Correct Scope Mounting.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Correct Scope Mounting.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Feb 2016, 7:33 pm

I was just wondering how you guys make sure your scope is aligned with your bore. I'm not talking about your reticle but the scope body itself. So you can make sure you have maximum reliable adjustment available. I have just remounted my bushy ET6245FG on my howa 1500 with an EGW HD 20moa rail and HD 30mm rings as such there is no adjustment in my mounting gear. To bore sight I adjusted about 10 clicks left to get roughly centre is this ok?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Correct Scope Mounting.

Post by southeast varmiter » 27 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm

Only way to make sure is turn turret all the way to one end. Then count rotations to other end. Come back half way then do your bore sighting again. May need less than 10 clicks. :)
Also remember. If your scope is not perfectly levelled against the action. The 20 Moa drop will offset the point of aim to right or left too.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Feb 2016, 8:16 pm

I did re zero my scope to factory zero or true zero. How does the 20moa rail change windage? If I find my scope is too far out with windage adjustment how can I correct that with fixed mounts?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 27 Feb 2016, 8:46 pm

Step one. Make sure vertical axis is true. Else when you change elevation you will get windage error as well. Else there are rings that have adjustable bases. It could also be that the mounts are slightly out.
Check the vertical axis first
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 27 Feb 2016, 9:31 pm

Counting out turret clicks mechanically centers the scope. To optically center the reticle you need to use either the mirror method or sit the scope loose in the mounts (remove the to clamp) and make elevation and windage adjustments until you can rotate the scope in the mount (or a V block) without the reticle shifting mark.

Once you do that, assuming the mounting holes and mounts are square the windage should be dead on down the boar with only elevation adjustments needed to boresight the scope. You need a reticle leveler tool to ensure the elevation tracks true, otherwise elevation changes will take the point of aim either left or right.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 27 Feb 2016, 9:35 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Step one. Make sure vertical axis is true. Else when you change elevation you will get windage error as well. Else there are rings that have adjustable bases. It could also be that the mounts are slightly out.
Check the vertical axis first

Yep, vertical alignment is critical as adding 20moa via the rail will give you some drift in windage if not perfectly vertical. For distance shooting I set the bases up so that I'm zero at 100m with the scope 4-5 clicks from the bottom stopper which in the case of the S&B I have 174cm of adjustment left or approx. 74moa. No point having the range of adjustment in the middle for 100m cause you've effectively lost half the range in the first 100m. The rail on the big BR 50 will come in around 190moa for the rail. The Cheytac has the ERA-TAC 0-70moa adjustable inclination mount which gives me up to 144moa elevation to reach out and smack something in the head way out there :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 27 Feb 2016, 9:36 pm

10 clicks to get to centre is fine. That is really good actually.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Feb 2016, 9:55 pm

brett1868 wrote:Yep, vertical alignment is critical as adding 20moa via the rail will give you some drift in windage if not perfectly vertical.

Roger. Have done this. But haven't touched my vertical adjustment yet as it looks like I'll be on paper at 25 with it as is so hopefully I'll manage to get out the back tomorrow and get a 100 yard zero with some of the tips you guys have given me. It's Just that this is my first time setting up a "long range" rifle. ok so at this stage I might just try 4-600yds and if I can ring steel I'll think about going further. I just wanted to make sure I could get my scope as close to centre as possible before trying.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Feb 2016, 6:19 pm

So I followed the advice given on centreing the scope and was basically spot on for windage. One click right I think. (Adjusted 10 right bore sighting and returned 9 after shooting at 25yd. :unknown: Elevation was around 36 clicks down 18 to a 25yd 0 and another 18 or so for a 100yd 0
Here is my prone setup. Bit flash I recon black wolf backpack with a couple jumpers stuffed inside as a rest. And an old bunker tarp so I don't get too much sand blowing up onto the rifle. Used an old sighting in paper hence all the holes taped up. Once I had I sighted I taped my holes up and shot a .5" with 125gr TNTs
Attachments
image.jpeg
Flash shooting setup.
image.jpeg (106.93 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
image.jpeg
.525" group at 100yd
image.jpeg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 14 Apr 2016, 10:51 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:Bit flash I recon black wolf backpack with a couple jumpers stuffed inside as a rest. And an old bunker tarp so I don't get too much sand blowing up onto the rifle.

You're very fancy :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 23 Apr 2016, 10:01 am

G'Day Fella's,

Mallee Farmer FYI viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5076

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2016, 6:08 pm

I use the mirror method too, that seems to get the Xhairs spot on then just a matter of adjusting the vertical and small adjustment in horizontal to get it where I want it in relation to the bore etc
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Usurper » 10 May 2016, 3:27 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Here is my prone setup. Bit flash I recon black wolf backpack with a couple jumpers stuffed inside as a rest.

The old back pack has served many a shooter well :thumbsup:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics