Testing scope adjustment accuracy

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Testing scope adjustment accuracy

Post by Fry » 09 Nov 2013, 1:19 pm

I'm getting frustrated with a scope I've got which I thing has a problem with adjustments but I'm having trouble confirming, hopefully you can give me some testing ideas to confirm.

It seems that my adjustments are not always right. It seems half the time when I adjust the scope it goes further or shorter than the change I made.

e.g. adjust a half in and it goes an inch, or nothing or the half inch like it should have.

Between regular group dispersal and human error I'm having trouble narrowing it down though.

Can anyone tell me a better way to test if the scope has something wrong with it's adjustments?
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Testing scope adjustment accuracy

Post by AusC » 09 Nov 2013, 4:05 pm

Do a square test with a few groups, that should give you a better idea than trying to interpret random shots.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Granting » 09 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

AusC wrote:Do a square test with a few groups, that should give you a better idea than trying to interpret random shots.

Not familiar with that, what's the deal?
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Hardcast » 09 Nov 2013, 5:04 pm

Aim at a blank sheet of paper, put a round into it, adjust the windage enough to be sure it's moved and put another round into the target, adjust the elevation same number of clicks and put another round into the target, adjust the windage back to where it was (same number of clicks) and put another round into the target. Adjust the elevation again back to where it was, and you should be back where you started.

0 0
0 0

With a good load and a good scope, you should be able to go around and around that target producing four tight groups.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 09 Nov 2013, 7:58 pm

Granting wrote:Not familiar with that, what's the deal?

Shoot a group then 12 clicks right.

Next group, 12 down.

Next 12 left

For good measure 12 clicks up and your 5th group should overlap your first is all is working well.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fry » 09 Nov 2013, 8:28 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll give the square a shoot.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria