Eye relief problem

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Eye relief problem

Post by toasthall » 27 Mar 2016, 3:28 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have only been shooting for 4 months or so. I was hoping for some advice on an issue I am having with my scope.

I have a Marlin XT22 with a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40AO scope mounted on it. The problem I am having is the eye relief of the scope is 85mm but I have to scrunch up when shooting to see properly. Where I am comfortable it is about 150mm back.

Should I be looking for a scope with longer eye relief or are there options for mounting the scope further back? The rifle is drilled and tapped for weaver bases but I think I would need some kind of offset mount?

I think I might also need higher rings but I am not certain.Part of the problem is probably that I wear glasses to see and end up having to twist up all funny to see, I'm getting some contact lenses to trial and see if that helps any.

Any ideas you guys have would be a big help.

Thanks,

Dale
toasthall
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Eye relief problem

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Mar 2016, 12:00 pm

G'day mate,
Wearing specs makes no difference regarding eye relief. If you are having vignetting problems and cannot move the scope further back in the rings, then yes, you may need to try a different scope. Try removing the ring caps, take up your rifle, and have a friend move the scope to see if you can find a "sweet spot", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 28 Mar 2016, 1:54 pm

I have tryed the contact route It didnt work for me ,
have a mate measure your length of pull on the trigger watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgIPbzKHWI
then find the right hight for your scope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLi064e_JI and i bet then your eye relief fixes itself
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by toasthall » 28 Mar 2016, 9:15 pm

Thanks guys

Pomemax, do you have an issue wearing glasses where they drop down so you end up looking over them? I have that issue which is partly the reason why I am thinking of getting contacts.

Thanks for the links, I actually found the Length of pull one this morning and followed his instructions, my nose was about 2cm back from the 5.75 inch point, which I wouldn't have thought would be enough to cause a problem.

What I did realise when I watched that video is the stance he mentions eg standing in a corner and sighting along the wall. I realised that my stance is wrong (or sits? if sitting at the bench) I have been shooting in line with the rifle instead of at an angle! The correct stance brings my eye in almost the right place!

Cheers,

Dale
toasthall
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by pomemax » 28 Mar 2016, 11:38 pm

Yes i do tend to look at the bar of the glasses a lot, and keep pushing them back . I sort of do it as the first thing my left hand come in to place my thumb hits the specs.
2 cm = 3/4 of n inch to fix that you will scrunch forward to the right spot or move the scope back a bit if you know about it you can fix it over time it is always interesting that you have muscle memorys that you will learn to handle and correct
different guns will show different thing to learn
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics