Scope for my .233

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for my .233

Post by Shadd » 21 Mar 2016, 10:28 pm

Hey guys probably a stupid question but is this scope any good for a first scope for varminting.
http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=162&ProductID=665

I don't wanna buy anything to outrages budget is kinda over stretched atm with my bike so I can't afford anything greater for now.
Old man had an older version of the same scope said it was really good for a budget scope.
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scope for my .233

Post by David Brown » 21 Mar 2016, 11:03 pm

My thought on this is simple. A 3-9x40 is what you need. Simple as that.

Now as for brand…..well a Redfield Revolution is going to be a bit dearer than the TASCO, but it is far closer to its sister Leupold in quality, and nothing like a Schmidt&Bender.

Many options but a good scope is possibly more important that the rifle.

Others may see differently. YMMV
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shadd » 21 Mar 2016, 11:17 pm

But isn't 6-24x42 more powerful then 3-9x40?
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 21 Mar 2016, 11:54 pm

Yes, but depending on what/where/how you hunt, 6x may be a little too powerful. For hunting with a .223 I would suggest 3-9 would be a good balance and range. 3x is low enough for working at relatively close ranges and 9x would be enough for most work at ranges where the .223 is effective.

Now, if you were setting up and popping bunnies like Elmer, a 6-24x might make more sense, but for us mere mortals, a 3-9x would be sufficient, especially if you'll be spending some time in bushy arrears.

There are plenty of scopes that will fit your bill, some better than others. As DB says, redfields are good value for money for a set and forget type hunting scope, and are decent glass. I have a couple and no complaints so far. There is also vortex, zeiss, etc. And don't rule out second hand. Some of the old tacos Japanese tacos are quite good, solid and reliable and would serve you well on a .223, as will various other older scopes. As with most things concerning firearms, a lot comes down to personal preference and experience
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shadd » 22 Mar 2016, 12:08 am

Well I'll be in open fields like Elmer spotlighting/bushy areas aswell as hilly terrain. With long shots across the valley or down into the valley plus i kinda wanna use it as binocs aswell so as to limit the gear I carry on those long walks as I don't have a quad so a good zoom would be useful
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 22 Mar 2016, 11:46 am

You can pick up light weight monocular or binos pretty cheap that will be able to spot stuff within reasonable 223 range. Much better than sweeping everything with a loaded rifle. Sure, the cheap ones wont be great but my old, sub $100 Nikon 10x could pick out detail at 300m+ (until they broke in my pack after years of use; don't chuck your gear around too much!).

Last year, i was hitting bullseyes at 500yd with a 3-9x on a 223 with 50gn bullets. Not often, but i could see the bull and hit it.
There are also 2-10x & 3-15x available if you feel you need that bit extra. I't worth spending a little extra if you plan on dialing things around a lot. Heaps of budget scopes are just fine for set and forget but start wandering around when being dialed back and forth. My Vortex BlackDiamond, for instance ($250ish), doesn't like being dialed around too much but i've used the PST (Vortex: $7-900+ depending on model) that gets dialed around all the time and is bang on zero. Not that you have to spend that much, but look into the accuracy of dialing mechanisms on any scope you plan to be fiddling with on a regular basis.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by David Brown » 22 Mar 2016, 10:07 pm

I have a 6-24 or something like that range in a Leupold VXIII on a Tika T3 6.5mm.

If you want the longer range that will work, but the 6.5mm Tikka is not much good to me walking in scrub with targets in the 50-80m range.

Pick ya poison.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 23 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

Or the all rounder a 4-16x50 would also be a good choice
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

Look at the Nikon range mate, I own redfields and they don't come close to a Nikon for clarity or turrets etc and my Nikons are well equal to my Zeiss Conquest too!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Mar 2016, 3:20 pm

what's a .233?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shadd » 23 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

.223 ...
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2016, 8:06 pm

Shadd wrote:.223 ...

He knows, he's just being a smartarse. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm

What did you want to use the rifle for mainly? that will help determine a better recommendation re mag range etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Mar 2016, 8:36 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Shadd wrote:.223 ...

He knows, he's just being a smartarse. :D

Who.... me???

Given that 233 is half way between 223 and 243.... it could have gone either way.

If I was a smartarse I'd say 223 What?....

First of all get rid of the bike if it gets in the way of your shooting..... learn to prioritise your life :)

Redfields are entry leupold and were what was the vx1...in quality when the vx1 was said to move to vx2 in quality....

Redfield or vx is a good start :thumbsup:

I cant see a difference but the wife swears the rf is more clear than the vx1... she also sees a dozen different blues..... i see 'blue'. :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 23 Mar 2016, 9:02 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:what's a .233?

22 Hornet bullets are .223", but you know what he means.

Now back to scopes.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_s ... fle_scopes
http://www.ozgunsales.com/searchresults ... order=desc

Filter through that lot. Might find something nice for your 223 Remington that fits your budget.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by David Brown » 24 Mar 2016, 1:56 pm

Gen3, I would agree. The Redfield Revolution on my 22LR is clearer than a VX that was on SWMBO's fathers rifle a while back. They really are good value for money.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Mar 2016, 4:00 pm

happyhunter wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:what's a .233?

22 Hornet bullets are .223", but you know what he means.

Now back to scopes.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_s ... fle_scopes
http://www.ozgunsales.com/searchresults ... order=desc

Filter through that lot. Might find something nice for your 223 Remington that fits your budget.

Where was the hornet reference???

honestly..... you guys do your best to bring out the smartarse in me.... theyre not 223, actually theyre 5.70mm or 0.224 :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

David Brown wrote:Gen3, I would agree. The Redfield Revolution on my 22LR is clearer than a VX that was on SWMBO's fathers rifle a while back. They really are good value for money.

So you're in agreement with the wife?? Given that the First production of Redfields (I think they then made another range) were said to be equivalent to the VX1 scope....so perhaps they took over the VX1 machinery line ust as savage did with the model 110 to Stevens...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by David Brown » 24 Mar 2016, 11:35 pm

Yes, just a newer bit f glass technology on the VX1 platform….no extra investment but a revamp to an old faithful…..and a profitable flagship of the 2nd tier product range.

Makes sense.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 1:33 am

quote]

First of all get rid of the bike if it gets in the way of your shooting..... learn to prioritise your life :)[[/quote]

But my bike is well my bike I can't just toss her to the gutter and move on.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I'll have a look at red field and Nikon hopefully they in my overstretched budget haha but good news I may of just come into some money so it might make it easier :D fix the bike buy my rifle may even convince the old man to get his licence again o the joys of being young to bad I'm not gunna be able to so anything in a few months from now...
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 31 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

David Brown wrote:and nothing like a Schmidt&Bender

Should be Schmidt&Bender&EmptyWallet
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by David Brown » 31 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

Yeah……I need one for my 22 :-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 01 Aug 2016, 1:22 pm

What's that old adage bout more dollars than sense :P
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by tom604 » 02 Aug 2016, 4:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Look at the Nikon range mate, I own redfields and they don't come close to a Nikon for clarity or turrets etc and my Nikons are well equal to my Zeiss Conquest too!

+1 for the Nikon's i have two,4x14 one on my 223 and one on the 22 (didn't like the reticle on the first scope so on the 22 it went :oops: ) :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics