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 24 Feb 2016, 9:08 pm

brett1868 wrote:Rasslabsja

I am impressed. :drinks:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 9:59 pm

As I keep saying. Both my Vortex scopes are good to look through and even go pretty good under a light. I found that the diamond back are great for repeatable tracking performance. The PST on the rifle used as a club rifle is on and off the rifle each week, soaked back and forth for range and windage; it is good and clear to look through and has held its zeros perfectly for the last year at least.

I don't think you will be to disappointed. If it suits your needs and budget, go for it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by ebr love » 01 Mar 2016, 1:05 pm

What now?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

ebr love wrote:

What now?

Vodka...of course :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 01 Mar 2016, 1:19 pm

lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusC » 03 Mar 2016, 9:26 am

Speak strayan dammit it! :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 04 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm

Yeah what is this rasslabsja
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 04 Mar 2016, 8:06 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Yeah what is this rasslabsja

Rasslabsja = Relax in Russian

Juststarting understands Russian and me being married to a Russian Princess I thought I'd "speak" to them in their own language :)

I speak a little Russian and speak enough Swedish to get a feed, get drunk and get my face slapped. My attempt at bringing a little multiculturalism to the forum :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 04 Mar 2016, 9:54 pm

Ok cool! I'm all for multiculturalism :friends: if the imports are happy to call themselves Aussies and live peacefully and in that case I recon the more the merrier. :drinks: :drinks: My brother in law is from chile. Me I'm a 5th generation Aussie so I don't understand anything other than Australian I mean English!
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2016, 6:29 pm

"Ok cool! I'm all for multiculturalism". +1
Where would we be still eating crap canned spaghetti. :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Mar 2016, 6:53 pm

I'd be in trouble if I didn't support multiculturalism. Dutch, Scottish, Spanish...... Etc, etc. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for cross cultural relations.
Last edited by Gwion on 05 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Mar 2016, 7:19 pm

Agreed! Though I'm less of a bitser. Mostly German for me. Mum is all German blood and dad is German Pommy cross.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2016, 9:22 pm

Convict stock here. Came over in chains. :thumbsup: And proud of it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2016, 9:22 pm

Convict stock here. Came over in chains. :thumbsup: And proud of it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Mar 2016, 9:30 pm

Oldbloke, we heard you the first time.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 11:46 am

to be sure
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 11:48 am

to be sure.

Nah, it happens to the best of us, as well as myself occasionally. your internet connection lags for a moment and then it sends twice.
No harm in the occasional double post. And not too bad anymore. At least these days the mods don't follow him around deleting the double posts...

:) :) :)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 06 Mar 2016, 8:23 pm

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for cross cultural relations.

Neither would my son...I tried some cross cultural relations tonight but got a knock back, I never figured the princess as a racist :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2016, 8:26 pm

Oh dear, think we need to move into later night forum thread
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 07 Mar 2016, 8:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:
I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for cross cultural relations.

Neither would my son...I tried some cross cultural relations tonight but got a knock back, I never figured the princess as a racist :lol:

It happens to the best of us!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics