BSA 3-9x32 or Burris 3-9x40 rimfire scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

BSA 3-9x32 or Burris 3-9x40 rimfire scopes

Post by juzzbott » 23 Mar 2016, 7:50 pm

Hey All,

Just wanting to get some advice on 2 different scopes if people could help please. I've just purchased my first firearm (Marlin XT-22 VR) and now just waiting for the minimum 28 days for first purchase. I was originally going to get a Burris 3-9x40 scope to go on the rifle, however there was none in stock, and so for the same price point I got the BSA 3-9x32.

I generally try to research what I purchase first, so I didn't really get a chance to research the BSA before purchasing it (I haven't actually picked it up yet, as it's with the rifle, and when the permit wait is over, the shop is going to fit the scope for me).

So, I'm after any information from anyone who has used either or both of these scopes? While all the reviews are pretty positive for the BSA scope, I did read that the don't have the ability to adjust focus once the magnification has been set. Can the Burris do this? Is this something that is worthwhile having in a scope, or something I won't really notice?

Also, I notices the Burris reticle has the dots on the down vertical line to indicate drop at 100 (or 75?) yards, where as the BSA does not have this. Does this make things easier? I'm very new to the sport, so every little bit helps?

Also, the BSA comes with rings which apparently fit straight on the Marlin? There was another scope I was looking at that had Weaver mounts, so I would have needed to get rings. I'm assuming Weaver is the mounting platform for the scope?

I understand that these are the cheaper end of the scopes, and realise they won't have all the bells and whistles, but as the saying goes, buy the best that you can afford at the time. I'm hoping, depending on feedback, that if I need to, I can order in the Burris ready for pickup, however if both scopes are much of a muchness then I won't bother.

Cheers for any feedback :)
juzzbott
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: BSA 3-9x32 or Burris 3-9x40 rimfire scopes

Post by Ben78 » 10 Apr 2016, 8:24 pm

How long is a piece of string etc...
Personally, I have a Bushnell AR223 4.5-18 on my 22. Some may say this is overkill, but to me its great. I range the rabbit, dial in the dope on the turrets and take the shot. Have racked up plenty of 'longrange 22lr' kills on bunnies.
BDC reticles are set for a particular zoom range and also only suit a certain type of bullet, If it suits a 40gr 1065fps subsonic and you are using 40gr 1235fps ammo then the BDC won't help.
The focus/parallax adjustment on the BSA is a good thing, you can point the rifle at a target at 25m and focus, then 100m and focus and everything will be clear and sharp - the burris will be fixed at around 50m, which means you will have a blurry image at close targets and slight aiming errors at beyond 100m The burris has the adjustable ballistic turrets though. I would never buy a scope (for my needs) that didn't have both adjustable parallax/focus and adjustable ballistic turrets.

Most 22 rifles have a dovetail rail that is 10 or 11mm. Weaver mounts (also called picatinny rail) are 20mm. Weaver/Picatinny rail mounts won't work on a 10mm dovetail. Different mounts are available at your gun shop or online. I am happy with all of my ebay purchases when I have bought mounts.

Seeing as you already have the BSA then I would stick with it until you find yourself knowing exactly what you want in a scope.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 10 Apr 2016, 9:45 pm

I used to have an Arctic fox 2-7 x 28 scope on top of my marlin xt-22, it was even cheaper than your BSA and an air rifle scope, it shot fine at 50 yrds used to get groups under an inch with CCI standards.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chickenhawk » 25 May 2016, 9:05 am

You don't find the scope is a little low when mounted for a 28mm objective?
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics