Scope brands ranking

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope brands ranking

Post by HulkFury » 31 May 2016, 9:28 am

On the search for my first scope, and I was wondering if there is a general consensus for brand ranking. If I'm shooting at fixed target distances (50m or 100m) with good light is there much of advantage between budget brands and more expensive ones? Are BSA, Diana and Tasco's acceptables or avoids?
HulkFury
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scope brands ranking

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 31 May 2016, 9:58 am

Vortex Number 1! Vortex Number1!

Well my favourite brand anyway plus thier swag is pretty cool
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 31 May 2016, 10:15 am

You cannot rank by brand. A Chinese made tasco might be junk but a Japanese tasco is a great scope. Same goes for the other brands. Brand name does not indicate the maker. There are only a small number of manufacturers that make all the brands with very few exceptions, then you have components/partial assembly in different countries.

Japanese, USA and Euro made scopes are generally of higher quality than Chinese, Korean and Phillipines made scopes.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bluerob » 31 May 2016, 10:32 am

Having just acquired a Schmidt & Bender and spent a few years looking through a few different brands, the S&B are insanely clear, but, the cost. Lucky I aint married.

If I had the money, I'd replace a few of my scopes with S&B's. Only because the quality is so obvious.

The Bushnell Elite are ok, Vortex appear to be great value and Leopold are great. I'm using a Leopold 45X fixed for .22 bench rest shoots. Being able to see the scoring numbers helps alot with accuracy. I've shot 100/100 with this rifle once. Your looking at $1800 for one of these 45x scopes.

I've got a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster that cost $180 from Voldemorts. Put this onto a heavy barreled. 22 target rifle and it performs fine. Has an illuminated recticle of you like these? These are great value if your using rimfire only and benchrest/target shooting. $180 for a target scope is pretty good.

I think you'll find that you get what you can afford, without having to survive on honey & toast for sustanance like I am at the moment, but, I'm replacing my gun safe items after getting out and back into shooting.

If your looking at benchrest shooting only, get the biggest you can afford (remember toast & honey)....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 May 2016, 10:46 am

My opinion of the top 5 based on quality and probably dearest to cheapest as well. I use Schmidt & Bender, Kahles & Nightforce on the rifles where maximum optic quality / accuracy is required. I have a March 8-80x56 Tactical on the shopping list for project 50 as that's what I consider the pinnacle of optics at this time.

March
Schmidt & Bender
Kahles
Nightforce
Vortex

If it's only 50-100m then forget the names above and look at your budget and what offers the best value / quality / service. Don't skimp on mounts !!!
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by HulkFury » 31 May 2016, 1:25 pm

bluerob wrote:I've got a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster that cost $180 from Voldemorts.

Is that an auto correct fail? Or is the Dark Lord selling scopes?

$180 seems reasonable and about my budget.
Can anyone recommend a good online retailer?
HulkFury
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 May 2016, 2:31 pm

HulkFury wrote:
bluerob wrote:I've got a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster that cost $180 from Voldemorts.

There's a certain QLD dealer who's name cannot be mentioned so we refer to him as Voldemort. A number of members including myself have had a less then happy "Customer Experience" and since we cannot name and shame, labelling them the Dark Lord is the next best thing.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 May 2016, 4:04 pm

Pretty much any scope should be good for 50m!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bluerob » 31 May 2016, 4:34 pm

HulkFury wrote:

What Brett said and What Big Fella said too might work.

A certain QLD dealer that has a massive shop and online business.

The Nikko Sterling Targetmaster scope aint bad for $180.

Its 5-20x50. I can see the score number as though it was right in front of me at 50m.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Jun 2016, 5:52 pm

Sydney shot show is coming up June 25 & 26 so if you can wait and can get there go check out all the scopes and haggle for a bargain. I know a friend of mine will be working the Tasco stand at least one of the days so look for Brayden, mention my name and hit him up for a deal if Tasco is an option for you.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Jun 2016, 6:46 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Vortex Number 1! Vortex Number1!

Well my favourite brand anyway plus thier swag is pretty cool

X2 i have two both on rimfire rifles both are 4x12x40 one a crossfire 2, one is a diomondback
Quality bit of gear.

I have a Leica 3×15x53 on my sako clarity is great bear in mind Vortex and the leica are at two diffrent ends of the spectrum.

Best advise buy the best scope that you can afford, dont skimp on rings and mounts. Buy it right buy it once. :drinks:
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 02 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm

Zeiss Conquest!!!
Good value for money!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2016, 9:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Pretty much any scope should be good for 50m!

There is a scope i got for $70 at a local shop on my wife's old Sportco 22lr. Anywhere from 20-90m, the target is in some sort of bother. Acuter 6x40... yeah right: high quality; even works at night under light!!! Set and forget with minimal recoil, most things will work ok.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by chacka » 08 Jun 2016, 9:24 am

Look at scopes, not brands IMO

Bit rough to judge the whole brand, some have rubbish bottom end scopes, but good higher level ones.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SHV » 09 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

I have Leupold VX-3 VX-R patrol, Zeiss conquest 3-15x42 5-25x50, NightForce SHV 4-14x56 illuminated, Bushnell tactical elite ERS 6-24x50

I had Nikko Sterling before

they are all good, NF and Leupold maybe better than others
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by nightpusher1 » 27 Nov 2016, 9:49 pm

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Swarovski - amazing optics - admittedly pricey but top notch!
nightpusher1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by avalanche » 22 Feb 2017, 3:10 pm

Regardless of 'ranking' get the very best scope you can afford. I personally prefer Vortex, but no ones opinion counts as much as your eyes, and your own experience. Try some and see what works for you!
avalanche
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 22 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm

As good value for money I can highly recommend Meopta. Mid range price for high range quality. Often overlooked, they really are great scopes for the cash outlay.

I also like Nikon for good value.
Nikko Sterling , considering the cost, are excellent for an entry level scope.

March and S&B etc are undoubtedly great scopes but out of reach for a lot of us sadly.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Feb 2017, 11:26 pm

As Mick said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Zeiss,

I have two Zeiss Conquests, and two Zeiss Duralyts.

With the Duralyts I have managed to pick out rabbits and head shoot them when the dusk was deep enough that I couldn't pick em out with the naked eye.

Not knocking the other high end scopes mentioned by others, its just that I've never looked through them.
Maybe my next scope (which I need already but will have to wait) will be a S&B,,,, I'll have to look at some.

At the bottom of the barrel in my opinion are the Chinee made Tasco's.
And to help me remember,,,,,,,,, T for Tasco = T for Terrible

And, the Chinee made Bushnells are just as bad.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2017, 4:30 am

Die Judicii wrote:As Mick said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Zeiss,

I have two Zeiss Conquests, and two Zeiss Duralyts.

With the Duralyts I have managed to pick out rabbits and head shoot them when the dusk was deep enough that I couldn't pick em out with the naked eye.

Not knocking the other high end scopes mentioned by others, its just that I've never looked through them.
Maybe my next scope (which I need already but will have to wait) will be a S&B,,,, I'll have to look at some.

At the bottom of the barrel in my opinion are the Chinee made Tasco's.
And to help me remember,,,,,,,,, T for Tasco = T for Terrible

And, the Chinee made Bushnells are just as bad.

What size Objectives Ed?

I've done the same with my Nikon (3-9x50) (could just make out something with the naked eye but wasn't sure what it was until I had a look through the Nikon to confirm what it was, then set about removing its head (305m) sun had well and truly set over the other side of the hill and you needed a torch to get around safely type thing (was around 8.30ish pm and a few mins after we had the headlights on driving around to get to it as it was black as.

I also did a little test with a Philippines made Tasco if memory serves me correctly, it was around 8.20pm and I was reading a street sign with it at around 260m if memory serves me correctly and that was with just a bit of street light to help but not bad for a cheapy and it's certainly clear enough for shooting purposes but the only thing that lets that scope down is the mushy turrets (I suspect they have an issue so I will be sending those back under warranty to Bushnell (they own the tasco brand now) and see if they can upgrade the turrets as I like the class in it (compared it to my Zeiss Conquest and it holds up well against that) so figured it can't be too bad for a cheapy. The Tascos a world Class Plus not sure of year of manufacture as it came on the Sako I bought a while back.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2017, 11:05 am

bigfellascott wrote:
What size Objectives Ed?

50 mm Mate, with the #60 reticule and 30mm tube.

When I'm down south hitting bunnies and foxes, I have a special spot on a particular property that overlooks a creek.
I usually get there early afternoons, and set up over the bonnet of the vehicle.
Shoot rabbits mainly with just the scope till it gets that dark that I can't see em with the scope,,,, then I slip on the NiteSite, and continue.
The rabbits seem to go to bed shortly after total darkness some nights, but I've found that to be a sign that the foxes are coming.
They seem to follow the creek edge, and some nights I've shot as many as six, without even moving away from my "nest", (apart from walking out each time to drag the carcasses away)

There must be a huge den nearby, because I never fail to get foxes anytime I visit that spot.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2017, 2:33 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
What size Objectives Ed?

50 mm Mate, with the #60 reticule and 30mm tube.

When I'm down south hitting bunnies and foxes, I have a special spot on a particular property that overlooks a creek.
I usually get there early afternoons, and set up over the bonnet of the vehicle.
Shoot rabbits mainly with just the scope till it gets that dark that I can't see em with the scope,,,, then I slip on the NiteSite, and continue.
The rabbits seem to go to bed shortly after total darkness some nights, but I've found that to be a sign that the foxes are coming.
They seem to follow the creek edge, and some nights I've shot as many as six, without even moving away from my "nest", (apart from walking out each time to drag the carcasses away)

There must be a huge den nearby, because I never fail to get foxes anytime I visit that spot.

Thanks for that Ed, I reckon the 50mm Objective is what makes the diff between a lot of scopes, has the ability to let more light in which makes them more usable well into the last light. I was very surprised just how well that Little Nikon performs compared to the expensive stuff I've compared it too side by side, as have the owners of the expensive stuff. We all thought the Euro and Top End Leupy would smoke the little Nikon for last light performance but it wasn't the case at all they all seemed to be much a muchness with no real obvious advantage between them.

Cheers mate and get stuck into those bunnies and foxes. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2017, 7:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Thanks for that Ed, I reckon the 50mm Objective is what makes the diff between a lot of scopes, has the ability to let more light in which makes them more usable well into the last light.

That's part of the theory behind it,, but,, here is the perfect opportunity to hammer home the point that this whole thread is about.

My Duralyt has 50 mm objective lens to (as above) "let more light in".
While it is fantastic for me in low light situations with the 50 mm lens,,,,,,,

I also have one of the first released Nikko Nighteater scopes that were supposed to have been developed for low light/night over light scenarios.
And it has a 56 mm objective lens, and should theoretically let even more light in and be even better.

But the quality just isn't there compared to the Duralyt.
The Nikko never could or would keep up with the Duralyt.

So quality wins out over mediocre 99.99% of the time.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2017, 8:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Thanks for that Ed, I reckon the 50mm Objective is what makes the diff between a lot of scopes, has the ability to let more light in which makes them more usable well into the last light.

That's part of the theory behind it,, but,, here is the perfect opportunity to hammer home the point that this whole thread is about.

My Duralyt has 50 mm objective lens to (as above) "let more light in".
While it is fantastic for me in low light situations with the 50 mm lens,,,,,,,

I also have one of the first released Nikko Nighteater scopes that were supposed to have been developed for low light/night over light scenarios.
And it has a 56 mm objective lens, and should theoretically let even more light in and be even better.

But the quality just isn't there compared to the Duralyt.
The Nikko never could or would keep up with the Duralyt.

So quality wins out over mediocre 99.99% of the time.

Yes cheap arse Nikko's aren't known for great quality :D It would be the last scope I'd buy and infact I'd rather go without to be honest until I could afford something better.

By the way what Mag range was the Nikko and the Duralyt?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm

Nikko is 6 -24 mag
I still have it, but only on a 22rf,,, it is a good scope to use during daylight, and I actually love the fine milldot reticle.

The Duralyt is 3 - 12 mag, with the firedot reticle which is absolutely fantastic as you can adjust the brightness from zero right up to really bright for daylight useage.
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Feb 2017, 5:04 am

Die Judicii wrote:Nikko is 6 -24 mag
I still have it, but only on a 22rf,,, it is a good scope to use during daylight, and I actually love the fine milldot reticle.

The Duralyt is 3 - 12 mag, with the firedot reticle which is absolutely fantastic as you can adjust the brightness from zero right up to really bright for daylight useage.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for that Ed. I like the Fire Dot reticles, great to use at night, makes for quick target acquisition which comes in handy on the flighty stuff.

My mate has the same Firedot set up on his VX6 which is a nice scope (it had a better FOV than the Nikon of mine but didn't do any better in the last light tests we did with them and clarity was much a muchness with nothing real obvious between them to our eyes anyway.

Cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Adlippy » 26 Feb 2017, 6:44 pm

+1 on the meopta have two of them great scopes
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Edward Cullen » 02 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm

I agree that it cannot rank by brand. Japanese, USA and Euro made scopes are generally of higher quality than Chinese, Phillipines made scopes. Therefore, Look at scope, not brands!
Last edited by Edward Cullen on 02 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edward Cullen
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Nov 2017, 7:14 pm

I have 5 Bushnell Elites. Two 3-9x40s (awesome hunting scopes) a 5-15x40, a 6-24x50 ERS and the best of them all An LRHS 4.5-18x44. i like them a lot but no doubt the higher end scopes will be better but value for money the Bushnell Elite range is awesome probably similar to your higher end vortex scopes perhaps not quite as good as the Vortex Razor scopes.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

Can't fault the Nikon Prostaff in 3-9x50 great scope for the $$$ and made in the Philappines (looked thorough plenty of the euro stuff and couldn't really sees SFA difference between them all and I'm not the only one to come to the same conclusion those who owned them also wondered what the cost difference was after looking through bother side by side was.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics